Magic solution for cleaning acrylic windows on canopies?

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a magic formula to remove grime and discolouration on acrylic (think that's what the clear plastic is called?) canopy windows.

Planning to spend the morning 'experimenting' on test areas.

Any suggestions? Thanks in anticipation ?

Mine weren’t discoloured as such, just dirty. I used window spray. Didn’t remove scratches but certainly cleaned them. If you have lots of water to rinse off, then try a strong mixture of washing up liquid and water.

Keep it simple, that’s me!

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

Haven't been able to make much difference. I did read that acid chemicals shouldn't be used. 

First off:

I used 'Blue Bullet' a car headlight cleaner - not much difference

Then I used toothpaste, hardly noticeable

Brasso cleaner, hardly noticeable

Bar Keepers friend made into a paste, maybe I could see a difference

Anti Cal bathroom spray - meahhh ?

Somewhere in the 'process' I used WD40 several times.

The stains do feel rough, like there's calcium.

The other side of the boat is fine. Though this side is where the chimney is, so maybe there's been an acid reaction, possibly when the chimney was smoking and it was raining.  

Wondering if anyone has more ideas I could try?  Thanks.

Before.....

1.jpg.689ebc8a4717134b9574039f9936d192.jpg

After.....

2.jpg.4242f6ff0d48c32862c4cc9846eb00ea.jpg

Like you, I tried lots of stuff to try and get the cratch windows see throughable again and failed miserably. We ended up getting the windows replaced and now I only clean them with a chamois. Wet and Forget got the blame. I used it on the canvas and some seeped onto the windows,

haggis

• Greenie 1

Got a good excuse to stop now... surprise surprise it's raining!

Read that kerosene might work, as we don't have any I used white spirit. Afterwards it was polished with AutoGlym Vinyl cleaner (silicone spray I think). Perhaps it's my imagination, think there's an improvement. 

3.jpg.fb026311ef25eccfedbc181786f037e3.jpg

26 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Lots of water at pressure from a hose.

If you rub celluloid with anything,it will make minute scratches.

If it has gone cloudy with age and sunlight,it's had it! and needs replacing.

Afraid you're right! ☹️ I think it's done 6 years.

22 minutes ago, frangar said:

You could try the stuff that the classic car mob use...I think its called Renovo....they do one for hoods and one for the plastic windows...there might be better out there now...have a hunt on the classic car forums.

Thanks! Will do a bit of research! ?

I have exactly the same issue.

Its on the side that gets the most sun at our home mooring.

I have tried all sorts with no great success including using a  polisher  and G3 polish .

Edited by MartynG

9 hours ago, buccaneer66 said:

Toothpaste and BKF are abrasive and will make it worse.

There's a slight feel of roughness, like there's a calcium build-up on the effected areas. Or it could be caused by corrosion by acid smoke from the chimney which is in the same 'corner' of the boat. 

The boat was moored with that side facing the canal and in full sun for months during the lockdowns. There was a algae colony starting there too, I didn't bother much thinking it could be cleaned when that side is next to the towpath. Hot sun on the algae could have created a caustic effect? 

When 'oily' WD40 is applied, the stains are not so opaque, but that dries and the stains reappear.

image.png.275b97f976651d1d76ec08b31c0a02a2.png

This probably explains why the anti-cal bathroom spray had the most effect (I think). 

I had the same symptoms on some acrylic ( ridgid ) windows, on a commercial vessel.  The sun facing ones were the worst and had a similar rough feel.  What worked for me was T-cut.  The windows were cloudy to the point of being almost opaque and are now perfectly usable.  Suggest trying on a test area, hope this helps.

15 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

I had the same symptoms on some acrylic ( ridgid ) windows, on a commercial vessel.  The sun facing ones were the worst and had a similar rough feel.  What worked for me was T-cut.  The windows were cloudy to the point of being almost opaque and are now perfectly usable.  Suggest trying on a test area, hope this helps.

Great idea.... will have a go. Thank you!

6 hours ago, NB Esk said:

What worked for me was T-cut.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Jewelers' rouge will polish glass and metal to a high shine.

T-cut and rouge are both abrasives. As are toothpaste and Brasso. So why would the former work and not the latter?