Chips

PCSB

Featured Posts

On 18/06/2021 at 15:51, Bee said:

Everyone knows the best chips come from Belgium. That's one of very many reasons we keep our boat there. Chocolate's pretty good too.

A lasting memory I have is of a school trip to Belgium in around 1968 and buying chips in a cone with a huge dollop of mayo on top. It was in the words of Peter Kay' a taste ensation'.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, PCSB said:

Not tried Belgian chips - tbh wasn't even aware they are a thing so to speak.

Very much so: the French joke that Belgians live on chips and mayonnaise.

13 hours ago, Athy said:

Very much so: the French joke that Belgians live on chips and mayonnaise.

You live and learn :) I have a friend out there, when we visit (been a while, apparently there is a pandemic ...) we do consume beer and wine but never really paid much attention to the food as its always been good. Definitely try some next time I'm there :)

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, PCSB said:

You live and learn :) I have a friend out there, when we visit (been a while, apparently there is a pandemic ...) we do consume beer and wine but never really paid much attention to the food as its always been good. Definitely try some next time I'm there :)

Many Belgians find mussels a good accompaniment to chips; I've tried this combination, and they do have a point.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Many Belgians find mussels a good accompaniment to chips; I've tried this combination, and they do have a point.

Love mussels :) - tried to give you a "greeenie" seems mods can't be given one so to speak! 

• Greenie 1

On 21/06/2021 at 20:06, The Happy Nomad said:

A lasting memory I have is of a school trip to Belgium in around 1968 and buying chips in a cone with a huge dollop of mayo on top. It was in the words of Peter Kay' a taste ensation'.

I love mayo on chips but prefer real chips cooked in Beef dripping like our local to me cafe does 

14 hours ago, tree monkey said:

The prohibition on greenies for mods was introduced when it was found Athy had secretly set up an illegal greenie dealer network and was involved in parish lines dealing

Have a Greenie to deal on Athy's Parish Lines network !?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

I'm unsure of what "parish lines" is or are.

I'm sure I remember Sean Connery saying that Parish was in Franche.

11 minutes ago, Manxcat said:

It was a dark time in the forums history 

:)

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm unsure of what "parish lines" is or are.

I'm sure I remember Sean Connery saying that Parish was in Franche.

A new phrase in drug dealing is county lines where peeps are employed to deal drugs out side of their local area, parish seemed more appropriate to a canal forum because of the CC rules

On 21/05/2021 at 21:15, sueb said:

When I had a chip pan fire I called Roger, who shouted back " I'll be there in a minute". Being a fireman's daughter  I put it out myself. I always insisted that we never had an electric socket above the cooker after that.

When we were looking for a new cooker some years ago, I was horrified to see that one model had the burner controls mounted above and behind the rings rather than below and in front of them. 

I remember reading that the reason why chips are called "french fries" in the USA is that American servicemen first came across them in the First World War when serving in Belgium, and didn't know the difference between Belgium and  France, possibly understandable given the wartime conditions and French being spoken in both countries. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

A bit late to the party, but...chips. Two options:

Oven:

1. Preheat the oven and a baking tray oiled with your preferred oil. I use olive for nearly all oven-related tasks.
  2. Slice a potato (or more) into chip-sized chips.
  3. Place chips onto tray, season heavily with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary, and mix thoroughly.
  4. Stick them in the oven for ~30-40 minutes, turning once.
  5. Remove.
  6. Pat dry.
  7. Munch.

Shallow fry

1. Slice thinly
  2. Heat large and heavy frying pan on medium-high on the hob, oiled with an appropriate high-temperature oil. Rapeseed, grapeseed, avocado, etc. Enough oil to half-submerge chips, ideally.
  3. Place in pan, season heavily with salt, stir thorough 
  4. Fry until cooked through and browned, turning every ~5 minutes. Season near end with pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary
  5. Remove.
  6. Pat dry.
  7. Munch.

You can do thicker chips in the pan, but you'll want to parboil them first. Absolutely no excuse to buy frozen oven chips, which are a poor substitute to any real sort of chip. Freshly-made every time - good results are easy after a bit of refinement.

Sweet potato chips are also delicious. Cook for a little less time, and I'd recommend seasoning with salt, pepper, garlic and smoked paprika.

Edited by tehmarks
  • Greenie 2

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Was that a UK cooker in Australia ?

I can't recall the make of cooker but it was in the Comet store in Romford, Essex. The closest I have been to Australia is Korea!.

I remember being amused to find that Hotpoint used to do a mounting kit for the Australian market for using their tumble driers upside-down.  The reason was that Australian customers liked to sit their tumble dryers on top of their automatic washing machines, and mounting them upside-down brought the top-mounted controls to a convenient height.  The kit also made the lettering the right way up. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Hotpoint comment added
  • Greenie 1

I stop at the South portal of Cookley Tunnel on the Staffs & Worcs, walk up into the village and get my chips from the village chip shop, Cookley Fisheries.  Opinions may vary, of course, but to my mind, all chips are dross that are not from Cookley Fisheries.

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was said in a jocular manner, BUT, I seem to remember that at one time it was a BW / CRT written example as being an acceptable movement pattern.

I seem to remember once seeing a canal map with parishes and districts of cities marked.

On 23/06/2021 at 22:51, Tom Morgan said:

I stop at the South portal of Cookley Tunnel on the Staffs & Worcs, walk up into the village and get my chips from the village chip shop, Cookley Fisheries.  Opinions may vary, of course, but to my mind, all chips are dross that are not from Cookley Fisheries.

No these are the best chips (and fish) from here:

Capture.JPG.71fc5575fd1cf20c38bb5d8afc1c527a.JPG

Not cheap. But they are very very hard to beat.

• Greenie 1