Wevver

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I never realised the Fens were one of the hottest places on the planet!

We've been getting 10°C to 15°C in Greater Manchester - a bit cool for May, but quite bearable.

It predates the UK's EU membership by a good few years: in the scientific and engineering community we went metric in the mid-sixties (Celsius).

Good riddance to poundals, foot-pounds, BTu and all that malarky too.

Bet you still want a pint in your pot and not 330ml

Edited by ditchcrawler

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bet you still want a pint in your pot and not 330ml

As I if in a pub drinking beer only drink draught I wouldn't be daft enough to ask for 330ml I would ask for either a half (it would be litre when we get sensible enough to use metric for beer) or a Litre.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Rivelin said:

1st of May I started preparing my boat for painting. It's rained ever since. It's now more rusty than it was before I started.

D'oh

Should have done it in April. Yes, it was cool,  but for most of the time the dew points were ridiculously(almost record for this country) low and the paint went on well.

End of next week should be improving slowly.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Should have done it in April. Yes, it was cool,  but for most of the time the dew points were ridiculously(almost record for this country) low and the paint went on well.

You're right there Matty - I held back because I thought there might be condensation to deal with. Double d'oh!

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

As I if in a pub drinking beer only drink draught I wouldn't be daft enough to ask for 330ml I would ask for either a half (it would be litre when we get sensible enough to use metric for beer) or a Litre.

I am happy to inform you that after the eu for years tried to impose their foreign measurements on my country that in 2008 they were crushed and eventualy caved in and ( allowed ) peelocks, Ireland and the UK to opt out of the metric system and retain our Pint of beer amongst other concesions allowing proper measurements to run alongside foreign ones. The British pint is here to stay and will never be challenged again by any other Johny come lately organisation.

• Love 1
  • Happy 1
  • Angry 1

9 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, 20 = 68 and 0 = 32 are my other points of reference.

I've never understood why, when metric temperature measurements became more widespread in the U.K., somehow "centigrade", which perfectly describes the system, was replaced by "celsius" which doesn't. The French have always called it celsius, so perhaps it's something which we imported from the E.U.

16c = 61f too which I fnd useful ...

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I am happy to inform you that after the eu for years tried to impose their foreign measurements on my country 

Which foreign country was that?  Britain official adopted the metric system in early 1965.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Which foreign country was that?  Britain official adopted the metric system in early 1965.

The eu tried as you know to enforce my country ( The UK ) to use foreign measurements ( metric ) They were crushed and we retained the Pint .......end of ...........un arguable. Along with mph and miles distance etc etc etc. Take a look at you car speedo and road signs next time you drive, they are in miles not metric. You can waffle all you want but facts are the eu lost as they seem to keep doing over here lol.

• Greenie 3

In fact it is illegal to sell beer by the litre or indeed half litre in a UK pub as it must be sold in one third of pint measurement or multiples of half a pint :D draught that is. foreign metric is allowed in bottles but never draught.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The eu tried as you know to enforce my country ( The UK ) to use foreign measurements ( metric ) 

We officially embraced the metric system in 1965 long before we joined the EU.   I know you would like to blame everything you dislike on the EU.

However if you had been correct it proves, as remainers have said all along, we never lost sovereignty, you can't have it both ways.

37 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Is it not possible to keep the EU bickering confined to the EU bickering threads, maybe?

Blame MrSmelly he brought the EU into a perfectly quiet discussion of the metric system.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Is it not possible to keep the EU bickering confined to the EU bickering threads, maybe?

Certainly.

That's why there isn't any in this discussion, which is about the use of British and metric measurements in Great Britain.

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Doubt it, that's when I'm out on the slip blacking and painting. 

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I am happy to inform you that after the eu for years tried to impose their foreign measurements on my country that in 2008 they were crushed and eventualy caved in and ( allowed ) peelocks, Ireland and the UK to opt out of the metric system and retain our Pint of beer amongst other concesions allowing proper measurements to run alongside foreign ones. The British pint is here to stay and will never be challenged again by any other Johny come lately organisation.

I knew I was right to keep all my Whitworth spanners. We will once again lead the world in baffling drill sizes, rounded off nuts and Austin Allegros.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Athy said:

From memory, April was unusually dry, so it's just Nature evening things out. Here in the Fens we've had some rain, mainly in the afternoons, but nothing excessive, though temperatures are probably still below average: mid-fifties most days.

We are heading for the Fens so will accept nothing less than full sun and soaring temperatures.

Edited by Midnight

8 minutes ago, Bee said:

I knew I was right to keep all my Whitworth spanners. We will once again lead the world in baffling drill sizes, rounded off nuts and Austin Allegros.

My half inch AF gets most use in my toolbox ;)

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My half inch AF gets most use in my toolbox ;)

I think you should put a 13mm spanner on your christmas list, you don't have to hammer it on your nuts.

16 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We are heading for the Fens so will accept nothing less than full sun and soaring temperatures.

Depends on when you get here, Temperatures are forecast to rise gradually - mid-60s by next weekend. Full sun may take a little longer.

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Pleasing to see you understand British temperatures ;)

You mean the ones invented by Herr Fahrenheit, the Polish Lithuanian Dutchman?

Edited to say that I see I'm late to the party.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

Depends on when you get here, Temperatures are forecast to rise gradually - mid-60s by next weekend. Full sun may take a little longer.

Please can you be more precise for the date of full sun we might get there by the weekend after. Do you hire deckchairs and sell ice-cream?

• Haha 1