Marine 16

RichLech

Featured Posts

Last week my fuel filter became blocked with black slime.

I changed the filter and added Marine 16 'Complete' to the day tank - this being recommended by the staff at Midland Chandlers.

It appears to have worked and I immediately noticed that the exhaust appeared cleaner. I have since checked the main tank which is well below the waterline and the fuel in there is clean with no trace of water or black slime in the bottom - I used 'Kolor Kut' Water Finding Paste. There is about 200 litres of fuel in the main tank and I have now added Marine 16 to that too.

Presumably if there is any emulsified water in the main fuel tank it will now separate right at the bottom.

I agree that their labelling is a tad confusing. It would also be helpful if their containers had some form of scale on them. However it seems to work (I use Complete) Last week I sucked a good 5 litres out of the bottom of my tank with my Pela. Allowed to settle it was perfectly clear. I do this at least twice a year without fail. After having to change four filters in 24 hours in rough seas in the middle of the Bay of Biscay I'm paranoid where bug is concerned. 

6 minutes ago, Slim said:

I agree that their labelling is a tad confusing. It would also be helpful if their containers had some form of scale on them.

I buy the 500 ml bottles which treats 500 litres. Some bottles have a scale along the side, some don't.

IMG_20210520_093730071.jpg

To measure  that expensive treatment more accurately a small plastic  measuring fuel is very handy and very cheap.

However I more  often use a small plastic travel  shampoo bottle which holds 100mm  and have it  ready with the appropriate dose  to be tipped into the filler prior to the fresh fuel.

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-travel-bottle-100ml/p/0347755?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkZiFBhD9ARIsAGxFX8DKWFmEwGoLDYFothASdwzjCXEgCoLa5aZ5dt3-TwwnisMscGoQ8fMaAv1dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

image.png.b34a74101024448fc31c2b6fb3b6aaec.png

5 hours ago, pearley said:

I buy the 500 ml bottles which treats 500 litres. Some bottles have a scale along the side, some don't.

IMG_20210520_093730071.jpg

I'd forgotten how expensive it is. Still compared with a full tank of fuel it's not so bad and compared with a blocked fuel system it's positively a bargain.? 

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

To measure  that expensive treatment more accurately a small plastic  measuring fuel is very handy and very cheap.

However I more  often use a small plastic travel  shampoo bottle which holds 100mm  and have it  ready with the appropriate dose  to be tipped into the filler prior to the fresh fuel.

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-travel-bottle-100ml/p/0347755?gclid=Cj0KCQjwkZiFBhD9ARIsAGxFX8DKWFmEwGoLDYFothASdwzjCXEgCoLa5aZ5dt3-TwwnisMscGoQ8fMaAv1dEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I use a Night Nurse cup and I don't mean Nurse Gladys. 

I was recently told by a reliable source (a re-seller of Marine 16, who buys it in bulk and markets it under his own brand label) that yes the recommended quantity is correct if you suspect a mild case of the bug that needs to be cured, but that as a purely preventative measure then one-half of that amount is correct, ie 1ml per 2 litres of fuel, so a 500ml bottle is sufficient for 1000 litres of fuel. He assured me that Marine-16 agree with this, but do not print it on their own bottles because then they would only sell half as much.

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

I was recently told by a reliable source (a re-seller of Marine 16, who buys it in bulk and markets it under his own brand label) that yes the recommended quantity is correct if you suspect a mild case of the bug that needs to be cured, but that as a purely preventative measure then one-half of that amount is correct, ie 1ml per 2 litres of fuel, so a 500ml bottle is sufficient for 1000 litres of fuel. He assured me that Marine-16 agree with this, but do not print it on their own bottles because then they would only sell half as much.

I suspect less additive than specified is perfectly adequate .

I have bee using this....

image.png.cc65322c669f0b0583459f6875bbfede.png

......since early 2018 . Its lower cost than Marine 16. About £15 for 500ml to treat 1000 litres. It works in a different way to Marine 16 so best  not to mix the two.

7 hours ago, MartynG said:

I've used refillable ink cartridges on my inkjet printer for a few years. The best way to fill is using a syringe with a blunt needle. A spare syringe is an ideal way to draw up an accurate dose of diesel treatment and get it where it belongs.

13 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

For routine use with no or minimal signs of bug the Complete. For a shock treatment for known bug the Treatement.

Use of such things should not remove the need for regular "bottom of tank draining".

Had a very bad case of the diesel bug when iced in a few years ago. Managed to source some treatment and gave it a double dose shock treatment. Completely cleared the problem up within 48 hours (recommended time is 72 hours) can highly recommend it.