Shower whale gulper stopped working just as water ran out

thingsweregood

Featured Posts

I'm trying to figure out if these things are connected, or just a coincidence: I was having a shower (my first one on my new boat), and I switched on the whale gulper pump at the wall and started to shower. After about 2 mins, the water ran out and also the pump stopped (within about 30 sec of each other). Now when I flick the pump siwtch on and off, nothing happens (no sound). But I've still got a bit of a puddle of water sloshing around in the shower tray!

Are these things connected, or did my pump just die on me coincidentally at the same moment my water tank ran dry? Any advice on how to fix it?

Arrrghh!

1 minute ago, thingsweregood said:

Arrrghh!

It sounds like an electrical problem

Did the water really run out, or did a fuse blow that stopped the (supply) pump pumping ?

If so, maybe the shower pump (Whale) is on the same feed circuit.

Are all the other taps working OK ?

Does the Whale have its own fused circuit ? Check the fuse ?

I'm wondering - politely - whether your pump is actually a Whale - or you might be using a boating term for a shower pump?

Some showers are fitted with a sump pump which contains a level switch - when the water stops coming in the pump stops - that matches part of your description.

It has been known for some folks to refer to a boat shower pump as a gulper.........

Indeed it could be a gulper with a float switch attached (??)

39 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I wonder what size fuse is in the feed to the pumps, they could well be drawing 15 amps between them, if they are both on the same circuit.

and if they are both on the same circuit AND the cables were specified for a single pump the volt drop on the cables would ensure both pumps demanded more than their rated amps.

21 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You run the gulper all the time you are showering?  Why?  A tray half full of water washes your feet!

Check fuses. Then connections.

Depends on how deep the shower tray is, I have to have the pump on all the time.

On 22/05/2021 at 17:26, Tony Brooks said:

and if they are both on the same circuit AND the cables were specified for a single pump the volt drop on the cables would ensure both pumps demanded more than their rated amps.

Thanks everyone - indeed it was a fuse issue. Shout out to the absolute legend PaulJ from the forum who chatted with me on the phone and patiently talked me through figuring out exactly where my fuse trip was (popped it back in with no issue), and then to check the amps. Looks like both pumps run off the same circuit, which has a 10A fuse. So might be that they're both pulling too much from the system.

Have settled for running the shower and gulper alternately whilst showering and that seems to work fine, and in the future I might look at getting a bigger fuse (??) or getting the pumps split onto separate circuits.

Onto the next silly question, I'm sure!

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

Thanks everyone - indeed it was a fuse issue. Shout out to the absolute legend PaulJ from the forum who chatted with me on the phone and patiently talked me through figuring out exactly where my fuse trip was (popped it back in with no issue), and then to check the amps. Looks like both pumps run off the same circuit, which has a 10A fuse. So might be that they're both pulling too much from the system.

Have settled for running the shower and gulper alternately whilst showering and that seems to work fine, and in the future I might look at getting a bigger fuse (??) or getting the pumps split onto separate circuits.

Onto the next silly question, I'm sure!

Fair enough but if you do increase the fuse size it is very important to ensure the cable is large enough. It may be easier to run a pair of new cables for one of the pumps. You need to work out the cable size using the current flow and cable run.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Fair enough but if you do increase the fuse size it is very important to ensure the cable is large enough. It may be easier to run a pair of new cables for one of the pumps. You need to work out the cable size using the current flow and cable run.

Good shout, thank you.

Alternatively...our ancient ex hire boat has a deep pan, pretty much a hip bath. And the gulper switch is spring loaded to off, so you have to keep your finger on it. So you can’t really use the shower and gulper at the same time, shower first, then empty.

• Greenie 1