Chips

PCSB

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I saw your explanation.  I'd love to know the cost per chip!  If that was the trouble I'd need to go to, I wouldn't bother even if the final product was good.  But as I've indicated earlier, air fried 'chips' are for those poor souls born without taste buds.  Your system uses more power to make a portion of 'chips' than my entire daily power use, and I work from home!

I prefer air fried chips,  dip it in curry sauce/tomato sauce(dont like salt/vinegar)... every time I eat chip shop chips, feel like something sticking to my throat.

Edited by restlessnomad
fried not friend

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I make my chips in the normal way.  I cut up a potato or two, par-boil for 3-4 minutes.  Then into very hot fat/oil in a chip pan on the hob for about 8-10 minutes or when they look the right colour.  They come out just as good as chippy chips but slightly different.  Less squishy.  To be safe, I always turn the burner off briefly when I add the potatoes to the oil and I keep a good eye on the pan.  No chip pan fires in my life so far.

Air fryer chips are an abomination and don't deserve to be called chips.  They're worse even than oven chips.  Thankfully an air fryer is a non starter when off grid anyway.

Oil? You use OIL??? And you only cook them twice?!?!?

Everyone knows you should use dripping, and fry them twice after parboiling them ?

Edited by IanD

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Chip shop chips are great, provided that you can stop them putting salt on! Like TV chefs, they always use far too much of it.

TV chefs do bung loads of salt into food.  It makes the diners in their restaurants thirsty and keep ordering more and more drinks.  They insist is a flavour enhancer, but really a thirst enhancer.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

On 24/05/2021 at 17:09, IanD said:

Oil? You use OIL??? And you only cook them twice?!?!?

Everyone knows you should use dripping, and fry them twice after parboiling them ?

In the past I've done two frys, but frozen them in between as recommended by Heston Blummintail.  It was a big success, but: 1 - I don't have the patience. 2 - I don't have a freezer.

Just now, bizzard said:

Too much salt is likely to raise blood pressure and give you tinnitus.

Too little salt will kill you quicker than too much.  I do a lot of exercise and replacing lost salt is very important.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I usually ask to put it on myself.

I usually put it on the chips.

On 23/05/2021 at 21:00, The Bearwood Boster said:

.I can still imagine those chips & my favourite roe.

Now you've brought back a memory! Roe and chips from Mrs. Furness' chip shop in Hollinsend Road, Sheffield. I haven't seen roe on sale in a chip shop for years, but then I don't often go into a chip shop.

On 23/05/2021 at 21:16, Slim said:

Given your chip eating regime look to buying Tesco Finest chips. They're NOT frozen

We use Tesco Finest chips and they ARE frozen. Evidently Tesco market them in more than one way.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Now you've brought back a memory! Roe and chips from Mrs. Furness' chip shop in Hollinsend Road, Sheffield. I haven't seen roe on sale in a chip shop for years, but then I don't often go into a chip shop.

I'm not sure salty chips would go with a deep-fried Mars bar (*) either, but then there's this trend for salted caramel chocolate so you never know...

(*) or even what I saw advertised in a Glasgow chippy as the "diet option for the ladies", deep-fried Maltesers ?

I remember way back in the 1950's dry biscuits called ''Saltines'' very heavy with salt, wouldn't be allowed now, didn't half make you thirsty, a bottle of Tizer every six biscuits, my ears are still ringing. :sick:

44 minutes ago, Athy said:

Some (many) years ago we were in a boat fishing contest in Liverpool bay, it was February and the 'Cod were in' and we were lucky to catch a couple of good sized ones, all round and plump. After the weigh in we decidd to have then cooked on a fire on the beach so gutted them, they were both chock-a-block with roe so those of us that were fish eaters (I don't eat fish)  ploughed into the cooked roe.

As they were 'digging in' an old 'grizzled' fisherman walked by and asked what we were doing eating the infected fish livers.

It seems that the Mersey Estuary carries all sorts of nasties that get into the fish food chain, We had thrown back the One eyed and scabby fish but didn't know that these plump healthy Cod were in fact rotten inside.

The main sewer pipe extended some miles off New Brighton and the mouth of the pipe was an absolute 'honey-hole' for bottom eating fish like Cod, Dabs, Flounders etc.

Found a picture from competition day :

Dell Quay Dory - twin 50HP Evinrude OB's

Sea Bird 6001.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

51 minutes ago, Athy said:

You can still get roe. Liam often orders it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

>> Too little salt will kill you quicker than too much.  I do a lot of exercise and replacing lost salt is very important.

There's a great deal of salt occurring naturally in foods, and it's a very widely used "secret" ingredient in processed foods. It's cheap, and it disguises the lack of flavour (as does sugar).

I don't think a lack of sodium is going to kill you any time soon.

26 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You can still get roe. Liam often orders it.

Maybe where you are. Darn sarf we get chip shop roe in little discs out of a can. When on a course in Birmingham, I was asked did I want tin roe or cod roe. I asked for cod roe and it was huge but really good.

As regards McCain's "chips".

Anyone travelling on the Middle Levels from Stanground to Whittlesey will have seen the holes in the ground where the materials to cast the chips have been dug from.

Near Hanson's Brick Works.

spacer.png

Photo of the fire when the chip foundry went critical.

?

Seriously Folks; "Just say No!"

This message was brought to you by the Campaign For Real Chips

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Bee said:

Everyone knows the best chips come from Belgium. That's one of very many reasons we keep our boat there. Chocolate's pretty good too.

Belgian chips with a dollop of mayo are indeed delicious, but are a very different beast compared to chunky chippie chips with lashings of salt and vinegar non-brewed condiment... ?

On 18/06/2021 at 15:51, Bee said:

Everyone knows the best chips come from Belgium. That's one of very many reasons we keep our boat there. Chocolate's pretty good too.

On 18/06/2021 at 20:28, IanD said:

Belgian chips with a dollop of mayo are indeed delicious, but are a very different beast compared to chunky chippie chips with lashings of salt and vinegar non-brewed condiment... ?

Not tried Belgian chips - tbh wasn't even aware they are a thing so to speak - I have however sampled many of their fine beers and of course their chocolate. I suspect after a few of their beers being consumed even oven chips would taste good ?