Featured Posts

On 17/05/2021 at 20:59, Arthur Marshall said:

That's interesting. Maybe it depends partly on viewing platform? 

As I say, it really isn't important, and I wish I'd never started this now! I apologise if I've upset anyone, including the OP who has every right to monetise the videos, because they cost time and money to produce. And if they are good quality and interesting, good luck to him and I'm glad people enjoy them. My personal view is just that and as I say, I didn't mean to start a riot...

I never get ads when I click Mykaskin vids, whether tha'ts because he subscribes to my small output, whether that's because youtube algorithms recognise the engine noises and thinks we are tight buggers having to spend so much to keep them running, who knows.....

worth a watch Arthur, anyway.....just in case you clog up a local waterway with yer boat or trombone.

On 17/05/2021 at 16:38, ditchcrawler said:

There are no advertisements in it, I can't listen to it at the moment as this laptop has a bust speaker, but looking at it, its just Mike on Victoria giving advice, I can't lip read ether so I don't know what it is

Enable captioning, click or touch CC at the top right.

posting your youtube video IS advertising but it has been allowed here for others so why not OP?

btw does every vlog thread need to have same generic banal reply? it gets boring after a while. may be try watching one and comment specific to the video.

17 hours ago, mykaskin said:

Don't worry about upsetting me - you haven't and thanks for clarifying what you meant. You have a fair point - and I do monetise my videos to try and get a (tiny) bit of money back to keep Victoria running. I've been trying some different types of video to try and get some more traffic. I hope they are interesting to the people, and I don't post all my videos on Canalworld - just some that I think people might find interesting or helpful. I think I've done enough boating over the years to understand the problems and issues involved - although I'm always ready to learn especially if I'm wrong!

Note that youtube reserves the right to put adverts on all videos, monetised or not, and seems likely in the near future - nothing is free in this world...

Cheers, Mike

And obviously people do find them valuable, judging by the comments on here.

It'll be interesting if YT does stick their own ads on everything.  I suspect that will be the start of the end of it and it'll go the way of FR and MySpace and the rest of them, and it'll be replaced by something else that does the same thing, but apparently for free.  They make their real money by selling and tracking your data, and the data from those who click on stuff.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It'll be interesting if YT does stick their own ads on everything.  I suspect that will be the start of the end of it and it'll go the way of FR and MySpace and the rest of them,

They say they are going to, I posted the other day a copy of the letter I got from them :

A summary of the changes:
  • Facial recognition restrictions: The Terms of Service already state that you cannot collect any information that might identify a person without their permission. While this has always included facial recognition information, the new Terms make that explicitly clear.
  • YouTube’s right to monetize: YouTube has the right to monetize all content on the platform and ads may appear on videos from channels not in the YouTube Partner Program.
  • Royalty payments and tax withholding: For creators entitled to revenue payments, such payments will be treated as royalties from a U.S. tax perspective and Google will withhold taxes where required by law.

Please make sure you read the updates to the Terms carefully. The new Terms will take effect on June 1, 2021 for users outside the U.S. By continuing to use YouTube after this date, you are agreeing to the new Terms. Please note, if you allow your child to use YouTube Kids, then you are agreeing to the new Terms on behalf of your child as well.

On 17/05/2021 at 20:59, Arthur Marshall said:

That's interesting. Maybe it depends partly on viewing platform? 

As I say, it really isn't important, and I wish I'd never started this now! I apologise if I've upset anyone, including the OP who has every right to monetise the videos, because they cost time and money to produce. And if they are good quality and interesting, good luck to him and I'm glad people enjoy them. My personal view is just that and as I say, I didn't mean to start a riot...

Perhaps you'd best go and practice your trombone, then you won't annoy anyone. 

28 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

Perhaps you'd best go and practice your trombone, then you won't annoy anyone. 

Luckily, it appears I haven't.

I've been conducting experiments round the fields at the back of our house. The cows are fascinated by the euphonium, the ducks waddle up for the cornet and everything scarpers when I get the trombone out. Accordions and banjos are for those with perfect pitch. And the relevant skip.

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

good video, better than many posted here, only (minor) criticism is it has too much footage of OP's belly.

He's worked hard on that of course it's going to make an appearance.

Mike has been a part of this forum for a long time, he knows his stuff and I see no issues with the videos, quietly informative and worth the time

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I liked the video.Good job, Mike.

How many millions could the EverGiven's owners have saved if someone on the bridge had ever had a canal holiday?

As for nearly two pages of off-the-point discussion - J**us!

Is this sort of thing related to atmospheric pressure, I wonder; a bit like clicking and pixellation on the TV?