YouTube Vloggers

matty40s

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Well,Wales is supposed to be the land of song,

The guy singing,was it Alan De Enfield or Mrsmelly?

I don't sing.

Many years ago I was reasonably good at acting, amateur dramatics etc but appaling at singing. I was given the lead roll of Sullivan in a play about Gilbert & Sulivan, I was told I would not be expected to sing and that someone in the wings would do the singing for me.

Thing is I still had to learn all the words of the songs so as to be able to mime them.

I am the very model of the modern major general .....................................

On a tree by a river a little tom-tit, sang "Willow, titwillow, titwillow" ................

I had an electric candle on my writing desk and when I 'died' I had to collapse on the desk and with a small switch underneath switch off the candle - Opening night I got a very unpleasant shock off that switch.

Memories - Its like a brain worm.

8 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

I called the police on my neighbours a few months ago, they started screaming at each other at 1 am...

I called the police on my neighbours a few months ago, they started screaming at each other at 1 am...

It must have been serious if you had to do it twice.

This specific incident aside, I'm not sure why this forum seems to have such a broad hatred for vloggers. Is it because people are jealous of the attention they get or they view them as somehow 'skipping ahead' in the canal prestige league tables? Yes some of them are new boaters (definitely not all) but they don't claim to be oracles of the waterways, they are just making a bit of light entertainment. There's no need to demonise them.

I happen to think Mrs. Brown's Boys is the worst thing to happen to comedy for a generation, but I don't have anything against Brendan O'Carroll - in fact I'm sure he's a lovely man. And there are millions of people who no doubt adore that sitcom. You can criticise the content without hounding the creator.

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

36 minutes ago, BrumBargee said:

, I'm not sure why this forum seems to have such a broad hatred for vloggers.

Perhaps "hatred" is rather on the strong side; "disdain"?

I have watched very few of these films, so I'm largely going on comments that I've read here, but could this disdain stem from the perception that they are often amateurish and tedious?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I have watched very few of these films, so I'm largely going on comments that I've read here, but could this disdain stem from the perception that they are often amateurish and tedious?

I think that sums it up rather well. They also have delusions that they are something special…a bit like purveyors of towpath tat…or roving traders as some seem to think they are. 

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

I think that sums it up rather well. They also have delusions that they are something special…a bit like purveyors of towpath tat…or roving traders as some seem to think they are. 

That's fine and people are free to criticise the quality of the content. What's more sinister is some of the posts I've seen in recent months targeted specifically at the individuals rather than what they produce.

Just now, BrumBargee said:

That's fine and people are free to criticise the quality of the content. What's more sinister is some of the posts I've seen in recent months targeted specifically at the individuals rather than what they produce.

Some are more annoying than others! Some also force themselves on you more by spam posts on all groups etc. If you put yourself in the public eye then prepare to be shot down 

1 hour ago, BrumBargee said:

This specific incident aside, I'm not sure why this forum seems to have such a broad hatred for vloggers. Is it because people are jealous of the attention they get or they view them as somehow 'skipping ahead' in the canal prestige league tables? Yes some of them are new boaters (definitely not all) but they don't claim to be oracles of the waterways, they are just making a bit of light entertainment. There's no need to demonise them.

I suggest much of the dislike comes from the fact that many vloggers are young, with little to finance them, perhaps having fled the high rents of land-based accommodation and using technology in a different way than the generation before.
It's noticeable that narrowboat 'vloggers' seem to represent an out group here, the same as cyclists or composting toilet users. As though simply partaking in one activity makes you are representative of all others who do the same.

I bet there are few posters on this forum who would be drawn to criticise Liz and Jamie of Follow The Boat, yet if you look at their earnings from donations and their shameless self-promotion, they are considerably ahead of any couple living in a 20-year-old narrowboat putting up a "We did it, we're finally cruising!" video. FTB also use a drone and have no end of fancy camera gear. The difference? Liz and Jamie are over 50, well-heeled and are fairly competent sailors.

Edited by Puffling

I find some of the vlogs to be quite calming tbh. Not really bothered about the production standards, sometimes the more "amateurish" ones are more enjoayable. The ones with all the gear and some idea can get a bit formulaic, but the easy option there is not to watch them. As for the couple in question in this post, I have seen some of their vlogs, won't be watching anymore of them.

• Greenie 2

52 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

The best Vlogger by far is David (Cruising the Cut). He's down to earth and very practical. There's always something to learn on his vids, and he's well worth watching.

I went back and watched some his early stuff last night that I first watched in lockdown version one. Even enjoyed it a second time. His sense of humour is so dry I guess it would pass some by.

1 hour ago, BrumBargee said:

I happen to think Mrs. Brown's Boys is the worst thing to happen to comedy for a generation, but I don't have anything against Brendan O'Carroll - in fact I'm sure he's a lovely man. And there are millions of people who no doubt adore that sitcom. You can criticise the content without hounding the creator.

I think you will find that is is only a handful, possibly less that dislike (rather then hate) the output from the vloggers. The rest of us appreciate them, particularly the ones who do them well or don't feel compelled to comment if we encounter somebody not worth watching.

I can usually work out with ten minutes or so if somebody is worth watching and if I don't think they are I just stop watching them and don't seek them out any longer and certainly don't 'subscribe' to their channel.

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I think you will find that is is only a handful, possibly less that dislike (rather then hate) the output from the vloggers.

I think nearer the truth is that a lot of us aren't that interested in them at all until they make a nuisance of themselves, which very few do

There is a potential nuisance factor in filming in a public place, especially if it involves set pieces or dominating the best view - I say potential as, with care, there is no nuisance, but if the vlogger insists, for example, on you stopping what you're doing (even if it's listening to loud music) so they can film then they're overstepping a boundary 

It's a problem that's become worse as video has evolved - far worse than photography as it involves sound as well as a view and whereas a photograph is taken in a second a video may take several minutes.

12 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I think nearer the truth is that a lot of us aren't that interested in them at all until they make a nuisance of themselves, which very few do

There is a potential nuisance factor in filming in a public place, especially if it involves set pieces or dominating the best view - I say potential as, with care, there is no nuisance, but if the vlogger insists, for example, on you stopping what you're doing (even if it's listening to loud music) so they can film then they're overstepping a boundary 

It's a problem that's become worse as video has evolved - far worse than photography as it involves sound as well as a view and whereas a photograph is taken in a second a video may take several minutes.

Have a virtual greenie.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Some of them are actually shockingly bad but a small number are worth watching but probably only if you don't own or live on a boat like a significant number of members on here. They are not really targeted at regular or live aboard boaters, or rather it's clear to me that the one's I watch are not. If you follow the comments on their videos it's pretty apparent that the vast majority of people watching them don't have and never have had a boat. 

17 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Whilst I was commenting particularly on the output I can agree causing a nuisance  like that would be annoying, but that said the ones I watch seem to come with either hand held 'go pro' type cameras or their phones or they mount them on their boats. I can't imagine they cause too much if any nuisance (but of course some may.)

27 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Some of them are actually shockingly bad but a small number are worth watching but probably only if you don't own or live on a boat like a significant number of members on here. They are not really targeted at regular or live aboard boaters, or rather it's clear to me that the one's I watch are not. If you follow the comments on their videos it's pretty apparent that the vast majority of people watching them don't have and never have had a boat. 

Ah, so you're the one who watched mine then!  :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

My vote goes to Andy Tidy and his Canal Explorer series, although it might have limited audience as it's all about the BCN.

Extremely well researched and informative. 

I couldn't agree more

What bothers me is boaters who are actually newer to boating than most of the vologers think the vologers are experts and that's the way to do things. One I enjoyed was the chap changing his boat to electric drive, no airs and graces , cockups and all

4 hours ago, Puffling said:

I suggest much of the dislike comes from the fact that many vloggers are young, with little to finance them, perhaps having fled the high rents of land-based accommodation and using technology in a different way than the generation before.
It's noticeable that narrowboat 'vloggers' seem to represent an out group here, the same as cyclists or composting toilet users. As though simply partaking in one activity makes you are representative of all others who do the same.

I bet there are few posters on this forum who would be drawn to criticise Liz and Jamie of Follow The Boat, yet if you look at their earnings from donations and their shameless self-promotion, they are considerably ahead of any couple living in a 20-year-old narrowboat putting up a "We did it, we're finally cruising!" video. FTB also use a drone and have no end of fancy camera gear. The difference? Liz and Jamie are over 50, well-heeled and are fairly competent sailors.

Anyone can use a drone as long as you have the correct licence and if you are using it to make content that has a financial value then the licence needs to Ben commercial.  Doesn’t need matter if you’re 50 or 15. The CAA are cracking down on unlicensed YouTube drone operators since its an easy fine admission the proof is posted online for all to see. If anyone has the right licence and PLI then they are fine. If not expect CAA to catch up soon. Regs tightened in January and the delay due to covid and tracking down nomadic boats won’t keep the CAA away for long.

23 hours ago, big d said:

Anyone can use a drone as long as you have the correct licence and if you are using it to make content that has a financial value then the licence needs to Ben commercial.  Doesn’t need matter if you’re 50 or 15. The CAA are cracking down on unlicensed YouTube drone operators since its an easy fine admission the proof is posted online for all to see. If anyone has the right licence and PLI then they are fine. If not expect CAA to catch up soon. Regs tightened in January and the delay due to covid and tracking down nomadic boats won’t keep the CAA away for long.

Since Jan 2021 there is no authorisation required from the CAA for commercial use for drones up to 25kg.

All that’s required is an Operator ID and Flyer ID and to follow the other rules based on weight of the drone.