Marina mooring, is it a car park for boats?

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, I think I know the answer to my question but hope not.

I have a boat on an end of garden mooring, and have just bought a second boat which I have arranged a mooring in a marina. is it the case that I have hired the space for (A) boat, and therefore can switch the two boats around between the mooring or are the boats fixed. The two boats are the same make and colour, so look very similar and I could name them both the same. I would just like to work on the one moored in the marina but do the work at the end of garden mooring. Hope that makes sense THANKS

The marina will want the insurance and BSS for the boat that is moored there, so I would say that the mooring is specific to a specific boat.  If you want to share the mooring between the two boats I would say you need to discuss it with the marina.

• Greenie 1

The index number is the problem, but its a lovely idea, give it a go.  I think there have been a few cases of "cloned" boats but I don't know the outcome. The EoG mooring should be the easier one as I suspect CRT rarely check, and I think the only requirement is that you own the boat, the marina mooring depends very much upon the marina policy, I would ask them, as long as they get their money they are likely happy.

................Dave

15 minutes ago, bodysnatcher said:

I have a boat on an end of garden mooring, and have just bought a second boat which I have arranged a mooring in a marina. is it the case that I have hired the space for (A) boat, and therefore can switch the two boats around between the mooring or are the boats fixed. The two boats are the same make and colour, so look very similar and I could name them both the same. I would just like to work on the one moored in the marina but do the work at the end of garden mooring. Hope that makes sense THANKS

Some marinas have restrictions on what work can take place which may be annissue with both your boats. I presume you have looked at the marina Terms & Conditions?

Howard

Our marina berth was specific to the boat.

We had to get permission if we wanted to swap boats on the mooring.

You would need to read the terms and conditions of your mooring agreement as they are all subtly different.

10 hours ago, bodysnatcher said:

Why, what is the point?

On 17/05/2021 at 22:52, howardang said:

Some marinas have restrictions on what work can take place which may be annissue with both your boats. I presume you have looked at the marina Terms & Conditions?

Howard

I think the OP said he/she/gender nuetral person wants to do the work at the bottom of their garden on the canalside mooring. I doubt he/she/etc has enough room there for two boats

you would think that most marinas would accept 2 similar boats with the same owner being swapped (never both boats on the mooring) provided they had proof that both boats were licensed / insured / valid bssc etc.

But thinking about it I wonder if it may present them problems when CRT do license checks and find what appears to be an extra boat.

I also wonder what the implications are of the wrong boat being on the EOG mooring

2 hours ago, Jess-- said:

you would think that most marinas would accept 2 similar boats with the same owner being swapped (never both boats on the mooring) provided they had proof that both boats were licensed / insured / valid bssc etc.

But thinking about it I wonder if it may present them problems when CRT do license checks and find what appears to be an extra boat.

I also wonder what the implications are of the wrong boat being on the EOG mooring

Surely it is the number of boats in the marina that would matter if at all.   Aren't they interested in the number of moorings rather than boats.    With regard to EOG moorings are they registered to a specific boat?  Does that mean if you change your boat you need to re register the boat for your EOG mooring.

On 21/05/2021 at 11:50, Jerra said:

Surely it is the number of boats in the marina that would matter if at all.   Aren't they interested in the number of moorings rather than boats.    With regard to EOG moorings are they registered to a specific boat?  Does that mean if you change your boat you need to re register the boat for your EOG mooring.

The T's&C's of my EoG mooring state that it is specific to my boat, and that I must inform CRT of any changes to the boat moored there.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

The T's&C's of my EoG mooring state that it is specific to my boat, and that I must inform CRT of any changes to the boat moored there.

If it was a different boat for (say) three weeks, then reverted to the right one, would anyone really get worked up about it?

37 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

If it was a different boat for (say) three weeks, then reverted to the right one, would anyone really get worked up about it?

If CRT knew there were two boats one with a mooring at X and one moored EOG and that they would from time to time be swapped would they be bothered about it, one wonders.

I wonder why an EOG mooring has to be for a particular registered boat when marina mooring don't have to be.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I wonder why an EOG mooring has to be for a particular registered boat when marina mooring don't have to be.

CRT set the terms for the EOG mooring, the marina operator sets the terms for the marina mooring. Why would they be the same?

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not sure, the CRT checker checks my boats registration number every 2 weeks,  but I don't know if the information he gathers is visible to the mooring team.

40 minutes ago, David Mack said:

CRT set the terms for the EOG mooring, the marina operator sets the terms for the marina mooring. Why would they be the same?

I didn't say they were the same or even suggest they were so I find your post a little difficult to understand. 

However CRT takes an interest in moorings in most marinas owing to the access agreement.  I suspect the only thing standing in the way of the OP's wishes is ensuring both the marina and CRT know the situation and realise the changes will take place.

47 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I didn't say they were the same or even suggest they were so I find your post a little difficult to understand. 

Your post implied that somehow the terms should be the same. I was merely pointing out that two different organisations are free to set different terms.

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

Your post implied that somehow the terms should be the same. I was merely pointing out that two different organisations are free to set different terms.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  CRT expect a boat registered to a mooring they have given permission for i.e. an EOG mooring.  They have given permission for X moorings in a marina.   So why don't they insist the same boat is on the same mooring in the marina, after all it would make it easier for licence checking etc.   Also logically if it is important a particular boat is on a particular mooring away from a marina it should be equally important inside a marina.

The marina would be within their rights to have  a problem with it but almost certainly won't so long as you approve it with them - both boats owned by the same person attracting the same mooring fee and never there at the same time. 

The difficulty at the EOG is that only one of the boats has the permit - and when the other one is on the mooring it will show up with the boat loggers as not having a permit. Talk to your area licencing team, they will probably be okay, if they are they will put a note on the file.