Second hand engines

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

A company at Melton Mowbray have '100s' of small plant engines

Used good quality Japanese engines. 

We have over 100 used small Diesel engines in stock.

Prices are:

2cyl from £400

3cyl from £800

4cyl from £1200  

Tractors, Dumpers, Diggers, RTV, Boats, Generators.

Engines started and run prior to despatch or collection and can be palletized and sent from £50 + vat

We also break compact tractors for parts from 10hp to 50hp including UK and imported tractors.

Used Diesel engines , Kubota, Iseki, Mitsubishi, Yanmar, Perkins, Ford | eBay

Image 1 -  Used Diesel engines , Kubota, Iseki, Mitsubishi, Yanmar, Perkins, Ford

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

I used to like visiting engine sheds when I was a boy, but the term had a different meaning back then.

Likewise, Swindon, brilliant and Eastleigh  shed too, the lines of ancient locos awaiting scrapping were fascinating.

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

Likewise, Swindon, brilliant and Eastleigh  shed too, the lines of ancient locos awaiting scrapping were fascinating.

My Dad had a way with a ten-bob note, which got him and me into a number of sheds when they were still fully working. From (long) memory, Darnall was my favourite, full of hulking great O4 freight engines.

Tracy I don't mean to be a bit off-topic here but wasn't Barry one of these few scrapyards that somehow took in the discarded locomotives but never really cut up many of them which eventually resulted in preservation groups 'rescuing' these intact locomotives giving to a good number of ex-Barry locomotives in steam lately? Or thats at least what I recall from the one of very few late 2000s uk heritage steam issues I had managed to read before.

2 hours ago, ruralsimple said:

Tracy I don't mean to be a bit off-topic here but wasn't Barry one of these few scrapyards that somehow took in the discarded locomotives but never really cut up many of them which eventually resulted in preservation groups 'rescuing' these intact locomotives giving to a good number of ex-Barry locomotives in steam lately? Or thats at least what I recall from the one of very few late 2000s uk heritage steam issues I had managed to read before.

You are substantially correct, they were all to be cut up but the preservation guys paid for and reserved many, but not enough. What saved them was the huge pile of wagons that were cut first as they were easier to scrap.

The heartbreak was to see the state of some of the finest engines ever built.  For instance, King and Castle locos with the frames cut in half where they stood, many Pacific locos with the bottom halves of the driving wheels cut off. Of course all had their coupling rods cut off so that they could be towed.

The story of Evening Star which was new then and just back from its first minor overhaul, is interesting.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

14 minutes ago, ruralsimple said:

One of my favourite railway books:

Barry: The History of the Yard and its Locomoti: Amazon.co.uk: Peter Brabham: 9780860936435: Books

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, ruralsimple said:

From memory, scrapyard owner Dai Woodham, realising he was on to a good thing, held back from cutting locomotives up to give preservationists a the chance to purchase them (I assume for more money than their scrap value). So his business acumen benefitted both him and the steam railways.

I think most paid no more than their scrap value, but the gain to Dai was that he did not have to do anything to get the money. No cutting costs, no separating the steel from iron and copper etc.

N

• Greenie 1

My neighbour and I have just bought from Ebay a secondhand lombardini? Engine and box for his boat. 835 squids with 198 hours on it  fully serviced for good measure. Trouble was it was in Edinburgh, however a 6 o'clock ststt with half past 4 finish sorted it. We saw videos of it running  do are confident that it's a bargain. Just mounting it up this week it's only 11 hp but will be ok for his use. In reality it was as cheap as chips and should last ken out and be very economical to run at 500cc

• Greenie 1

If it is the LDW 502 or 602 they have a rubber cam belt which also drives the water pump, ( pulley available in two sizes!)  Awith the usual problems if it lets go. It is easy to examine and the manual is on line. The crank pulley nut is left hand thread and done up to FT.

A new belt, tensioner and water pump is about 300 squid from Bryco.  You will need 3 hands, two torque wrenches and a special tool to tension it.

N

• Horror 1

3 hours ago, Athy said:

From memory, scrapyard owner Dai Woodham, realising he was on to a good thing, held back from cutting locomotives up to give preservationists a the chance to purchase them (I assume for more money than their scrap value). So his business acumen benefitted both him and the steam railways.

I had the privilege of meeting Dai Woodham towards the end of his life, and spoke to him about his empire - as you say he realised he was onto a good thing but it wasn't just money - I think he had one eye on his legacy, how he would be remembered. Of course he's remembered for having saved far more steam locos than anyone else, even if his part is "saving" was an act of omission rather than commission - to not cut them up.

In the later 80's as a student I walked around the last dozen or so locos, and a few years later as a young professional planner was part of the team that had to find the last few new homes so the scrapyard could be redeveloped. The National Heritage Memorial Fund got involved. 

That was a fun time in my career, we were (professionally) involved in setting up a heritage railway, and Lord McAlpine sent me to Cardiff Riverside before it was demolished to see if there was anything that he could retrieve for our proposals. I had my eye on a particularly ornate station clock, and when I mentioned it he pulled a face and admitted he'd fancied that for himself... 

6 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I had my eye on a particularly ornate station clock, and when I mentioned it he pulled a face and admitted he'd fancied that for himself... 

He was an astute man, as well as one of good taste

We're fans of the T.V. series 'Salvage Hunters', featuring another astute Welshman, antiques dealer Drew Pritchard. On his travels around old factories, stately homes etc. in search of stock, one of the things he's most keen to pick up is any double-sided station-type clock he finds, as they go for good money. (Another, more oddly, is ex-factory workbench stools, which go for three-figure sums).

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

If it is the LDW 502 or 602 they have a rubber cam belt which also drives the water pump, ( pulley available in two sizes!)  Awith the usual problems if it lets go. It is easy to examine and the manual is on line. The crank pulley nut is left hand thread and done up to FT.

A new belt, tensioner and water pump is about 300 squid from Bryco.  You will need 3 hands, two torque wrenches and a special tool to tension it.

N

I buy timing belts from Acorn industrial for my boat might have a look at the belt and see if they list it? At 198 hours I thi k the tensioner and pump will be ok?

15 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I buy timing belts from Acorn industrial for my boat might have a look at the belt and see if they list it? At 198 hours I thi k the tensioner and pump will be ok?

I expect the belt and tensioner will be fine.  You can check them easily enough when the cover  and belt are off.  IIRC both have rolling element bearings, and you can probably buy those fairly easily too.

My original belt had no markings and ICBA measuring it and counting teeth!  Bryco tell me there are two sizes of water pump pulley, so two different lengths of belt.  The parts manual is on line I think, so you may be able to get a Lombardini part no. and look for an equivalent from Gates or the like.

N

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

I expect the belt and tensioner will be fine.  You can check them easily enough when the cover  and belt are off.  IIRC both have rolling element bearings, and you can probably buy those fairly easily too.

My original belt had no markings and ICBA measuring it and counting teeth!  Bryco tell me there are two sizes of water pump pulley, so two different lengths of belt.  The parts manual is on line I think, so you may be able to get a Lombardini part no. and look for an equivalent from Gates or the like.

N

Its amazing the different quality of belts around, I have taken my direct drive electric motor out and fitted my lynch D135 pancake motor running 2.67 to 1 gearing via timing belt the first 2 belts it shredded (they were what Acorn had in stock) the third belt was capable of over 50 kw transmission and is very quiet and good.  I have bought a couple of spares at 11 squids each why not?

As for Ken's engine its aluminium with a hurth 2.05 to 1 forwards and 1.86 to 1 in reverse gearbox. We were very pleased with the price and it looks a proper piece of kit  far more modern than other offerings, overhead cam and unit injectors can't wait to get it fitted for him 

I have the 15hp version.  It thrashes round at 3000 rpm driving a 6 kVA generator. Noisy, but effective.

To get your mate one with a gearbox as well was a decent buy for the money.

N

• Greenie 1

43 minutes ago, BEngo said:

I have the 15hp version.  It thrashes round at 3000 rpm driving a 6 kVA generator. Noisy, but effective.

To get your mate one with a gearbox as well was a decent buy for the money.

N

I have a 6kw genny with a 2 cylinder Mitsubishi engine doing the same! 3000 rpm = noise,  thankfully solar renders it to very little running 

I think that around 150 locos were saved from the gas axe at Dai Woodhams scrap yard. Some have yet to be rebuilt like 7027 Thornbury Castle. After being moved around a few times and having had several changes of ownership it is now at Loughborough Great Central where restoration has started again.

• Happy 1