Featured Posts

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Seems clear enough to me. A comment on the transient nature of social media channels.

And their sheer pointlessness. Endless "instruction" videos about how to do this that or the other, all of them giving slightly different advice. Some of them are excellent, most are not and there's absolutely no way to tell which is which.

Generally, there's a rule on here about advertising, and that includes the generous "sharing" of something someone wants a bit of free publicity for, and helps them make a bit more money from the clickbait.

This isn't a site for salesmen.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 2

56 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Generally, there's a rule on here about advertising, and that includes the generous "sharing" of something someone wants a bit of free publicity for, and helps them make a bit more money from the clickbait.

I don't think I would consider Mike a salesman or someone who is after click bait I have enjoyed his videos on stating Listers, Bolinders and also his icebreaking which scares the hell out of a lot of todays boaters

• Greenie 2

48 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think I would consider Mike a salesman or someone who is after click bait I have enjoyed his videos on stating Listers, Bolinders and also his icebreaking which scares the hell out of a lot of todays boaters

If someone wants you to click on a YouTube channel which is monetised with adverts that you have to sit through, he's a salesman flogging you something. His videos may be good or they may be crap.  His advice may be valid or it may be dangerous. The videos are a way of making money, no different from the rest of the vloggers etc. The title of this thread is pure social media clickbait.

One does no harm. Plenty more out there, be a shame if the forum got clogged up with it, that's all. As I object to being force fed ads, I switch out as soon as I see one. It's not important enough to make an issue of, which is why I've not reported it to the mods as (probably) against forum guidelines, just commented here.

• Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If someone wants you to click on a YouTube channel which is monetised with adverts that you have to sit through, he's a salesman flogging you something. His videos may be good or they may be crap.  His advice may be valid or it may be dangerous. The videos are a way of making money, no different from the rest of the vloggers etc. The title of this thread is pure social media clickbait.

One does no harm. Plenty more out there, be a shame if the forum got clogged up with it, that's all. As I object to being force fed ads, I switch out as soon as I see one. It's not important enough to make an issue of, which is why I've not reported it to the mods as (probably) against forum guidelines, just commented here.

Try watching it Arthur. If you had you’d probably not be clogging up this particular bit of space on the forum.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There are no advertisements in it, I can't listen to it at the moment as this laptop has a bust speaker, but looking at it, its just Mike on Victoria giving advice, I can't lip read ether so I don't know what it is

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Generally, there's a rule on here about advertising, and that includes the generous "sharing" of something.

Yes there is, but I can't agree that it applies to something which is free - it applies to commercial advertising.

No, it's not a site for salesmen, and as far as I know Mike Askin isn't one - he may sell coal from his working boat (I can't remember) but he's not selling anything here.

He's been a member here for years - longer than I have in fact - so it's not as if we're talking about someone from Outer Mali popping up and offering you floating bitcoins. 

The good thing about the internet and vlogs is that anybody can publish stuff even if they're not rich or famous.

The bad thing about the internet and vlogs is that anybody can publish stuff even if they're irritating or know nothing.

On the principle that "90% of everything is sh*t", why would we expect vlogs to be any different? There are a few good ones out there, a lot of meh ones, and some truly terrible ones.

But the point is, nobody forces you to read/watch them, so you can choose only the good/interesting ones or the ones you want to see and ignore the rest.

If people take bad advice from the rubbish ones, well that's the internet for you, there's a *mountain* of crap out there and it's up to users to decide what to trust and take notice of. No different to books, or magazines, or newspapers, or TV, or radio, or politicians, or...

Edited by IanD

28 minutes ago, IanD said:

The good thing about the internet and vlogs is that anybody can publish stuff even if they're not rich or famous.

The bad thing about the internet and vlogs is that anybody can publish stuff even if they're irritating or know nothing.

On the principle that "90% of everything is sh*t", why would we expect vlogs to be any different? There are a few good ones out there, a lot of meh ones, and some truly terrible ones.

But the point is, nobody forces you to read/watch them, so you can choose only the good/interesting ones or the ones you want to see and ignore the rest.

If people take bad advice from the rubbish ones, well that's the internet for you, there's a *mountain* of crap out there and it's up to users to decide what to trust and take notice of. No different to books, or magazines, or newspapers, or TV, or radio, or politicians, or...

...or indeed! Readers of this forum who ask for advice and sometimes take what is offered at face value may like to take note. Sometimes bull manure does baffle brains.

Howard

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

Try watching it Arthur. If you had you’d probably not be clogging up this particular bit of space on the forum.

I don't watch stuff on YouTube that makes me click through adverts  however worthy the topic may be. Any time you click past an ad, there you are on yet another database being targeted for spam. Whether there are ads in the vid itself is irrelevant.  The point of the video (and the rather obviously controversial thread title) is to get clicks on the preceding ads, which makes you money.

If you're a business, you obviously want to monetise everything you do, which is fair enough, but once you surround it with ads, you're doing something commercial, not just out of interest or concern. That's all, it doesn't bother most people, and it's really good for the spammers and data collectors. 

It's not important enough to bother about, and I'm quite happy to leave the matter there if everyone else is.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't watch stuff on YouTube that makes me click through adverts  however worthy the topic may be. Any time you click past an ad, there you are on yet another database being targeted for spam. Whether there are ads in the vid itself is irrelevant.  The point of the video (and the rather obviously controversial thread title) is to get clicks on the preceding ads, which makes you money.

If you're a business, you obviously want to monetise everything you do, which is fair enough, but once you surround it with ads, you're doing something commercial, not just out of interest or concern. That's all, it doesn't bother most people, and it's really good for the spammers and data collectors. 

It's not important enough to bother about, and I'm quite happy to leave the matter there if everyone else is.

You don't need to click past anything, the only thing you would click if you want to see it is the link Mike posted. no adds, no clickbait, no money, no job, no earnings, no spam but of course data is collected every time you click anything on the net including here or even

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ads on YouTube aren't driven by the poster they are added by Google.

Just now, Rob-M said:

But if the video is popular enough the originator will get a small proportion of the advertising revenue. So videos which do not themselves contain advertising or 'sponsored content' still can make money from the ads which YouTube inserts before and during videos (unless you have a paid for youtube account which means no ads).

19 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You have a  choice to include ads, and you get a pittance per click.

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But if the video is popular enough the originator will get a small proportion of the advertising revenue. So videos which do not themselves contain advertising or 'sponsored content' still can make money from the ads which YouTube inserts before and during videos (unless you have a paid for youtube account which means no ads).

I don't pay for my account, and there are no ads inserted on any of my videos.

37 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You don't need to click past anything, the only thing you would click if you want to see it is the link Mike posted. no adds, no clickbait, no money, no job, no earnings, no spam but of course data is collected every time you click anything on the net including here or even

No ad, see? Unlike the OP, which if you bother to check, has two.

No ads? As I say, that's fine  but don't tell me it aint there! And it's the user's choice whether to include them or not, not something Google does by itself. Some people on here would deny black isn't white.

Screenshot_2021-05-17_204438.jpg

Edited by Arthur Marshall

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You have a  choice to include ads, and you get a pittance per click.

I don't pay for my account, and there are no ads inserted on any of my videos.

No ad, see? Unlike the OP, which if you bother to check, has two.

I didn't get any when I clicked Mike

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

No ads? As I say, that's fine  but don't tell me it aint there! And it's the user's choice whether to include them or not, not something Google foes by itself. Some people on here would deny black isn't white.

Screenshot_2021-05-17_204438.jpg

I didnt get that I went straight into the video

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I didn't get any when I clicked Mike

I didnt get that I went straight into the video

That's interesting. Maybe it depends partly on viewing platform? 

As I say, it really isn't important, and I wish I'd never started this now! I apologise if I've upset anyone, including the OP who has every right to monetise the videos, because they cost time and money to produce. And if they are good quality and interesting, good luck to him and I'm glad people enjoy them. My personal view is just that and as I say, I didn't mean to start a riot...

• Greenie 2

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

As I say, it really isn't important, and I wish I'd never started this now! I apologise if I've upset anyone, including the OP who has every right to monetise the videos, because they cost time and money to produce. And if they are good quality and interesting, good luck to him and I'm glad people enjoy them. My personal view is just that and as I say, I didn't mean to start a riot...

And I didn't realise you had done so many, but as I don't have a working speaker on this laptop they are going to have to wait a bit.

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And I didn't realise you had done so many, but as I don't have a working speaker on this laptop they are going to have to wait a bit.

It's not a commercial thing for me, I got paid for live stuff, these were mostly recordings for CDs or lately because there's nowhere to play new material, and topical stuff dates quickly so it gets bunged on FB and forgotten. There are a few daft boating ones in there though.

It's different if you are doing them professionally, as I gather Mike is. That needs paying for one way or another. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/05/2021 at 20:59, Arthur Marshall said:

Don't worry about upsetting me - you haven't and thanks for clarifying what you meant. You have a fair point - and I do monetise my videos to try and get a (tiny) bit of money back to keep Victoria running. I've been trying some different types of video to try and get some more traffic. I hope they are interesting to the people, and I don't post all my videos on Canalworld - just some that I think people might find interesting or helpful. I think I've done enough boating over the years to understand the problems and issues involved - although I'm always ready to learn especially if I'm wrong!

Note that youtube reserves the right to put adverts on all videos, monetised or not, and seems likely in the near future - nothing is free in this world...

Cheers, Mike

• Greenie 2

If Mike gets some money to help keep Victoria afloat and working good on him.

As most on here appreciate what BOAT stands for, it ain't cheap to keep any narrow boat in good fettle, even more so with a 90+ year old craft.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1