Wiring ignition barrel

Featured Posts

When wiring a new ignition barrel, can I just transfer the spades across to the equivalent number on the new terminal? When there are multiple spades for the same number, does it matter which terminal I choose? (I presume this may be due to different current levels/ amp rating?)

My main fear is burning out a starter motor.

DB055BBA-1FA9-436B-A52F-E177D26F2EA0.jpeg

FAC04782-6E88-4888-9389-DEC37EAA7FBC.jpeg

28 minutes ago, DuckOutOfWater said:

When wiring a new ignition barrel, can I just transfer the spades across to the equivalent number on the new terminal?

No, not necessarily. The moulded numbers on the back of the switch are from DIN72552, which helps give a clue as to what they are. Personally, I'd double check by using a multimeter and see which switch positions give a connection between the 30 terminals (12V in) and each of the other terminals.

The one you particularly don't want to do is to connect the glow plugs to an always on, or key switched always on terminal.

Terminal DIN72552

30            From battery+ direct

17            Starter motor

19            Glow plugs.

15/54      Key switched 12V out.

The connection on the new you have marked 1, I've no idea. It is probably another 15/54 key switched 12V out, but you'll need to check.

If your wires aren't marked, or colour coded, then you'll need to do some tracing and measurements with a multimeter. Bigger spade connectors generally suit bigger currents. Spade sizes won't necessarily match from the old to the new switch. You may need to change some connectors to suit the new terminal sizes. I've no idea what the old connections are. You'll have to work that out, but once you have then you should be able to work out the new.

Jen

• Greenie 1

Jen got there first with the new switch, your old switch should be :-

1  from battery +; single Brown ? cable with fully insulated cover, large spade ?

2 Key switched 12v out; the twin small spades with three (?) white cables should go to the warning lights and gauges

3 Glow plugs; multiple red wires with yellow crimp

4 Starter motor; the other one (its hidden behind the others) fully insulated cover, cable might be white with a red tracer

though there are variations, with only four terminals this should be right

springy

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, DuckOutOfWater said:

Incredibly useful, thank you all.

I’ve tested the new switch with a multimeter and can see how it conforms to what Jen has listed above.

Springy - the cable to 4 is white with red tracer. Is that standard convention? 

Typically the one running to the starter solenoid.

26 minutes ago, DuckOutOfWater said:

Incredibly useful, thank you all.

I’ve tested the new switch with a multimeter and can see how it conforms to what Jen has listed above.

Springy - the cable to 4 is white with red tracer. Is that standard convention? 

British standard colour code. B+ unfused, brown, (yours appears to be red) ignition unfused, white. I think, but may be wrong, glow plugs brown/red, starter white/red.

Yes its an old British automotive standard, not to be relied on with boats, but Brown should be a live feed, White should be ignition switch controlled, green is fused feeds, green with tracers - indicators, brakes etc; blue main lighting (red tracer dip beam, white tracer main beam, yellow tracer aux lights)  etc (IIRC)

beaten to it by Sir Nibble

just found this

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/cms/files/colour_code_for_vehicle_wiring_-_new_order_2.pdf

Edited by springy
add link