Vandalism

Maffi

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

My first canal houday was in 1976, when I was one of a group of 14  that hired the entire original Black Prince fleet of two boats. One had toilets that simply pumped everything into the cut from under the boat, the other had two  chemical loos. That one came with a nice shiny spade that the owner said was for emergency use!  If no sanitary station was available, we should dig a hole at the side of the towpath and bury the WCs' contents in it.  The drought of 1976 severely restricted movements, and as we happened to be confined to a sanitary station-less pound when both loos filled up, one of our crew, who was in  the T.A., duly took the opportunity to practice trench-digging at the edge of a converient canal-side field.

By the time we hired them again  the following year, they had been converted to pump-out operation.

It was probably helpful that your movements were restricted.

• Haha 1

After years of wondering if the Elsan disposal point at Boughton Rd, Brownsover on the North Oxford was ever to open again, after the toilet building that it was attached to was closed, the conservative party leaflet has just announced their councillor's plan to open it again -

as a community cafe.  

24 minutes ago, canalboat said:

After years of wondering if the Elsan disposal point at Boughton Rd, Brownsover on the North Oxford was ever to open again, 

It took a while to fix the problem, but "years" is a huge exaggeration, it reopened in January 2020

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/16199-boughton-elsan-brownsover

Edited by andy3196

On 19/05/2021 at 20:17, Jennifer McM said:

There's a space under the bridge there where kids, and some not-so-kids, looked to be doing drugs, amongst them were some youngsters who looked (to me anyway) vulnerable. It didn't look good as some of the group were aggressive, so I phoned the police. Police said they knew what was going on.... I couldn't do any more :(

Are you suggesting that those under the bridge are the vandals?

On 20/05/2021 at 19:09, BlueStringPudding said:

My brother who is in the area told me this too - he reckons the Elsan point has only been working a handful of times in the last three months. So people have been emptying their cassettes into the public toilet there apparently, and blocking that as well.

And the disabled toilet.

On 20/05/2021 at 23:35, canalboat said:

After years of wondering if the Elsan disposal point at Boughton Rd, Brownsover on the North Oxford was ever to open again, after the toilet building that it was attached to was closed, the conservative party leaflet has just announced their councillor's plan to open it again -

as a community cafe.  

'Oooh errr...crap !'

Edited by The Bearwood Boster
  • Haha 1

On 20/05/2021 at 23:35, canalboat said:

as a community cafe.  

I moored there in April and it was in good working order then. 

The Castle Marinas expansion in recent years gives a few more free (I assume) Elsan options to Castle moorers given they now own the marinas at Hinkley, Brinklow, Crick and Cropredy. Haven't tried it yet but I might well pop into Cropredy Marina this/next week if I bother going further South than Fenny. 

On 22/05/2021 at 08:28, Nightwatch said:

The disabled loo have been out of action for years. I don’t think the bus station loo is an option to empty cassettes. No reason to think that, just a feeling.

And that was due to vandalism too!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2021 at 20:17, Jennifer McM said:

There's a space under the bridge there where kids, and some not-so-kids, looked to be doing drugs, amongst them were some youngsters who looked (to me anyway) vulnerable. It didn't look good as some of the group were aggressive, so I phoned the police. Police said they knew what was going on.... I couldn't do any more :(

I thought you were going to suggest emptying the cassette there....to keep the kids away...?

• Haha 2