Nene/Nen Controversy settled

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

Nen

No argument.

Have lived within a couple of miles of it most of my life.

Always has been, always will be Nen.

The Northampton lot are right and the Peterborough lot are wrong. I can't see how that can be called a controversy. ?

• Greenie 1

It's Northamptonshire with names like Cogenhoe or Bozeat (can you say them correctly) of course Nene is said Nen.

There are many more odd sounding names in Northamptonshire ?

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe RCR don't like pulling people out

Misinformation from RCR.

Managed to view it even though I am not on FB good to see Richard F has posted Neil's trip up there.

It almost makes me want to go up there again. ;)

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

On that river, this from FB 

image.png.0d2fe5223098d45775e90693e5212087.png

Well that is no use. They have put the sign above tree height and horizontal, which is going to be near invisible to approaching boaters, then mirror imaged and hard to read as they pass underneath. Who put the floating River Nene signs on the water? Is that the EA?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Loddon said:

Misinformation from RCR.

Managed to view it even though I am not on FB good to see Richard F has posted Neil's trip up there.

No it dosen't. It was shallowed at the Council Depot turn in 2001ish. The furtest we ever got up there was in Beatty in 1998.

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_98/index.html

Earnest did go quite a way further up the "Upper Nene" in 2001

http://www.tuesdaynightclub.co.uk/Tour_01/fen33.html

Looking forward to going under Exhibition Bridge again and seeing all the places on the Fens where we now can't go.

OMG a TNC posting on Canalworld...and I even peeked at Facebook!!!!

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, Loddon said:

Misinformation from RCR.

Here is some more https://www.facebook.com/rivercanalrescue/posts/4254413767912107

8 hours ago, Big Bob W said:

Nen

No argument.

Have lived within a couple of miles of it most of my life.

Always has been, always will be Nen.

But which part of it do you live near?

I think there definitely is an argument. I've only been here 5 years but locals told me it was called Nen upstream of a certain place and Nene downstream (or it may have been the other way around - and I can't remember where it's meant to change).

The point is that you can't tell people living in another area who've been calling it Nene all their lives that they've got it wrong. That would be like me telling Northerners that the thing they've been calling a sconne their whole lives is called a scowne just because that's how I've been saying it my whole life. No argument?

In fact is that the same language is spoken differently by different people and the River Nene runs for many miles through many different communities some of whom pronounce the name differently to you.

10 minutes ago, blackrose said:

But which part of it do you live near?

I think there definitely is an argument. I've only been here 5 years but locals told me it was called Nen upstream of a certain place and Nene downstream (or it may have been the other way around - and I can't remember where it's meant to change).

The point is that you can't tell people living in another area who've been calling it Nene all their lives that they've got it wrong. That would be like me telling Northerners that the thing they've been calling a sconne their whole lives is called a scowne just because that's how I've been saying it my whole life. No argument?

In fact is that the same language is spoken differently by different people and the River Nene runs for many miles through many different communities some of whom pronounce the name differently to you.

They were discussing it on the radio today and apparently the dividing line is 9 Arches Bridge at Thrapston which, by some amazing coincidence, is round about halfway between Northampton and Peterborough.;)

We then got talking about the various pronunciations of other places around the country. Woolfardisworthy (Woolsery) was the first that came to mind then of course Slaithwaite (Slewit), Godmanchester (Gumster), Cholmondeley (Chumley), Lerwick (Larrick) and why is Reading, Redding rather than Reeding?? There are boundless opportunities for disputes:D 

By strange coincidence, our last three boats were built by people who grew up near the Nene, NB Beatty was fitted by Phil Gardner of Waterways Services, Nether Heyford. Ray of R&D, who built NB Earnest was born in Nothampton, both were staunchly Nen. Steve Nott, who built Barge Maurice A was born and bred in Peterborough was very much in the Neen camp. The only controversial place name round here is Ruislip. One of my old mate's great grandma (first generation Metrolander) always called it Rooslip.

I was looking at a C18th map of the River Witham recently, which shows the River Sle, going through Sleford.  So how was that pronounced? My point is that spellings change over time, and pronunciation, not necessarily in sync.... Indeed many spellings of place names were only really codified when the country was surveyed by the OS in the early C19th.