Sun Shade support bracket

Slim

Featured Posts

Dreaming of the day the sun appears I've been thinking of better ways to support my sun shade in the cockpit of my semi trad. The shade itself is just like the normal pub garden type umbrella.. The cockpit has lockers both sides with the throttle control binnacle towards the stern of the port locker. The binnacle itself is about 550mm high with a forward facing side. (sorry, no photos). I could drill/tap this face but there's no access from behind. Does anyone have any ideas of a suitable bracket? My ideal is that it be unobtrusive, able to clamp around the shade pole, unlikley to foul clothing or ropes and quick to use without tools. 

I've got one idea forming in my mind along the lines of a couple of lifting eyes but maybe someone out there might have a better solution.

Many thanks 

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I got a Brolly Mate a few years ago, its just too far back to be of any practical use with a brolly...

I've got a brolly mate I don't use either, but too far back? You can have it anywhere from the top of the swan's neck to right next to your hand. Do you often stand a long way from your hand? :D

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I've got a brolly mate I don't use either, but too far back? You can have it anywhere from the top of the swan's neck to right next to your hand. Do you often stand a long way from your hand? :D

if you use the hole as advertised to slide your tiller pin through to stop it rotating, then its too far back, like in the pics above. I’m not steering my boat in that position.

Yes, you can slide it forward, but you then have to really tighten the screws onto the brass and i’m not convinced the weight of the brolly won’t still pull it over and score the tube. I guess a secondary hole could be made, but as i’m not sole owner that’s not happening.

I do try to keep my hand at arms length ;) 

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

if you use the hole as advertised to slide your tiller pin through to stop it rotating, then its too far back, like in the pics above. I’m not steering my boat in that position.

Yes, you can slide it forward, but you then have to really tighten the screws onto the brass and i’m not convinced the weight of the brolly won’t still pull it over and score the tube. I guess a secondary hole could be made, but as i’m not sole owner that’s not happening.

I do try to keep my hand at arms length ;) 

We have drilled 2 neat holes on the underneath of our tiller bar for the thumbscrews to locate into. They don't go right the way through the brass, are unobtrusive and stop the brolly mate from spinning. ?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The second amendment allows you to wear short sleeved shirts (right to bare arms)

That caused real problems with wildlife after a printing error, the right to arm bears ? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

if you use the hole as advertised to slide your tiller pin through to stop it rotating, then its too far back, like in the pics above.

Well I'm blowed! I didn't even notice there was a tiller pin hole, but then I don't have any instructions not to read either. Thanks for the handy tip.

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well I'm blowed! I didn't even notice there was a tiller pin hole, but then I don't have any instructions not to read either. Thanks for the handy tip.

I never read them either, i just referred to pics :D seems it’s used for washing.

D904FDD9-F692-477A-8C72-E96E942266FD.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I never read them either, i just referred to pics :D seems it’s used for washing.

D904FDD9-F692-477A-8C72-E96E942266FD.jpeg

Thanks for sight of those! Now I know I don't have the plastic bit either, but why I have to beware of Lloyd Bridges I'm still not sure...

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for sight of those! Now I know I don't have the plastic bit either, but why I have to beware of Lloyd Bridges I'm still not sure...

Have you seen Airplane? he’s a terror to work with :D 

the plastic strip is nothing special. Its flat, white, and roughly 1” x 8”, you could probably make one from an ice cream tub lid.

Edited by Hudds Lad
add dimensions

I fitted a Desmo leg socket to the engine cover and made a round "coffee" table with a hole in the middle to take the brolly leg. It would be easy enough to whittle a short wooden shaft with a hole in it for brolly to fit the Desmo socket.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I fitted a Desmo leg socket to the engine cover and made a round "coffee" table with a hole in the middle to take the brolly leg. It would be easy enough to whittle a short wooden shaft with a hole in it for brolly to fit the Desmo socket.

Unfortunately when I'm sitting out I like to do so in an adjustable chair that stretches the length of the engine cover. The thought of an umbrella pole sticking up brings tears to my eyes. ?

I'm still reading, thanks everyone for comments and suggestions. 

1 hour ago, alistair1537 said:

I have a very large sun-brella that we use while the weather's grand.

I made a couple of holes in some ply and glued it to the long magnets from Lidl 

This makes it easy to position the shade as suits.

There's a thought. Those extra strong magnets, forget what they're called. Would they affect my compass? I need to plot an accurate course on the South Oxford. ?

Seriously, it's given me an idea, thanks

21 hours ago, Slim said:

There's a thought. Those extra strong magnets, forget what they're called. Would they affect my compass? I need to plot an accurate course on the South Oxford. ?

Seriously, it's given me an idea, thanks

I'll see if I can do a few pics.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, alistair1537 said:

Here you go. I hope

Barge Sunbrella.jpeg

Sunbrella magnet mount.jpeg

Sunbrella aft mount.jpeg

Sunbrella Aft.jpeg

Sunbrella Fwd.jpeg

Thanks  very much. 

Got a hospital appointment that I've got to go home for then back to have the boat slipped and blacked on the 29th. After all that I'll try and sort something out. Whatever I end up doing I'll post some form of update. Still trying to work out how Lloyd Bridges appeared on the scene, I remember him as a frogman on TV