Brass rim lock.

Callum4878

Featured Posts

Hi,

have 3 upright right hand brass rim locks on my boat, about 4” x 2” and completely devoid of any markings at all. One has worn out and I’d like a matching replacement, but can’t find one anywhere, any ideas anyone? Boat was built by Mel Davis and fitted out by Lyons. Nearest I can find is a much smaller one from a chandlers for £201!, mad price for a plain no nonsense lock, even if it is brass.

Keith

Yes tried Mel, he remembered my boat, but he didn’t do the fit out, it was Lyons, and they’re no longer in business I understand. Can’t use horizontals, as they fit on to a narrow section of oak.

one is rear doors and two are either side of my bathroom, what I may have to do is swap one onto the rear doors and source two for the bathroom, that way I have a spare. 

Tricky, the Baldwin company in the US is the closest I have come across.   https://www.theglampad.com/2020/03/a-traditional-new-old-home-in-california.html/baldwin-rim-lock-unlacquered-brass-architect-home

How worn out is the lock?   could a good metal worker sort it out?

Hi Tracy, that is pretty close, key hole and knob in wrong place unfortunately, plus I’d probably need to apply for a mortgage to buy it.

Funnily enough I had the idea of a refurbished lock myself this morning, the old one had to be drilled out, so has a bit of damage internally, but spoke to a local locksmith this morning, and I’m dropping in to him tomorrow ?.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Keith