Lock Surges

Porcupine

Featured Posts

This is a boring answer but it works in wide locks. Narrow ones are different. One line from the bow to a bollard controlled by the crew. One line from the stern to a bollard controlled by the steerer. Leave the centreline alone, the boat will surge to and fro unless you keep it Really Tight.  The boat will surge unless it is roped to the land in some way. Single handed? Just take it really steady. 

It can be worth having fenders on the side on the curved part of the hull as it goes round to the starn. The side of the counter. 

If you tie the bow to a bollard and get on with it a rubber fender in the right place will stop it banging. 

It depends what you want to do and how delicate you want to be. 

On 20/10/2023 at 19:18, GUMPY said:

Many of those on here wouldn't know what a holding back pin was even if they tripped over one.

And as for its use. ;)

This? From Waterways World 1997.

Horse boating 3.jpg

Whilst on the topic of Horse Boating I heard that Sue Day of the Horse Boat Society had passed away last weekend.

cheshire16wb.jpg

Edited by Ray T

On 15/05/2021 at 17:40, Porcupine said:

Hi all,

I am struggling to keep my boat steady when ascending in locks on the K&A. We are holding the boat on the centre line but when we let in water the rush is taking the boat across the lock. We are letting it in quite slowly. Any suggestions? Thanks, Matt. 

I've always been led to believe you let open the paddle on the opposite side to your boat, but I maybe wrong. 

I was told the flow of water into a lock is all to do with 'fluid dynamics.'

Never understood that concept having been asleep during physics classes. At the time the only fluid dynamics that concerned me was how many lagers I could consume in an evening! 

14 minutes ago, Ray T said:

From Waterways World 1997.

Horse boating 3.jpg

Whilst on the topic of Horse Boating I heard the Sue Day of the Horse Boat Society had passed away last weekend.

cheshire16wb.jpg

But that is something different to a holding back pin.

Sad news about Sue Day.

It sounds as though the OP is trying to get through the lock as fast as possible. Take it easy - no point in hurrying. Do it all slowly, open the paddles slightly until the water flow is established, then gently open a bit more until the paddles are fully open.

The whole point of cruising on the canal system is looking at the wonderful scenery as you pass it at 3 or 4 miles an hour (IMHO)