LPG Fitting Help

Featured Posts

I have just purchased a couple of POL pressure gauges from ebay;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184394968015

That look like this;-

POL Propane Gas Gauge Meter Tank Built-in Leak Detector Universal for QCC1 L&6

So this just screws into the cylinder but the existing hose end wont screw into the outlet. (It goes about a quarter of a turn and locks)

I had assumed at this point that the outlet was to some other standard, until I tried putting the second gauge into the outlet of the first and it fits!

So I have two POL fittings that seem to be different. How can this be?

The only obvious difference is that my existing hose ends have the solid (No O ring) end, but I thought they were interchangeable?

The existing fittings are about 25 years old. Have things changed?

I'm happy to buy extra bits, but unsure what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated!!!! ?

TIA

John

2 minutes ago, Floating Male said:

I have just purchased a couple of POL pressure gauges from ebay;-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184394968015

That look like this;-

POL Propane Gas Gauge Meter Tank Built-in Leak Detector Universal for QCC1 L&6

So this just screws into the cylinder but the existing hose end wont screw into the outlet. (It goes about a quarter of a turn and locks)

I had assumed at this point that the outlet was to some other standard, until I tried putting the second gauge into the outlet of the first and it fits!

So I have two POL fittings that seem to be different. How can this be?

The only obvious difference is that my existing hose ends have the solid (No O ring) end, but I thought they were interchangeable?

The existing fittings are about 25 years old. Have things changed?

I'm happy to buy extra bits, but unsure what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated!!!! ?

TIA

John

I think these are incompatible fittings.  Big question is why did you buy them? What for?

7 minutes ago, Floating Male said:

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

I suggest you contact the supplier :

LONGYANSHIDIFEIWANGLUOJISHUYOUXIANGONGSI
Hongli He
shuiyunhuadu16haolou908shi
xinluoquxipijiedaolongtengzhonglu318hao
364000 longyanshi
China

and ask them.

The Chinese do not have a good record of supplying gas fittings that work (particularly when their prices are a fraction of quality UK made parts).

I had a similar problem, with a POL refilling hose, it leaked, did not seal & was dangerous, complained and they just said here is your money back, just throw it in the bin.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I think these are incompatible fittings.  Big question is why did you buy them? What for?

They were bought to show how much gas is left in the bottle, as I have been caught out once forgetting to get replacements!!

Seemed like a good idea and various people agreed! ?

Just now, Floating Male said:

They were bought to show how much gas is left in the bottle, as I have been caught out once forgetting to get replacements!!

It would be a good idea, but buy from recognised manufacturers.

You can always tell how much is left in the cylinder with a little 'costs pennies' magnet gauge on the outside.

*NEW* PLS Magnetic Gas Level Indicator | No More Guessing ! | Gas Cylinder Guage 5060070215815 | eBay

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suggest you contact the supplier :

LONGYANSHIDIFEIWANGLUOJISHUYOUXIANGONGSI
Hongli He
shuiyunhuadu16haolou908shi
xinluoquxipijiedaolongtengzhonglu318hao
364000 longyanshi
China

and ask them.

The Chinese do not have a good record of supplying gas fittings that work (particularly when their prices are a fraction of quality UK made parts).

I had a similar problem, with a POL refilling hose, it leaked, did not seal & was dangerous, complained and they just said here is your money back, just throw it in the bin.

I have asked the supplier, but no response as yet.

This item seems to be pretty standard and is sold by various LPG fas companies.

well there are several much more direct and simple ways of checking how much gas is left.   Rocking the cylinder is the simplest.  You soon learn how an empty cylinder feels.  Or even a spring balance to check the weight.  Or look for the level of the condensation on the outside of the bottle in cold weather.

Any BSS examiner worth his salt would be unhappy to proceed with his checks if he came across such gauges.

There are actually three POL "standards" although they are all based on a 14TPI left hand thread and are equivalent, however, AIUI, the POL standard is based on a metal-to-metal conical seat. So anything with a rubber seal (which those units have both sides) is not strictly a POL but may be POL "compatible" ish .

The external Acme thread on the outlet suggests a "multi purpose" design

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane,_butane,_and_LPG_container_valve_connections

springy

Edited by springy
add info

Well I am a bit surprised by various comments, which really don't help.

1/ I cant rock the cylinders because they have clamps. (As required by BSS)

2/ Likewise a spring balance is no use, as the clamps in my installation are rock solid and cylinders wont move at all.

(BSS man likes this!)

3/ The magnetic ones are no use because you cant see them inside the gas locker.

Having considered all of the above the gauges seemed a good solution.

Other boaters use them and consider them great!

Thanks for the link Springy.

I had not come across that one. (Too much stuff on internet)

It could be that this gives the answer.

There is an EN and a US POL which differ in size by 0.5mm but are otherwise identical.

I have done a bit of measuring and find that (low and behold) my existing POL connectors are about 0.5mm bigger than the gauge ones.

Looks like the gauge may be US standard!!! ? They can go back!

Thanks

John

Assuming your gas locker contains 2 bottles then you're better off fitting a regulator with a manual changeover switch. First bottle expires, you switch over to the second bottle, take the first bottle out and buy a replacement, and so on. That way there no reason to run out. They're about 50 quid.

Sorry if this doesn't really help.  It's not a direct answer to your question so may or may not help, but like some of the other posts here it's just a suggestion.

• Greenie 3

9 hours ago, Floating Male said:

Well I am a bit surprised by various comments, which really don't help.

1/ I cant rock the cylinders because they have clamps. (As required by BSS)

2/ Likewise a spring balance is no use, as the clamps in my installation are rock solid and cylinders wont move at all.

(BSS man likes this!)

3/ The magnetic ones are no use because you cant see them inside the gas locker.

BSS Guide requires cylinders to be secured against excessive movement (e.g. to prevent strain on the hoses), it does not require them to be clamped.

How would you propose to remove "clamped" cylinders in an emergency.   When I had a narrowboat the cylinders were restrained by straps that allowed sufficient movement to remove the cylinders .............. checking took no more than a minute for 2 bottles.  How often are you going to need to check the contents of the cylinders once you have got into a regular pattern of use?

Of course you are welcome to make it as complicated and difficult as you like, but making it impractical is self-defeating.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Assuming your gas locker contains 2 bottles then you're better off fitting a regulator with a manual changeover switch. First bottle expires, you switch over to the second bottle, take the first bottle out and buy a replacement, and so on. That way there no reason to run out. They're about 50 quid.

Sorry if this doesn't really help.  It's not a direct answer to your question so may or may not help, but like some of the other posts here it's just a suggestion.

Or if you already have an auto change over only ever turn one bottle on, when its empty turn the other one on and replace empty one. It's worked for me for 30 years ?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Or if you already have an auto change over only ever turn one bottle on, when its empty turn the other one on and replace empty one. It's worked for me for 30 years ?

Hi

That is what is in the boat. It has also worked for me for a long time (26 years on this my third boat) but I forgot to replace empty one once (probably old age) so just thought these would be an insurance against memory loss! ?

9 hours ago, Floating Male said:

There is an EN and a US POL which differ in size by 0.5mm but are otherwise identical.

I have done a bit of measuring and find that (low and behold) my existing POL connectors are about 0.5mm bigger than the gauge ones.

Looks like the gauge may be US standard!!! ? They can go back!

This is the downside of buying from international (Chinese) sellers on eBay - for safety, I always source propane fittings from reliable local dealers.

If the gas bottles all but fill the gas tank you do not even have to strap or otherwise restrain them. The BSS is only concerned about potential damage tom the hoses and regulator etc cause by the bottles or other equipment in the tank moving.  Apart from a loose loop of chain as a theft deterrent my gas bottles were never restrained apart from being a good fit in the tank.  Easy to lift, inspect for condensation or weight with a spring balance.

Edited by Tony Brooks

22 hours ago, Floating Male said:

They won't. Good for testing for leaks, but won't show difference in level until gas is nearly done. Bottle pressure doesn't depend on liquid volume.

6 hours ago, Floating Male said:

Hi

That is what is in the boat. It has also worked for me for a long time (26 years on this my third boat) but I forgot to replace empty one once (probably old age) so just thought these would be an insurance against memory loss! ?

Surely if you can't remember to change a cylinder when you know its empty, you wouldn't remember to check the gauge to see if the cylinder us empty?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Loddon said:

Doesn't that defeat the whole point of an auto-changeover valve Julian? You've basically been using your more expensive auto-changeover valves as cheaper manual valves for the past 30 years. ?

Edited by blackrose

53 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Doesn't that defeat the whole point of an auto-changeover valve Julian? You've basically been using your more expensive auto-changeover valves as cheaper manual valves for the past 30 years. ?

Yes, like I'm going to leave it on auto changeover and run out completely, 

I didnt buy the auto-chageover valves, they came with the boats.

Edited by Loddon
  • Haha 1