Residential Address

kalees

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, kalees said:

Hi All,

We are looking to becoming CCers and will be using our sons address for bank etc.

Will we be liable for council tax at this address even though we will be living on the boat?

Short answer no.

If your son is entitled to a single occupancy discount it could affect that though. As technically the property wont be 'occupied' by a single person.

5 minutes ago, kalees said:

Hi All,

We are looking to becoming CCers and will be using our sons address for bank etc.

Will we be liable for council tax at this address even though we will be living on the boat?

No, but if he is single and get reduced council tax, IT MAY affect his status.

I have heard (never investigated it) that if the house owner is getting any financial support (allowances, universal credit etc etc) these can also be affected as the 'new residents' income may be taken into account as part of the total household income.

Worth talking to your accountant or Citizens Advice. as here you will get 5 people answering your question and 6 different answers.

Edit Sopoling errurs

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Short answer no.

If your son is entitled to a single occupancy discount it could affect that though. As technically the property wont be 'occupied' by a single person.

Both myself and my partner still have stuff like banks etc at my mothers address. Up until recently we were also registered to vote there but they now seem to accept our business address for that. Council are fine with it as she explained the situation to them…in fact the person on the end of the phone was most helpful. She has no issues with the council tax discount….just a form to tick once in a while. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Both myself and my partner still have stuff like banks etc at my mothers address. Up until recently we were also registered to vote there but they now seem to accept our business address for that. Council are fine with it as she explained the situation to them…in fact the person on the end of the phone was most helpful. She has no issues with the council tax discount….just a form to tick once in a while. 

I think it is one of those things that vary by council.

When we investigated this with my mother in laws address the advice from her council was that yes she would likely lose her discount. We never pursued it further though as we never moved aboard.

Of course if she had lost it we would have just paid her the difference, which would still be miles cheaper than paying CT on a band D property.