Getting Water Out of Gas Pipes

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, blackrose said:

How does that happen? I guess there must be water vapour getting past the regulator that builds up?

Could the pipes be sucked out with a wetvac or wouldn't that work against a vacuum inside the pipe?

Not sure how it happens, I asume its a sort of condensation where the gas carries a bit of humidity. Everybody is clear that you need to keep the HP lines draining down into the cylinder but my gas locker is a fraction too short and horizontal is the best I can do.  Its been ok for many years but now its caused a problem.

The info that came with the regulator states that gas lines should be blown back from the appliance where possible, but your wetvac suggestion may be worth attempting.

1 minute ago, Keeping Up said:

There is also a little bit of smelly stuff ("stenching agent") in the bottles. This can also condense in the pipes as an oily brown liquid, this has caused a blockage in ours on several occasions.

Ethyl mercaptan, which is why you should not invert a gas bottle though the outlet does have a short dip tube. Its Horrible Smelly Stuff.

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There is also a little bit of smelly stuff ("stenching agent") in the bottles. This can also condense in the pipes as an oily brown liquid, this has caused a blockage in ours on several occasions.

How did you get yourself unblocked?

Disconnect the furthest end of the pipe, and any tee junctions which go downward, from whatever they go to, at a convenient union. Get someone to hold a  loose ball of  rag at the open  ends of the pipes.

Disconnect the regulator end of the pipe  and insert the long plastic nozzle of a can of air duster (Screwfix and others sell it).  Seal round with some duct tape or a lump of  plasticine.  Discharge the air duster down the pipe till the water stops coming out the rag ends. You may want a second Tin to be sure, to be sure.

Expect to get some stenching agent as well as water.

If you have a compressor or a 12V tyre inflators you can use that instead of a can of air duster.

Sucking from one open end will not work.  Air has to be able to get in to replace the water you want out.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Disconnect the furthest end of the pipe, and any tee junctions which go downward, from whatever they go to, at a convenient union. Get someone to hold a  loose ball of  rag at the open  ends of the pipes.

Disconnect the regulator end of the pipe  and insert the long plastic nozzle of a can of air duster (Screwfix and others sell it).  Seal round with some duct tape or a lump of  plasticine.  Discharge the air duster down the pipe till the water stops coming out the rag ends. You may want a second Tin to be sure, to be sure.

Expect to get some stenching agent as well as water.

If you have a compressor or a 12V tyre inflators you can use that instead of a can of air duster.

Sucking from one open end will not work.  Air has to be able to get in to replace the water you want out.

N

Or even a car spare tyre with the valve taken out. Bodge the connecting tube and make sure you can get it on and off the valve before removing the valve core.

Or, as I have done in other circumstances, use a hair dryer or a fan heater (on cold setting) as a source of blown air. A plastic bag or bin-liner with the end cut off, plus a load of sticky tape, makes a perfectly good connecting tube, and you can leave it blowing air for several hours to evaporate any moisture.

6 hours ago, BEngo said:

But do note that the "air" in air dusters is not, in fact, air, but a flammable hydrocarbon (probably propane or butane) so discharging large quantities of it in a boat may be a bad idea.

I recently discovered this when using an air duster to clean out the burner in the gas grill on the boat. I gave it a good blow-out, then lit it to see if the obstructions were cleared. The resulting fireball removed quite a lot of fore-arm hair, and rattled the doors at the opposite end of the cabin.

MP.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

But do note that the "air" in air dusters is not, in fact, air, but a flammable hydrocarbon (probably propane or butane) so discharging large quantities of it in a boat may be a bad idea.

I recently discovered this when using an air duster to clean out the burner in the gas grill on the boat. I gave it a good blow-out, then lit it to see if the obstructions were cleared. The resulting fireball removed quite a lot of fore-arm hair, and rattled the doors at the opposite end of the cabin.

MP.

The Screwfix/Toolstation product claims to be non flammable.

N

The best way to shift moisture from pipes is vacuum. Not a vacuum cleaner but a vacuum pump. Block all outlets but one and vac it down overnight. If you don't have access to the vacuum pump, there's a thread further down called "canal boating sucks" you could try that.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked at the ingredients list in some "air dusters" and decided against using them.  I went for disconnecting the pipe at both ends, connecting a rubber tube to the appliance end, and connecting a new bicycle pump to that. Then I pumped hard for 10 minutes.  On reconnecting everything worked, and whats more, the Morco now starts first click which it has never in its ~8 year  history done before!

A good weapon for this kind of thing is one of those little 12v air compressors for blowing up car tyres, one that plugs into a fag lighter socket. Apart from blowing up tyres they're very useful for blowing out things, gas lines, fuel lines, blowing crumbs of your keyboard. They usually come with a couple of different nozzles for blowing up air beds, dinghies, dolls ect.  Costs range form about £15.