Vandalism

Maffi

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Just so you all know the Elsan disposal point in Banbury is locked due to vandalism. I spoke to the guys that shut it and the had no idea when it was to open again. 

So, if going North, pay at Sov Wharf or free at Cropredy. If going South, where is the next one?

5 hours ago, Lord Maffi of Oxford said:

Just so you all know the Elsan disposal point in Banbury is locked due to vandalism. I spoke to the guys that shut it and the had no idea when it was to open again. 

There's a space under the bridge there where kids, and some not-so-kids, looked to be doing drugs, amongst them were some youngsters who looked (to me anyway) vulnerable. It didn't look good as some of the group were aggressive, so I phoned the police. Police said they knew what was going on.... I couldn't do any more :(

My first canal houday was in 1976, when I was one of a group of 14  that hired the entire original Black Prince fleet of two boats. One had toilets that simply pumped everything into the cut from under the boat, the other had two  chemical loos. That one came with a nice shiny spade that the owner said was for emergency use!  If no sanitary station was available, we should dig a hole at the side of the towpath and bury the WCs' contents in it.  The drought of 1976 severely restricted movements, and as we happened to be confined to a sanitary station-less pound when both loos filled up, one of our crew, who was in  the T.A., duly took the opportunity to practice trench-digging at the edge of a converient canal-side field.

By the time we hired them again  the following year, they had been converted to pump-out operation.

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typos
  • Greenie 1

I have been in and around Banbury for over a year. The Elsan point in Banbury has been experiencing blockages since February this year.

CRT, I believe, use Metro Rod to clear such like blockages. Yes, they have responded to call outs. Yes, they have moved the blockage, but no they have never achieved clearance of the blockage. In my opinion they have only managed to move the blockage a few feet. Within a day it is  blocked and nye on overflowing again.

I’m not convinced there’s any damage to the pipes or channels as suggested by the notice of closure. Just incompetence of clearing a blockage that has been going on for months. Metro Rod are ‘playing the game’ and CRT local management have joined in.

What vandalism has occurred? How has this vandalism occurred? Every time I have ‘visited’ the services the facility has been locked and secure.

This Elsan point had been an important part of my life for far too long in the past.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I have been in and around Banbury for over a year. The Elsan point in Banbury has been experiencing blockages since February this year.

CRT, I believe, use Metro Rod to clear such like blockages. Yes, they have responded to call outs. Yes, they have moved the blockage, but no they have never achieved clearance of the blockage. In my opinion they have only managed to move the blockage a few feet. Within a day it is  blocked and nye on overflowing again.

I’m not convinced there’s any damage to the pipes or channels as suggested by the notice of closure. Just incompetence of clearing a blockage that has been going on for months. Metro Rod are ‘playing the game’ and CRT local management have joined in.

What vandalism has occurred? How has this vandalism occurred? Every time I have ‘visited’ the services the facility has been locked and secure.

This Elsan point had been an important part of my life for far too long in the past.

I discovered long ago that the cap off a cassette is a close fit down a 4" drain. The sani station at Cropredy suffered a blockage by one of these. Difficult to find, they pivot in the pipe causing an intermittent blockage. Even more difficult to remove.

Maybe this is the "Banbury Bung"? 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

9 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

My brother who is in the area told me this too - he reckons the Elsan point has only been working a handful of times in the last three months. So people have been emptying their cassettes into the public toilet there apparently, and blocking that as well.

• Greenie 1