Best Boatwarming Gift

David Mack

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Recently discussed in the recent racist discussion on Coolie (Collie) hats.

Rain hat | Rain hat, Border collie, Dog quotes

Just had a knock on the roof off the boat, looked out the front door and there stands a collie looking at me, opened the door and he was straight on the deck and almost in the boat, thought it must be someone I know, then a strange (to me) lad comes into view and says is this your dog, its been following us along the towpath. As luck would have it he was wearing a collar with a phone number, so Collie and owner reunited.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

4ft of scaffold pole with flattened end. (ideal for shifting stuck CaRT swingbridges etc)

I think they are called "putlog" the flat end goes between two bricks in the wall in a vertical joint 

image.png.9e7a2a9855126010cd966ff6b2eb065f.png

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not the hydraulic kit

Funny you should say that, I have not carried the Porto-Power kit for years, but will be bringing it up. Earnest has a recent new plummer block top rudder bearing and shaft. Even though I have kept the shaft to inner bearing cup interface oiled, and the allen key grub screws free, the bloody thing is stuck. I always like to keep this free, so easy to drop the rudder in emergency. The hydraulic wedgy will soon shift it! As for the scaffold pole, we used it twice last year on the swing bridges on the Leeds and Liverpool. Others recommend a watering can as essential kit. If a bridge is stuck, due to expansion in the heat (remember those days?!), all you have to do is cool the tie rods, which contract and lift the bridge deck ends.