Caldon Canal river section

Grassman

Featured Posts

We are due to reach the short River Churnet section in a few days time. With 2 days of persistent rain forecast beforehand do I have anything to worry about? I've regularly been on quite lively rivers, both tidal and non tidal so in theory a short canal section shouldn't be a problem, or should it? 

I can't remember ever having seen CRT notices about it very often. 

Also, does the river flow towards Froghall or the other way? The reason I ask is because I always prefer where possible to go against the flow.

48 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I can't remember ever having seen CRT notices about it very often. 

If ever? CRT don't normally post the on/off vagaries of river levels as far as I'm aware.

There are the usual red/yellow/green boards at both ends - it flows towards Froghall so you will be going downstream first. I did it once after heavy rain some years ago, it was lively but my biggest issues were taking the many bends at the speed required going downstream and, on the canal section beyond, the pull from a side weir back to the river. It was probably less than 6 inches up. 

There are flood gates at Consall, I don't know of they are ever closed but if they are you may find yourself not able to get back off the river. 

Edited to add - many years ago I couldn't proceed because the river had flooded into the canal near Cheddleton - obviously if it's that bad don't even think of trying the river! 

Edited by magpie patrick

Google "crt flood warnings"some info is given,but I havn't seen anything about the R.Churnet.

It does say that these flood warnings are incomplete just yet,but will be added to at some point.

35 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

If ever? CRT don't normally post the on/off vagaries of river levels as far as I'm aware.

There are the usual red/yellow/green boards at both ends - it flows towards Froghall so you will be going downstream first. I did it once after heavy rain some years ago, it was lively but my biggest issues were taking the many bends at the speed required going downstream and, on the canal section beyond, the pull from a side weir back to the river. It was probably less than 6 inches up. 

There are flood gates at Consall, I don't know of they are ever closed but if they are you may find yourself not able to get back off the river. 

Edited to add - many years ago I couldn't proceed because the river had flooded into the canal near Cheddleton - obviously if it's that bad don't even think of trying the river! 

CRT give many stoppage notices for high flows on both the Kennet and the Bristol Avon, in fact they tell me that only today the river between Woolhampton and Froudes Bridge become navigable again. ?

............Dave

• Greenie 1

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully the rain for the next few days might not be as bad as the forecast. I must be wrong about CRT issuing notifications on their stoppages list then, but I thought I'd seen ones referring to the river section at Alrewas in the past. 

3 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

You can keep an eye on the river levels above that section here: https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2127?direction=d

However, the flood warning line in orange is for land, property and road flooding, not a navigation warning.

According to CRT, the River Soar never goes into flood at weekends, BanknHolidays and for 2 weeks at Christmas.

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Thanks for your replies. Hopefully the rain for the next few days might not be as bad as the forecast. I must be wrong about CRT issuing notifications on their stoppages list then, but I thought I'd seen ones referring to the river section at Alrewas in the past. 

CRT are somewhat unreliable about reporting stoppages so I would not rely on them to tell you if the river was ok for navigation. As said by Alway the EA river level site is good for getting an idea of what is going on in any area, if the river is significantly above its normal level then there might be problems.

...........Dave

The navigable river is relatively narrow, with sharp bends. As @magpie patrick says, the problems will come especially going downstream of taking these bends at a higher speed than you are happy with. The flow will be pushing you to the outside and you risk getting the boat caught in tree branches and then things can go bad very quickly, including potential for capsize. If you went through with the water level in the red on the level boards at the entry lock from the canal, then your insurance may not pay out in such a situation. You can successfully do a run in high water conditions, but the risk of stuff going horribly wrong is higher. Your time to react could be very short. A plastic bag round your prop as you approach a sharp bend at speed for example.

Jen

When the river is high, there might be a headroom problem on the railway bridge at Consall and  at the Cheddleton end lock tail bridge. The flooded station pictured above is Consall not Cheddleton. Amazing that the formation is flooded there considering the canal alongside is several feet lower than the railway.

We have been delayed at the lock into the river for a while years ago, river was on red markers as i recall.

2 minutes ago, billh said:

When the river is high, there might be a headroom problem on the railway bridge at Consall and  at the Cheddleton end lock tail bridge. . 

We have been delayed at the lock into the river for a while years ago, river was on red markers as i recall.

4 minutes ago, billh said:

When the river is high, there might be a headroom problem on the railway bridge at Consall and  at the Cheddleton end lock tail bridge. The flooded station pictured above is Consall not Cheddleton. Amazing that the formation is flooded there considering the canal alongside is several feet lower than the railway.

4 minutes ago, billh said:

Ignore all of the above, brain storm going on ! Signing off before I type anymore rubbish. Thank you and Goodnight.

3 hours ago, Grassman said:

You are correct, CaRT do put up the river section at Alrewas , it comes under the T&M .

4 hours ago, Jonkx said:

I think that photo is Kingsley & Froghall Station, lower down the valley below the canal terminus at Froghall Wharf.

Correct, the platform & shelter at Consall Station are cantilevered over the cabsl

241 Churnet Valley Railway 25th Sept 2005.jpg

The level on the river section can change very quickly. Sometimes half an hour is enough to see the level change. Went down towards Chedleton once with the level a gnats off red. Fastest and most scary ever.

21 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

This one one option for restoration towards Uttoxeter seeing as the railway is on the canal bed ;) 

I do like that photo.  Actually, it's an urban myth that the railway was built on top of the canal. On the whole, it isn't.  It's a lovely walk down to Alton, by the way. 

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2019/05/11/caldon-and-uttoxeter-canals/

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I do like that photo.  Actually, it's an urban myth that the railway was built on top of the canal. On the whole, it isn't.  It's a lovely walk down to Alton, by the way. 

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2019/05/11/caldon-and-uttoxeter-canals/

Thanks for that, very good report. I have been driving to an few of the spots on my way up and back from Blackpool during lockdowns but havn't had the time for a good walk.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

There are a couple of forum members who live in Alton. Canal, river, old railway, forest, hills, rocks. What's not to like. 

WRG at work on the Uttoxeter Canal at Alton. Always interesting listening to the screams from Alton Towers next door whilst you are working ?

141 WRG Bonnfire Bash Uttoxeter Canal Alton 7th November 2015_2.JPG

• Greenie 1

On 19/05/2021 at 15:18, magpie patrick said:

There are the usual red/yellow/green boards at both ends - it flows towards Froghall so you will be going downstream first. ...

PA075155s.jpg.8b42fe8c0c678c2d6f2ed0a472ac97a0.jpg

PA075153s.jpg.0e4750ddf2fd6c8d201321728e159fc2.jpg

PA075129s.jpg.1a4834dbedfd742fb9a7a3a7409ce520.jpg

PA075141s.jpg.2f53c4d6b46339059af31b197e95daf7.jpg

From Oct 2019, in the red. Not easy to tell by how much it was in the red. Walked downstream on the towingpath and the channel is still very narrow, lots of trees to come to grief on, and the possibility of an upriver boat to be swept into.