River Ouse Sunk Vessel

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not a stoppage but something to beware of. There is a "sunk" cruiser on the Ouse.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10222820535089225&id=1451520729&sfnsn=scwspmo

Unfortunately  am not able to access this link because I do not subscribe to Facebook. ?

Howard

Looks like it may have hit a very hard underwater obstruction and been holed??

What ever the cause that is a real shame.

Edit - suggestion in the comments that a large floating tree may have been hit and either holed the hull or ripped off a leg. By which I presume they mean the stern drive.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

It won't have ripped the leg off. It's a shift driven boat ???

I did wonder. 

Both links now not working.

I never accessed this before it was removed so don't know where or how it happened but has occurred to me in the past  that having a rescue / tow boat moored on the Ouse maybe at Cawood on vhf might be a good idea with the speed of the water and amount of debris that float back and forth. I read in Goole times a few years ago about a narrow boat that grounded near Ouse bridge and was towed into Goole by Humber Rescue, travelling from Naburn he originally meant to enter Selby lock, Then missed Barmby. I think it was very windy and he couldn't turn around. 

27 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It is indeed above Naburn on the non tidal river which makes it even more amazing that they have managed to do enough damage to sink the boat at the low speeds that should have been involved.

There is no point in speculating over the cause but a  call out at 3am  is very odd. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Indeed it is. Sure the story will come to light at some point in the near future.

https://yorkmix.com/three-people-rescued-from-sinking-boat-in-york/

When we came back down the Ouse a few years ago there was a small cabin cruiser that had been dragged up the bank after hitting debris and breaching the hull. Given the size of stuff we found lurking in the water it doesn’t surprise me especially if they had the power on. 

25 minutes ago, frangar said:

When we came back down the Ouse a few years ago there was a small cabin cruiser that had been dragged up the bank after hitting debris and breaching the hull. Given the size of stuff we found lurking in the water it doesn’t surprise me especially if they had the power on. 

It's on the non tidal river above Naburn near Bishopthorpe.

Edited by Naughty Cal

It's on the non tidal river above Naburn.

Yep... thats where the cruiser we saw was.....not far downstream from the lock as you come off the Ripon Canal....cant remember the name of it at the moment....

Oxclose Lock?

Thats the one....just looked it up....as we went past we thought it was an odd place to moor...then got chatting so some other boaters a bit further down who said what had happened...luckily it was only a small cruiser and they made it to the bank and dragged it up a short way....there wasn't as much debris there as the tidal section but still enough if you found something solid.

• 4 weeks later...