Oops I did it again

p6rob

Featured Posts

About 9 years ago, I had a pretty bad mountaineering accident. Snapped both bones in my left lower leg and spent 7 weeks in various hospitals waiting for a surgeon willing to operate. It was during those 7 weeks I decided that, if I managed to keep the leg, I'd buy a narrowboat to live on.

Fast forward to last weekend and while cycling, I tripped fell off the bike and managed to snap both tibia and fibula in the right leg. A very annoying freak accident.

Unfortunately because the skin is damaged they haven't as yet been able to insert the rod which will hold it all together. Instead I have a mecano type frame bolted to my leg holding, it together. The final op was planned for today but unfortunately the skin has deteriorated, so will need a skin graft. Hopefully the two procedures will happen either Monday or Tuesday next week.

In the meantime, I've been in touch with C&RT, they're happy to let the boat stay where it is for another 4 weeks (I was due to move the day of the accident). Has anyone managed to rehabilitate on a boat? I won't be able to drive for a month or two. The boat is near Hockley Heath at the moment, so I'm thinking of either booking into Swallow Cruisers or Lyons Boatyard until I can manage doing locks again.

fixater.jpeg

• Sad 1
  • Horror 1

Sorry to hear that. Hope you make a good recovery. 

We're not far from Hockley Heath so anything we can help with let me know.

Both Swallow and Lyons have seemed friendly and helpful when visiting shop. Can't comment what they're like to moor at though. 

PM Sent

Edited by Tom and Bex
  • Love 1

Thanks for the week wishes and messages. 

The latest news is the op is scheduled for Wednesday, so I'm still in hospital, being very well looked after but starting to feel incredibly fed up to be honest. 

Rob

17 minutes ago, p6rob said:

Thanks for the week wishes and messages. 

The latest news is the op is scheduled for Wednesday, so I'm still in hospital, being very well looked after but starting to feel incredibly fed up to be honest. 

Rob

Perhaps stop mountaineering and riding bikes?

My wife had a nasty accident and needed grafts on her lower leg after spilling a tray of near boiling oil on it, the only problem she had was getting in and out of the boat. At least if Swallow can fit you in they may be happy to change gas, etc., and they have a car park for any visitors. If you get stuck i'm fairly local and will be happy to help if i can.