Featured Posts

Well, the boat is beginning to look a bit tatty in places and Mrs G&D has decided it might need painting. She means it does.

I have neither the patience nor skill required to do such a big job and I think a full repaint is a big job.

So, who would you recommend? I see there is a huge list on canal junction. Any that don't appear there?

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

and Mrs G&D has decided it might need painting. She means it does.

You've cracked the code!

Can you narrow it down a bit? Where are you based? How far are you prepared to cruise to reach the painter? Out of cheap, good, fast, which ones are more of a priority? You won't get all of three! One colour, with coach lines, or several colours?

Jen

I’d also counsel patience. The yards that I work alongside are booked up at least a year ahead, though you may be lucky and drop on a cancellation. Give more information, as advised earlier, to get useful help.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

You've cracked the code!

Can you narrow it down a bit? Where are you based? How far are you prepared to cruise to reach the painter? Out of cheap, good, fast, which ones are more of a priority? You won't get all of three! One colour, with coach lines, or several colours?

Jen

We're based on the Leicester Line, would cruise about a week. Quality of the work is the highest priority, budget is a consideration but of the three probably the lowest priority. I'm well aware that good painters tend to be be booked up months, possibly over a year ahead. I think we're probably looking for multiple colours (haven't given this enough thought yet).

37 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’d also counsel patience. The yards that I work alongside are booked up at least a year ahead, though you may be lucky and drop on a cancellation. Give more information, as advised earlier, to get useful help.

Thank you

19 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

We're based on the Leicester Line, would cruise about a week.

We had ours done in Nottingham here :

An excellent job, and you can even stay on board with leccy, water and toilets provided.If you are having proper repaint and having all the hatches, windows and mushrooms removed then a B&B may be better, or, if you have one a house / friend / relative.

They have been doing boats since the end of the 1800s and went to this yard early 1900's

Painting, blacking, welding. anodes etc all done.

A quality yard.

Probably at least a 12 month waiting list (we had to book in 12 months prior to even get blacked.

Worth a phone call tho, it'll at least give you an idea of options (windows out or windows in etc) and the likely prices.

Screenshot (207).png

Being Blacked :

CAM00042.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Some boating neighbours left to go to the T Trevethick yard for a repaint. Will see what the result looks like when they get back. A proper boat yard!

PROPER - great big 'steaming' tanks and huge beams of wood being bent for the 'wooden ships', smells of wood shavings, pitch, bacon butties and coffee.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Some boating neighbours left to go to the T Trevethick yard for a repaint. Will see what the result looks like when they get back. A proper boat yard!

Trouble is, not what's it like when they bring it home but what's it like in 5 years time

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Trouble is, not what's it like when they bring it home but what's it like in 5 years time

They will do whatever you are prepared to pay for.

From a flash over with the spray gun, to windows etc removed, everything back to bare metal and 2 coats of primer, 2 of undercoat and 5 of gloss carefully rubbed back between each coat to a 'mirror' finish.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

They will do whatever you are prepared to pay for.

From a flash over with the spray gun, to windows etc removed, everything back to bare metal and 2 coats of primer, 2 of undercoat and 5 of gloss carefully rubbed back between each coat to a 'mirror' finish.

Its still down to how good it holds out. Most of them look great leaving the paint shop, some look great in 5 years time and some the paint is falling off.

7 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I certainly want an indoor paint shop. I don't understand how any professional painter could provide the highest quality without one.

there are indoor paint shops and there are draughty bareley covered sheds

On 18/05/2021 at 08:36, BEngo said:

Chris Weston of Oxon Boat Painting did Jarrah at Brinklow in 2011.  At 10 years old it is still looking good, though the red is now a little tired.

N

its always the red isn't it?

• Greenie 1

Unfortunately yes.  It is in the pigments, and while modern ones are worse, even the old style lead compounds were prone to fading.

A final coat of coach varnish with a UV filter in it should help, but then you have to renew it every couple of years at least.

N

18 hours ago, robtheplod said:

its always the red isn't it?

But we pay the same price for a tin of red as other colours and it fades. It is not fit for purpose and we shouldn't have to put up with it

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

But we pay the same price for a tin of red as other colours and it fades. It is not fit for purpose and we shouldn't have to put up with it

Is any paint or wood preserver fit for purpose today?

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

You don't have to put up with it - just choose a different colour for your own boat. You don't have to look at many Vauxhall Astras to see all the red ones of those fade badly too. Red paint, particularly if not regularly protected, fades. 

As someone on the margins of the painting business, I endorse the application of varnish to preserve red paint. Years ago I wrote our boat Resolute on red panels, quite an involved livery. Some 6 or 7 years on, the red was looking a little tired. My options were varnish or strip, re- paint then Re write. I opted for the easier option, using panel wipe to remove any polish or nasties on the surface, followed by a light abrasion with a scotch cloth. A quick wipe with a tack cloth to remove dust, then varnish applied with a 4” foam roller, laid off with a good brush, used vertically. 4 panels done in less than an hour, about the same to re-coat subsequently. As Bengo said, a reapplication in 18 24 months is worthwhile, don’t let it flake or it’s too late!!

• Greenie 1