Wevver

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Never known a may as wet as this. Coldest April for fifty years and wettest may since God only knows when. The field is so waterlogged here that we have cancelled the weekend which has never happened before. Still peeing it down with no sign of letting up. Thank God i dont own a boat B)

From memory, April was unusually dry, so it's just Nature evening things out. Here in the Fens we've had some rain, mainly in the afternoons, but nothing excessive, though temperatures are probably still below average: mid-fifties most days.

It's Glastonbury weekend this weekend, of course the weather will be bad even though there is no audience. It's all about making sure the crew and equipment gets wet. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

From memory, April was unusually dry, so it's just Nature evening things out. Here in the Fens we've had some rain, mainly in the afternoons, but nothing excessive, though temperatures are probably still below average: mid-fifties most days.

Pleasing to see you understand British temperatures ;)

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Pleasing to see you understand British temperatures ;)

Ah yes, as Al Murray The Pub Landlord might say: "Fahrenheit, good British name".

I understand centigrade but think in Fahrenheit. If you say it's 65 degrees I know what that feels like; if you said it was 19 degrees, I's have to do a quick mental conversion. I find it useful to remember that 28 = 82.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah yes, as Al Murray The Pub Landlord might say: "Fahrenheit, good British name".

I understand centigrade but think in Fahrenheit. If you say it's 65 degrees I know what that feels like; if you said it was 19 degrees, I's have to do a quick mental conversion. I find it useful to remember that 28 = 82.

I have to consciously convert C to fahrenheit and use the 20°C that we used for photographic chemicals being 68°F and work from there.

Celsius, "good British name"!!!!   They were both foreigners one Polish the other Swedish. 

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I have to consciously convert C to fahrenheit and use the 20°C that we used for photographic chemicals being 68°F and work from there.

Celsius, "good British name"!!!!   They were both foreigners one Polish the other Swedish. 

Yes, 20 = 68 and 0 = 32 are my other points of reference.

I've never understood why, when metric temperature measurements became more widespread in the U.K., somehow "centigrade", which perfectly describes the system, was replaced by "celsius" which doesn't. The French have always called it celsius, so perhaps it's something which we imported from the E.U.

41 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've never understood why, when metric temperature measurements became more widespread in the U.K., somehow "centigrade", which perfectly describes the system, was replaced by "celsius" which doesn't. The French have always called it celsius, so perhaps it's something which we imported from the E.U.

There was a point where teaching for science exams was told to call it Celcius so that may have had an effect.  Personally being lazy I just call it degrees C.

We put feed and weed on both lawns a couple of weeks back. With this intermittent sun then heavy rain we are getting I could swear you can actually see the grass growing.

20 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

We put feed and weed on both lawns

Is your loo blocked?

But seriously yes, after holding back during April the garden has sprinted ahead this month.

Edited by Athy

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

Is your loo blocked?

But seriously yes, after holding back during April the garden has printed ahead this month.

A printed garden is a good idea where can I get one.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Athy said:

temperatures are probably still below average: mid-fifties most days.

I never realised the Fens were one of the hottest places on the planet!

We've been getting 10°C to 15°C in Greater Manchester - a bit cool for May, but quite bearable.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It predates the UK's EU membership by a good few years: in the scientific and engineering community we went metric in the mid-sixties (Celsius).

Good riddance to poundals, foot-pounds, BTu and all that malarky too.

It has taken long enough, but our Owain on North-west Tonight rarely gives °F equivalents. Most people under the age of 50 have no idea what they are anyway. My decidedly non-technical 36-year-old daughter, for one.

Edited by Machpoint005

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Never known a may as wet as this. Coldest April for fifty years and wettest may since God only knows when. The field is so waterlogged here that we have cancelled the weekend which has never happened before. Still peeing it down with no sign of letting up. Thank God i dont own a boat B)

Huh!!? Some of us on L&L are glad to see a bit of the wet stuff. Seems like CRT were announcing relaxation of boating lockdown along with water conservation lock timings ?.

9 minutes ago, Opener said:

Huh!!? Some of us on L&L are glad to see a bit of the wet stuff. Seems like CRT were announcing relaxation of boating lockdown along with water conservation lock timings ?.

In Hertfordshire we come under Affinity Water and they're running a campaign to get it's customers to use less water. Apparently we use too much compared with  others. Obviously it couldn't be that their pipes leak or that the current explosion of developments has brought more people into to their catchment area.  Their latest wheeze is a display in the Harliquin, Intu, don't know latest name shopping mall of a bath 125 ?? times normal to get us to bathe less. Still, it's my money not theirs. 

22 minutes ago, Opener said:

Things should be getting better on the L&L now. We went down the 5 rise last Sunday and the pound above was an inch higher than normal there. And there's been a good bit of rain since.

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

It's Glastonbury weekend this weekend, of course the weather will be bad even though there is no audience. It's all about making sure the crew and equipment gets wet. ?

The last two Glastonburys, in 2017 and 2019, were scorchers. Although of course the real ones happen at the end of June.

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I never realised the Fens were one of the hottest places on the planet!

They aren't. I was referring to the mid-fifties fahrenheit.

If anyone tells you that it's minus forty, you don't need to ask if that's celsius or fahrenheit. They're both the same, mad cold! I watch a lot of youtube wild camping, shelters etc in Canada and Alaska and a temperature of minus four degrees doesn't sound too bad until you convert it into celsius and realise how far below freezing it is (-20).