Sealing a crack in a porcelain hand basin?

Featured Posts

Having fitted a new tap and isolators to my shower room hand basin, I find the the “gunk” on the bottom of the sink had been sealing/hiding a crack. It wouldn’t matter except that it is in the bit where the overflow runs, so there is a slight leak from time to time. The gunk might have been Plumbers Mate, and may have worked, but it is horrible stuff. I‘m hoping there will be something where a thin bead will do the same job.

A Google brings up a few things that might work, but I am wondering what people here would recommend, ideally based on successful use.

Hope that makes sense.... any input welcomed

BTW: I’d buy a new sink, but I’m not convinced I could be certain of buying the right shape and size for the base, which is 490mm wide.

Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure

Used it all over the place on the boat - thinner than water it gets into the smallest crack and dries / seal in the air.

I've sealed window leaks, pipe leaks and all sorts of things.

image.jpeg.772ae0d282841f2ba2609bd9448c6f7d.jpeg

Multi-purpose liquid sealant that finds and fixes leaks and seals hairline cracks.
Compatible with all caravan building materials. Does not dissolve polystyrene.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Intrigued, can you cite one or two please? 

I have never regarded that ceramic ware could be properly repaired. 

The one we used to repair our ceramic shower tray was Surface Medic, a franchise.

I'm not sure which is the best method for sealing the crack but once you get that sorted I've found this sink paint is pretty good.  The enamel in mine was cracked so I just used a green scourer to give the enamel a key and wiped it out with white spirit before applying a couple of coats of the paint. It's made by a company called Fascinating Finishes.

Screenshot_2021-05-16-11-57-53-453_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

1 hour ago, pearley said:

The one we used to repair our ceramic shower tray was Surface Medic, a franchise.

Thank you, that is very interesting, not a company I have come across before. Information filed away, just in case!