Ventnor Marina to Banbury... in the wind/rain

robtheplod

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Enjoy the challenge. 

Yo have my sympathy. That stretch from Marston Doles to Fenny Compton is the most miserable imaginable. (my opinion). I've only ever done it once when it's not been wet, windy and cold. Regardless of the time of year. In the current, non weather climate, I don't even know what kind of welcome you can expect in the Wharf.

Best of luck

Frank ?️?️   

Report back

Edited by Slim
  • Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, Slim said:

Yo have my sympathy. That stretch from Marston Doles to Fenny Compton is the most miserable imaginable. (my opinion).

That stretch is probably my favourite section of the canals (admittedly there are some which I have never visited). It's remote (I think no roads cross it in six miles, perhaps one farm track does), scenic, unspoiled. So don't despair, Rod, despite what the gloomies say, you may even enjoy it.

33 minutes ago, Athy said:

That stretch is probably my favourite section of the canals (admittedly there are some which I have never visited). It's remote (I think no roads cross it in six miles, perhaps one farm track does), scenic, unspoiled. So don't despair, Rod, despite what the gloomies say, you may even enjoy it.

Be fair, you did quote me out of context. You forgot to mention the wind, rain and cold ?

Just now, robtheplod said:

thanks for all the encouragement.... got my 'strength' together with waterproofs and mars bars - it will be an adventure!

I recommend hot Oxtail soup.

11 minutes ago, Slim said:

Be fair, you did quote me out of context. You forgot to mention the wind, rain and cold ?

I recommend hot Oxtail soup.

Especially if it is cut as near to the head as possible

21 minutes ago, Slim said:

Yes, because those are freely available on all parts of the system.

Ah yes, The Pig Place, where the pork tastes a bit piggy!

Might be heading in that direction (but possibly not that far) myself soon, if the weather eventually improves enough for me to want to go to the boat at Ventnor. Tuesday maybe?

Haven't been up the summit for 2 years so I suppose I should make the effort soon before HS2 spoils it (even more than I assume it already has).

One of my gas bottles is empty, hope I'll be able to get a refill given all the reports about LPG shortage. I wonder if Ventnor have got any.

Now moored up near Claydon top lock. We've been lucky so far with rain but getting ready for the oncoming winds/rain tonight!  The Oxford canal has been a lovely one so far, meandering around fields of sheep and an odd land locked boat!  A few quick queries...

As there isn't too much Armco on this canal, can we use the Armco to moor on the offside to the towpath if we don't get off the boat?  I thought it would be ok as CRT would have put it there?

Also, saw a lady walking her three dogs and each time one 'went' she picked it up and threw it in the canal - not owning a dog I've no idea if this is the done thing but it didn't seem very nice....  :( 

Providing we survive the storm tonight We'll press on the Bunbury tomorrow....

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Now moored up near Claydon top lock. We've been lucky so far with rain but getting ready for the oncoming winds/rain tonight!  The Oxford canal has been a lovely one so far, meandering around fields of sheep and an odd land locked boat!  A few quick queries...

As there isn't too much Armco on this canal, can we use the Armco to moor on the offside to the towpath if we don't get off the boat?  I thought it would be ok as CRT would have put it there?

Also, saw a lady walking her three dogs and each time one 'went' she picked it up and threw it in the canal - not owning a dog I've no idea if this is the done thing but it didn't seem very nice....  :( 

Providing we survive the storm tonight We'll press on the Bunbury tomorrow....

Yes, the landlocked boat is odd, isn't it? It suddenly appeared some eight or ten years ago I'd guess.

No, you should not moor on the offside. There are plenty of stretches of armco along the canal; isn't there some at the very pleasant spot where you're moored? (I'm assuming you're parked just before the last bridge before the flight, which as you'll find tomorrow is a very pretty flight.) Don't you carry mooring pins in case you can't locate any armco?

It may be that you intend to go straight to Banbury tomorrow. If, as many people do, you want to stop in Cropredy, there are public moorings above the lock; immediately below the lock (space for about three boats); one space, and one only, just past the sanny station immediately before our boat; after that, you have to go a few hundred yards past the long-term moorings before reaching the next public ones, by which time it's  a fair walk back to the village (shop is beside the "town bridge" 100 yards past the lock).

In my experience, dogs enjoy swimming. There's someone round here who regularly pushes her two labrador-type dogs into the river, they appear to have a whale of a time swimming along, and always clamber out with their tails wagging.

23 hours ago, Athy said:

In my experience, dogs enjoy swimming. There's someone round here who regularly pushes her two labrador-type dogs into the river, they appear to have a whale of a time swimming along, and always clamber out with their tails wagging.

unfortunately i was on about her flicking the dog mess into the canal... :(

now moored just outside of Banbury as advised by two boaters i met that theres a bit of vandalism going on at the moment in the town?

Soggy!!

soggy.PNG

Edited by robtheplod

46 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

unfortunately i was on about her flicking the dog mess into the canal... :(

I misunderstood. When you wrote "Every time the dog went, she picked it up and threw it in the canal" it sounded as if it was the dog which she threw in!

On 21/05/2021 at 17:45, Tonka said:

Especially if it is cut as near to the head as possible

I have a friend who did his engineering apprenticeship at Heinz in the 60s. Back then they were imported from Australia.