Lister SR2 question. Is this a Tomey pressure gauge and where does it connect?

Sin Prisa

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Sin Prisa said:

Thanks Tracy. I have a soldering iron and some solder so I'll give it a shot.

Did you notice Tracy said GAS RING? It depends upon your size of iron and how its heated. I would use a blowlamp or gas ring if on the boat and silver solder. If you can braze silver solder should be a doddle

Silver soldering needs between about 600c and 700c heat for it to run, depending on which s/solder you use. Brazing with brass rod a little higher still.  Flux's required for either.

Edited by bizzard

16 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Silver soldering needs between about 600c and 700c heat for it to run, depending on which s/solder you use. Brazing with brass rod a little higher still.  Flux's required for either.

I found that you can get silver solders in different melting points now and they come flux coated. For this job I would choose a lower melting point one. I think without looking it up I saw a 400C one.

I avoided mentioning brazing with a gas ring as it would be all too easy to melt the brass nipple before it was brazed to the pipe.  Soldering with modern silver lead free plumbers solder which melts at a higher temperature than lead solder will do the job.  La-Co plumbers flux will work with most metals, copper, brass, steel but not aluminium.

12 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I found that you can get silver solders in different melting points now and they come flux coated. For this job I would choose a lower melting point one. I think without looking it up I saw a 400C one.

Yes, when I consructed model loco boilers I used Easyflow 1 2 and 3. The reason was as each stage of the construction comenced one didn't want to go and melt a previous operation. We'd start with the boilers foundation ring, hard brazed with Sifbronze and work up from that finishing off with the lowest melting silver solder for things like cab boiler, chimney, dome regulator, blast pipe fittings, all so one doesn't melt what went before.    Brazing needs a bit more of a technique than soldering, a bit like welding really.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I hope you don’t mind me coming in on this thread. I found it because I have this identical gauge on Cybele. Unfortunately it is damaged and I have been looking for a replacement, so far to no avail. Does anyone have any pointers as to where I should look to buy? Alternatively suggestions of who I might approach for repair of the gauge would be equally welcome.