Ovenless cooking?

ruralsimple

Featured Posts

While working on the rough mechanical layout diagram I was meaning to upload to another forum section later on today I realized that I also had meant to ask about this other thing...

I know that tube muffins and small quiches [for example] are not difficult to do on top of the stove alone but I just had to wonder if cookies is one of these things that I may have to stop making at home or is it not that difficult to adapt?

Just trying to figure out the reasonable limit if any toward deciding to make do with only a cooktop alone and especially keeping at least one good dutch oven pot on hand there as well.

There're lots of recipes for griddle cakes and biscuits - Welsh Cakes come to mind, which I'm sure you'd call them Welsh Cookies. Not sure where the line is crossed for cookies re cakes and biscuits. Drop Scones, or Scotch Pancakes might suit. I see there's a recipe for Chocolate Chip Griddle Cookies online. 

Mr Biscuits I'd never heard of a top of the stove pizza oven.... sounds fantastic. Thanks for the heads up.

Half the fun is adapting to a boat. 

Hmm Welsh Cakes sounds just as good as cookies, will have to look up some sample recipes to try maybe in a few days or when that one small cake here is gone so thanks for the suggestion.

Pizza oven looks like an interesting option, will see what sort of retails there are for these around within Canada.

5 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

Not sure where the line is crossed for cookies re cakes and biscuits.

There is now a legal definition - following the court case involving Jaffa Cakes and VAT, as under EU laws biscuits were/are subject to standard rate VAT and cakes were/are VAT Zero rated.

In the eyes of UK law, biscuits and cakes are necessities and are zero rated.  However, chocolate-covered biscuits are regarded as a luxury, which means the full rate of VAT is payable.

For reasons that are not entirely clear or logical, no distinction is made between chocolate-covered cake and cake without a chocolate coating.

All this might have passed us by as a quaint aspect of British legal thinking if McVities, the makers of Jaffa Cakes, had not gone to court, arguing that their product was a cake. To prove its case, McVities baked a special 12 inch Jaffa Cake which persuaded the court of its cake-like properties.** As a result, no VAT is charged on Jaffa or other, more traditional chocolate covered cakes.

An equally eccentric VAT rule applies to gingerbread men. No VAT is charged if the figure has two chocolate spots for its eyes, but any chocolate-based additions, such as buttons or a belt, mean VAT is payable. So it’s cheaper to buy no-chocolate-frills gingerbread men.

** If left "out" biscuits go 'soft' but cakes go 'hard' -

HMRC agreed that Jaffa Cakes go hard and therefore will be subject to zero VAT

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Happy 1