Chips

PCSB

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK, not being a cook, whats the difference pleas

Lard is from pigs and generally white and softer than dripping.  Dripping is generally from beef and is harder and creamy colour.   I think there is a form of pork dripping ut I am not sure.

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Lard is from pigs and generally white and softer than dripping.  Dripping is generally from beef and is harder and creamy colour.   I think there is a form of pork dripping ut I am not sure.

Dripping has a distinctive flavour and is less prone to burning. IIRC it's what the BCM use, and many chippies in Yorkshire still do too. Chips cooked in it taste fantastic, but some people don't like the taste...

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I remember Dad bringing home beef fat for Mum to render down at home, the whole house used to stink of it but it made fine chips 

Just now, tree monkey said:

I remember Dad bringing home beef fat for Mum to render down at home, the whole house used to stink of it but it made fine chips 

So homemade dripping!   I must have had an underprivileged childhood we always bought ours.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So homemade dripping!   I must have had an underprivileged childhood we always bought ours.

Nahh Dad worked as a slaughter man, it wasn't unusual to see him cycling home with various bits of dead  animal on his bike rack, I got sent to our neighbours house with a pigs head in a plastic bag once :)

The chips on Yarmouth Market were cooked in beef dripping it came from when they cooked the tripe which they also sold on the market. It was actually cooked on the sight of the old slaughter house, but I don't remember when they slaughtered down there. Market Gates, Gt Yarmouth

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

The chips on Yarmouth Market were cooked in beef dripping it came from when they cooked the tripe which they also sold on the market. It was actually cooked on the sight of the old slaughter house, but I don't remember when they slaughtered down there. Market Gates, Gt Yarmouth

I haven't been back to my home town for 6 or 7 years now but I used to love the market chips. Best left unwrapped and eaten whilst still on the market - piping hot and crispy. They always did just one thing and did it really well, I'm not sure I've ever had chips as good as those anywhere else. My old man used to swear by one stall in particular but I can't remember which one it was. Mind you, he loved tripe which I thought was absolutely disgusting. Maybe it's an acquired taste.

I wonder if they still use dripping for the chips?

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Dripping has a distinctive flavour and is less prone to burning. IIRC it's what the BCM use, and many chippies in Yorkshire still do too. Chips cooked in it taste fantastic, but some people don't like the taste...

Black Country Museum is beef dripping & they are gorgeous.I went to Dudley teacher training college in the 70s & there was a wooden hut chip shop just up the road towards Gornal where the chips were also cooked in beef dripping.I can taste them now... The chippy was run by a middle aged chap & his mum.Sadly,it burnt down & never reopened.I can still imagine those chips & my favourite roe.

On 21/05/2021 at 19:56, PCSB said:

Thanks all for the replies. I don't intend to have chips every day but as I was having chips with my tea it made me think about on the boat as and when the time comes. We will have a decent battery bank of 550 Ah and the engine will have a 175amp alternator for the house batteries so for an occaisional use we should be ok I think.

Only oven chips I've tried are the McCain ones and I really didn't like them much, not tried Sainsbugs or Lidls but will do now so those suggestions are very much appreciated.

Already make oven baked wedges (with a variety of spices etc) so it maybe that is what we'll do and just have chips as and when we eat out or visit a good chippy. At least that way we won't need to store a greasy pan or a chip fryer on board.

I never leave a chip pan or any frying pan unattended, but you're right to advise caution. Must admit the risk has come to mind, particualrly given boats can move when moored. Oven chips, or more likely wedges, are beginning to sound like a better option :)

Given your chip eating regime look to buying Tesco Finest chips. They're NOT frozen but normally have a fair life. I'm sure other chains have similar products 

• Greenie 1

I make my chips in the normal way.  I cut up a potato or two, par-boil for 3-4 minutes.  Then into very hot fat/oil in a chip pan on the hob for about 8-10 minutes or when they look the right colour.  They come out just as good as chippy chips but slightly different.  Less squishy.  To be safe, I always turn the burner off briefly when I add the potatoes to the oil and I keep a good eye on the pan.  No chip pan fires in my life so far.

Air fryer chips are an abomination and don't deserve to be called chips.  They're worse even than oven chips.  Thankfully an air fryer is a non starter when off grid anyway.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not for everyone, my electrical set-up allows the use of the Air fryer, microwave etc. (as per my explanation earlier).

I saw your explanation.  I'd love to know the cost per chip!  If that was the trouble I'd need to go to, I wouldn't bother even if the final product was good.  But as I've indicated earlier, air fried 'chips' are for those poor souls born without taste buds.  Your system uses more power to make a portion of 'chips' than my entire daily power use, and I work from home!