Chips

PCSB

Featured Posts

After trying oven chips (yuk!!) I am wondering how people cook chips on their boat. As we will be on ours very soon was wondering if there is a neat gadget or chip fryer that is worth investing in or is it a case of an old fashioned chip pan and oil (or dripping of course ;) ).

TIA

Paul

ETA: did a search but threw up lots of things about chips and most of them had nowt to do with spuds!

Edited by PCSB
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, PCSB said:

After trying oven chips (yuk!!) I am wondering how people cook chips on their boat. As we will be on ours very soon was wondering if there is a neat gadget or chip fryer that is worth investing in or is it a case of an old fashioned chip pan and oil (or dripping of course ;) ).

TIA

Paul

ETA: did a search but threw up lots of things about chips and most of them had nowt to do with spuds!

Unless you get used to oven chips, or are prepared to go to chip shops then you'll need to reveiew your electrical system for capacity and capability to recharge.

I tried a deep-fat fryer, not practical.

I now use an air-fryer (sort of oven chips but very different taste) they almost taste like chips, and you soon get used to the slight difference.

I have a 1400w air fryer which uses ~ 140Ah from the batteries (via the inverter).

It takes approx 35-40 minutes to do Fish and chips so it uses about 90Ah to cook each batch, so you will need to be able to replace ~110Ah per day (90Ah + losses)

You will need 2x 110Ah batteries dedicated to powering the air-fryer and a system of getting them recharged.

Mine works OK as I have 1200Ah battery bank and 140Amp (2 x 70A alternators) and run the engines for 4-6 hours most days. 

• Greenie 1

I don't eat chips very often. Occasionally if I'm in a pub or restaurant, but even then I'd probably switch them for a jacket potato. I'm just not mad for chips like the majority of Brits and consequently my diet is probably a bit healthier and also I don't need to solve the issue of how to cook them on my boat.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Try some different oven chips. Some are considerably better than others.

Or make your own oven baked wedges with a proper potato. ?

I have 'supermarket' oven chips with a coating. When you give them a squirt of oil as they go in the air-fryer, they come out quite nice.

SWMBO has real potato cut into slices about 1/4" thick (sort of wedges), turn them over after 15 minutes, give them another 15 minutes and they are almost 'Sunday Roast' potatoes.

The only oven chips we will eat are the Lidl ones cooked in beef fat.

They might not be the healthiest, but they are delicious!

Aldi has similar and just as good.

They are better than home made, and better than most chip shops.

• Greenie 1

Thanks all for the replies. I don't intend to have chips every day but as I was having chips with my tea it made me think about on the boat as and when the time comes. We will have a decent battery bank of 550 Ah and the engine will have a 175amp alternator for the house batteries so for an occaisional use we should be ok I think.

Only oven chips I've tried are the McCain ones and I really didn't like them much, not tried Sainsbugs or Lidls but will do now so those suggestions are very much appreciated.

Already make oven baked wedges (with a variety of spices etc) so it maybe that is what we'll do and just have chips as and when we eat out or visit a good chippy. At least that way we won't need to store a greasy pan or a chip fryer on board.

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Just a word of caution, when I was in the fire service chip pan fires we're quite regular often gutting the place, (we only just managed to save someone's life once)  but they became rare after oven chips became popular. 

I never leave a chip pan or any frying pan unattended, but you're right to advise caution. Must admit the risk has come to mind, particualrly given boats can move when moored. Oven chips, or more likely wedges, are beginning to sound like a better option :)

• Greenie 1

Oven chips are good, choose the right ones and learn how to cook them just right. Low fat and healthy too, heart attacks really mess up the boating.

Once every week or two go and find a really good chip shop if you need a fix of right proper chips.

There are various lists of canalside pubs, maybe we need a list of canalside/almost canalside chippies? ?

We sometimes put our chips in a steel mug or other unsuitable container and pretend we are eating out at a posh and trendy pub.

..............Dave

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Just a word of caution, when I was in the fire service chip pan fires we're quite regular often gutting the place, (we only just managed to save someone's life once)  but they became rare after oven chips became popular. 

My neighbour put the chip pan on and then went to Yarmouth races for the afternoon, I lived in a terrace house and had the day off work as I had exams that night so was at home and spotted the smoke, I also put the chip pan out with a wet towel before the Fire Brigade arrived.

A colleague of mine thought he would have a few chips to settle things down after a Sunday lunchtime pint or two. Unfortunately he went to sleep whilst waiting for the chip pan to warm up.  Woke up surrounded by firemen!

N

32 minutes ago, dmr said:

Oven chips are good, choose the right ones and learn how to cook them just right. Low fat and healthy too, heart attacks really mess up the boating.

Once every week or two go and find a really good chip shop if you need a fix of right proper chips.

There are various lists of canalside pubs, maybe we need a list of canalside/almost canalside chippies? ?

We sometimes put our chips in a steel mug or other unsuitable container and pretend we are eating out at a posh and trendy pub.

..............Dave

We will be trying some of the suggested oven chips over the next few weeks. The idea of a list of canalside/almost canalside chippies sounds good, maybe could add on Indian takeaways too ...

8 minutes ago, PCSB said:

We will be trying some of the suggested oven chips over the next few weeks. The idea of a list of canalside/almost canalside chippies sounds good, maybe could add on Indian takeaways too ...

I have had all at Tipton

When I had a chip pan fire I called Roger, who shouted back " I'll be there in a minute". Being a fireman's daughter  I put it out myself. I always insisted that we never had an electric socket above the cooker after that.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I don't eat chips very often. Occasionally if I'm in a pub or restaurant, but even then I'd probably switch them for a jacket potato. I'm just not mad for chips like the majority of Brits and consequently my diet is probably a bit healthier and also I don't need to solve the issue of how to cook them on my boat.

The only chips we've ever had on board came from the chippie, which is where any self-respecting chip lover gets them.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The only chips we've ever had on board came from the chippie, which is where any self-respecting chip lover gets them.

It depends where you are. Bristol isn't good for fish or chips

31 minutes ago, PCSB said:

and even takeaway Pizzas. I like the one right next to the Swan in Stone, but the new trendy one in Hebden Bridge is my favourite, sadly they have just relocated so are not quite visible directly from the canal. They have a "pay what you can afford" policy and www click and collect system. 

Some of the "skin on wedges" type oven chips are good, especially if you supplement them with some extra spices.

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, sueb said:

It depends where you are. Bristol isn't good for fish or chips

Rendezvous Fish Bar in Denmark street is ok. I used to like the one at the bottom of Christmas Steps as well.

• Greenie 1

Definitely wouldn't have a fat fryer on board. It's far too easy to be distracted. 

Make your own oven chips, just toss your chips in a plastic bag with a tablespoon of oil or melted dripping - then spread them out on an oven tray. When on shoreline; chips are made in an air-fryer. 

I phoned my husband at home once, distracting him from making chips. There was a horrible shout "**** the chip pan!" It was a horrible 10 minutes; waiting to hear that everything was under control! Kitchen was in a terrible mess, no real damage was done, but lessons were learnt.

Edited by Jennifer McM

10 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Chippy chips and proper home cooked chips are different things, both good and worthy of appreciation.

Mums chips cooked in lard with home grown spuds were sublime, but for different reasons the local Chinese chippy chips were also to die for

• Greenie 2

14 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Try some different oven chips. Some are considerably better than others.

Or make your own oven baked wedges with a proper potato. ?

I sometimes make Slimming World chips, chops up your spuds into chips, part boil them then place on baking tray in the oven after spraying with fry lite.

13 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Chippy chips and proper home cooked chips are different things, both good and worthy of appreciation.

Mums chips cooked in lard with home grown spuds were sublime, but for different reasons the local Chinese chippy chips were also to die for

My Grandma used to make chips by cooking them in lard. Best chips I've ever tasted.

She used to make potato cakes out of grated potatoes. They were sublime too.

• Greenie 2