Replacing a Chimney

Ellynedd

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Ellynedd said:

Hello

Can anyone advise how I replace my chimney.

Do you mean the chimney (which simply lifts off the top of the flue), or the Flue, (which is the pipe running from your stove up thru the roof, to which the chimney fits onto)

This is the chimney  and is a simple 'push-fit' onto the flue collar.

image.jpeg.8c8e0c1714817bf895ecb8cdc58c6ef4.jpeg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Madam,

Exactly what sort of chimney do you have??

Unlike  - say, a car where various components are defined and numbered, boats are more like a village blacksmith - where each item (may be) individually crafted.

There's a large range of stove and roof collar sizes from a 'proper' 6 inch set to others that represent a roof gutter type. Now hat's Alan got to say...

Aha' Alan's showing a traditional / proper fitting with a short removable stack and a 'proper roof collar.

You need to measure what you are needing supportedd by as photo from your tippy-tappi...

Edited by OldGoat

1 hour ago, Ellynedd said:

Thank you

Hi

Once you've measured for size, I was at Streethay Wharf on the A38 coming out of Lichfield on Monday and they had some reasonable quality chimneys, which are not always easy to find. They had some double ones, which are what you really want I expect.

A lot of the type like the one in the picture are cheaply Chinese made mild steel that tend to corrode and attach themselves to the collar.

I just go on EBay and get some T304 stainless exhaust pipe swaged at one end to fit the collar, like the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121383663116

You can get it cut to length and lasts a lot longer then the mild steel ones, spray it black and away you go?

Edited by PD1964

Maybe I'm taking the question "how do I replace my chimney ?", too literally, and the OP really means "where do I buy another one, what material should it be made from and what size do I need".

Many people refer to their flue as the chimney (my smoke goes up the chimney) hence my question.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Mine finally crumbled after 15 years sterling service.

So I bought a piece of .8mm gauge galvanised steel sheet off-cut from eBay and wrapped it around a vertical concrete bollard to get a tube shape.

Wrapping two loops of string around each end of the tube I was able to tighten the the diameter of the tube down to the required diameter and hold it there.

A row of drilled holes up the seam accommodated pop rivets, an aluminium ring around the top and a handle for the chain finished it.

£4 for the steel sheet inc P&P, £2 for pop rivets and £4 for half an aerosol of Black BBQ paint.

Total cost £10.

Jobs a good'un

1 hour ago, Ellynedd said:

How do I get the old chimney off and replace it with a new one......

Is it stuck on the collar? If so try tapping the bottom where it is over the collar with a hammer, all the way round. That should free it.

And if that doesn't work repeat above with 'tapping' replaced by 'belting sh*t out of'.

Edited by David Mack

and keep the chimney loose, lift it up and down every couple of months, more frequently in winter when you have a lot of fires, otherwise the rust and smoke gunge will glue it in place. Sometimes you need to take the chimney off really quick when you encounter a very low bridge.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

All mild steel chimneys rust away sooner or later, so either buy an expensive chrome steel one ("stainless") or the cheapest mild steel one, and regard it as a consumable.

But do remember that stainless is non magnetic so they are really difficult to fish out when they get knocked in by an overhanging branch.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

On 22/05/2021 at 14:54, dmr said:

and keep the chimney loose, lift it up and down every couple of months, more frequently in winter when you have a lot of fires, otherwise the rust and smoke gunge will glue it in place. Sometimes you need to take the chimney off really quick when you encounter a very low bridge.

..............Dave

Alternatively if you're not paying attention, a very low bridge can often take your chimney off really quickly ;) 

Our last one was the cheapest Midland Chandlers had to offer, would not recommend, after less than a year of intermittent use (mostly been in the front locker due to covid) its wrecked and needs replacing. It got left on for a few days in weather and was near impossible to remove, the “brass” strips are black and its rusty as heck. Spend the extra pounds or you’ll be regularly replacing it.

Can also highly recommend a length of light chain to save said chimney and oriental outdoor workers headgear when it takes the inevitable knock from trees/bridge/passerby.