PVC coated copper

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is now acceptable (wall thickness) in the revised RCD requirements.

Would whoever signs it off be working to the RCD and if the boat is pre 1998 or whatever the exact date does the RCD even come into the equation and if its now acceptable why did you highlight the 0.8 in red

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Would whoever signs it off be working to the RCD and if the boat is pre 1998 or whatever the exact date does the RCD even come into the equation and if its now acceptable why did you highlight the 0.8 in red

The BSS requirments track the RCD requirements otherwise it would be possible for the BSS to fail (for example) the gas system on a brand new RCD compliant boat, so the subject of whether the boat is subject to the RCD is irellevant, the BSS now accepts 0.6mm wall thickness gas pipe (up to 12mm).

In an earlier post I said I thought the specification had changed, and I would look it up,, that post was showing the comparison of the old and new requirments, and confirming that indeed the specifications had changed.

I highlighted the 0.8 in red, showing the old 2008 requirements, and then below it highlighted the new 2014 0.6mm requirement (as shown below)

2008 Requirements :

6.2 Piping

6.2.1 Only solid drawn copper or drawn stainless steel piping, which are galvanically compatible, shall be used for rigid supply lines.

Wall thickness for piping shall be greater than 0,8 mm for piping up to 12 mm outside diameter and a minimum of 1,5 mm for an outside diameter greater than 12 mm.

6.2.2 There shall be no joints or fittings in piping passing through engine compartments.

6.2.3 Metallic LPG supply piping routed through engine compartments shall be protected by conduit or trunking, or supported by non-abrasive attachments which are no more than 300 mm apart.

6.2.4 Fittings for connections and joints in piping shall be metallic and of any of the following types: ⎯ hard soldered connections; ⎯ cutting ring fittings in accordance with ISO 8434-1:2007, Table 4 (see also 6.4.2, 6.4.4, 6.4.5); ⎯ copper rings on copper piping; stainless steel rings on stainless steel piping; ⎯ connections in accordance with EN 560. Jointing compound for flared fittings or flared rings shall not be used.

6.2.5 Piping shall be installed above bilge water as high as practicable.

6.2.6 Piping shall be made up with as few fittings as practicable. Joints and fittings shall be readily accessible.

2014 Requirements :

Pipe lines for LPG systems are, as far as practicable, to be of a single continuous length of solid drawn copper piping or drawn stainless steel piping from the cylinder housing or locker to the appliance or the shut-off valve. Thereafter, the piping is to be a further continuous length of solid drawn copper piping or drawn stainless steel piping to the appliance.

The minimum wall thickness for piping shall be 0.6mm for O.D. (outside diameter) less than or equal to 12mm and 0.9mm for piping greater than 12mm.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS requirments track the RCD requirements otherwise it would be possible for the BSS to fail (for example) the gas system on a brand new RCD compliant boat, so the subject of whether the boat is subject to the RCD is irellevant, the BSS now accepts 0.6mm wall thickness gas pipe (up to 12mm).

In an earlier post I said I thought the specification had changed, and I would look it up,, that post was showing the comparison of the old and new requirments, and confirming that indeed the specifications had changed.

I highlighted the 0.8 in red, showing the old 2008 requirements, and then below it highlighted the new 2014 0.6mm requirement (as shown below)

Lovely thanks, thanks for clarifying that for me.

If you read this twice blame the internet.

• Happy 1

• 2 months later...