Double mooring etiquette?

PubTrawler

Featured Posts

Hi All,

In the 2 years we've had a boat we've mostly stuck to canals where mooring is abundant having only ventured onto the Trent for a day or 2 sometime last year where we moored on a pontoon. We're planning on going onto the Severn soon from Worcester up the stretch onto the Droitwich Barge Canal sometime next week.

I'm hoping to stop at the Camp House Inn for lunch on my way upstream and I think there's a mooring pontoon there but from pictures it looks quite small. My question is... what is the etiquette for mooring abreast should that be occupied already? Obviously if they are there I can just ask, but what if they aren't there? Do I have to move on, or can I drop some fenders and tie on? If they need to leave and I'm moored on the outside and off the boat, what's the etiquette there?

CRT encourages double-mooring:
Welcome to moor alongside? | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

On the official handbook it says:
"You could even encourage another boat to tie up alongside you providing it wouldn’t interfere with boats passing by."

Thanks!

If Rafting up (Breasting up) then tie your boat up to the actual mooring rings / cleats / bollards etc, do not reply on tying up to the other boat, their lines to the bollards may not be strong enough to take the strain of two boats if someone goes speeding past, also, use short lines to keep you attached to the other boat but not under load.

The advantage is also that if the other boat needs to move off, he can just loosen one of your lines, 'slide out' & then has lines to attach to the pontoon bollards. If you only have had short lines connecting you to him he may not be able to secure you properly to the pontoon.

It's generally more accepted on the Severn, but if you can see the owner then it's polite to ask them first. 

One time I was moored by the pub at Haw Bridge, with my elderly parents with me.  We were about to head into the pub at about 7pm when a boat approached from downstream and called out for us to move off the pontoon onto another pontoon which was very high and difficult to use.  I asked why and they said it was because they were elderly and couldn't get off at the other pontoon.  I pointed at my mum who was clearly older and less mobile than them.  Then I suggested they breast up.  They were quite astounded by this offer, but accepted, so problem averted.  But there's an important point here:  when on the river, moorings are few and far between, and you don't want to be finding yourself searching for a mooring at 7pm.  It would have been dark in another hour.

Now back to the Camp House:  If the pub mooring is full and you don't want breast up, call the lock keeper at Bevere Lock, which is only 100m or so away.  He'll most likely let you stay on the lower lock pontoon but may ask you to point your bow away from the lock so that other boats can see that you're not waiting.  Then just walk down to the pub, which is a bloomin lovely pub by the way.

Agree with Alan. But I have moored for the Camp House Inn on the far end of the lock mooring above Bevere Lock. It's only a short walk to the pub. But on that occasion we were travelling downstream and arrived after the lock had closed for the day.

38 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Breasting up can get a little out of hand sometimes. Three boats wide, plus a fuel boat on the outside filling them up on the Weaver at Acton Bridge in 2015.

Jen

DSCN0600.JPG.acbd636d0357dc161b1f75dfed2d20ad.JPG

I think we were something like 7 or 8 deep in Stanley Dock when we went on the campaign cruise.

21 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Breasting up can get a little out of hand sometimes. Three boats wide, plus a fuel boat on the outside filling them up on the Weaver at Acton Bridge in 2015.

Jen

Indeed it can. (No lines from the outside boats on this day)

216720_178306615555321_5616002_n.jpg.dbd86be4d90087029689127404e8373e.jpg

217549_178306635555319_285414_n.jpg.2acd982b9b8f6180bf2dd3f3a8d6b52a.jpg

We did have to put lines ashore on the coast though and it was sods law that we were always the outside boat :rolleyes:

Four out at Southwold

1012025_591133837605928_249588195_n.jpg.531b28aced3ee02cdfca96dcfc53914e.jpg

Only three out this time in Wells

37465_112160558836594_1831055_n.jpg.4612b6a509c58dde885f83b76e54b0f3.jpg

37465_112160562169927_2237139_n.jpg.f86b2cb641a2ad597fda6af5d0ad9eba.jpg

• Greenie 1

On 20/05/2021 at 08:54, Alan de Enfield said:

If Rafting up (Breasting up) then tie your boat up to the actual mooring rings / cleats / bollards etc, do not reply on tying up to the other boat, their lines to the bollards may not be strong enough to take the strain of two boats if someone goes speeding past, also, use short lines to keep you attached to the other boat but not under load.

If you get a towpath mooring in London the chances are when you come back someone will be moored outside you and its possible they will be using your mushroom vent as a mooring 

Whilst on this topic, with offshore yachts, when breasted up, to get across another boat the etiquette is to walk forward of the mast, never across the cockpit.

This is somewhat difficult with narrowboats. I would take it the correct protocol is to walk across the counter but do not look into the cabin?

A while ago someone on CWDF produced these:-

Capture welcome.JPG

Edited by Ray T

6 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Where was this?

Keith

On the Thames at an IWA national Rally Beal Park, I think these were in the pond. This is a later one with us lesser mortals moored on the river

DSCF4249.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

On the Thames at an IWA national Rally Beal Park, I think these were in the pond. This is a later one with us lesser mortals moored on the river

DSCF4249.JPG

And only one set of lines ashore!

Very poor etiquette.