Rescue operation at Holyhead.

Featured Posts

The two-masted clipper Zebu has run aground on Holyhead breakwater

LIVE: Rescue operation to save historic ship stuck at 45-degree angle on Holyhead breakwater

The 100ft tall ship Zebu has become lodged against the structure

An operation is underway to save a historic ship which has become stuck against the breakwater at Holyhead.

The 100ft tall ship Zebu is said to be tilted at a 45-degree angle in the water.

We will bring you the latest on the situation as we get it.

For the latest news, please visit North Wales Live

Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

If you have some information you can contact us by following our Twitter feed @northwaleslive - the official North Wales Live account - real news in real time.

15:22ANDREW FORGRAVE

High tide

Hopes that the vessel could be refloated at high tide appear to be receding.

As the tide has come in, the Zebu has taken more water and there appears to be a lot of head-scratching going on by the assembled experts.

A witness said:

There's not much going on at the moment.

There's no great rescue operation taking place.

To me, it looks a bit like damage limitation at the moment.

0_DPP_DPW_160521HolyheadShipZebu_1JPG.jpg

A close up of the Zebu which lies helplessly against the rocks in Holyhead.

The ship was originally built in Sweden and acted as a trading vessel.

It is believed it may have helped with the evacuation of Jewish refugees from Denmark during the Second World War.

The ship was later converted into a sail training and expedition ship.

Much more here with historical pictures etc :

LIVE: Rescue operation to save historic ship stuck at 45-degree angle on Holyhead breakwater - North Wales Live (dailypost.co.uk)

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Was this boat in Liverpool as a visitor attraction in 2019 serm to think I had a look round in when we were in Salthouse Dock and it was berthed in the half tide Dock ? 

Hope they save it anyway

It was in Liverpool for a while and sank in Albert dock and was subject to a complicated refloating. I never heard about why it sank.

.............Dave

4 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Was this boat in Liverpool as a visitor attraction in 2019 serm to think I had a look round in when we were in Salthouse Dock and it was berthed in the half tide Dock ? 

Hope they save it anyway

Yes it's been there for a few years.  

Very sad to see, I hope she doesn't break up.

5 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Hope they save it anyway

If you open the link, it shows it in 'earlier times' in Liverpool :

0_JS108780907.jpg

Thanks Alan hadnt scrolled down far enough... 

My recollection of it when I went aboard was that it was rather strange, With most of it locked off. Although there did seem to be some sporadic repair work going on.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Did they manage to refloat her?

As the tide rose, the boat didn't and she shipped more water,. As of about 5pm yesteday, other options are being considered.

Salvage options

It is understood any salvage operation, if it happens, is unlikely to take place today.

One possibility is lifting the boat with a crane, while pumping water to remove weight.

Another is to raise the Zebu using flotation devices and pulleys attached to slings under the vessel.

A decision will need to be taken by the port authority, and the boat's owners and insurers.

I'm really sad about this, we spent a happy evening on Zebu. I am not convinced that an electric motor was the best decision, I think previously it had a 6 cylinder Gardner.

Liverpool has now lost both Zebu and its lightship.

..............Dave

1 hour ago, Bee said:

That is really sad, looked like an easy salvage too.

Unfortunately not many salvage operations are "easy", and it is very often that the weather  has the final say in whether there is success or failure.

Howard

2 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

Latest situation photo.

Zebu.jpg

That's odd because on their facebook page they say the masts and rigging were removed several days ago, and I have seen photos of two very big cranes on the dockside which I assume removed the masts.

................Dave

58 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Reminds me of when  I was a kid and saw a Tall Ship on parade down the Mersey and then its wreckage smashed all over the beach in Cornwall the following summer. 

We have a habit of taking some of the last pictures of historic ships.

Asgard II, June 2008, Dublin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asgard_II

Asgard II.jpg