River Swale

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

39 minutes ago, Pluto said:

Looking at the archive material I copied some years ago, there seems to have been a court case about the Earl of Egremont's land flooding, which may have been one reason for the failure of the navigation to survive. The photo shows what is taken to be the wharf in Thirsk, and there is a second 1767 plan.

Thirsk.jpg

1767 Swale Navigation.jpg

Fascinating how these maps show different locations and even numbers of locks - this one (maybe earlier?) shows the original plan for a lock at Topcliffe Mill, upstream from that which was built, and does not show Leckby Lock, there is also only one lock shown on Bedale Beck.

The map you posted upthread, which also shows the Ure Navigation to Ripon and Cod Beck to Thirsk, marks six locks on the Swale plus two on Bedale Beck, but only four on Cod Beck (contradicting the printed surveyor's reports) and only two on the Ripon Canal. It certainly underlines the uncertainty and changes of plan.

Fun fact, a bit off topic: the last lock marked on the Ripon Canal is at "Kangel Cross" - this was one of the cathedral Sanctuary Crosses, the name is a contraction of Archangel ...

6 hours ago, Richard Carter said:

Michael Winterbottom, along the lines of "A Cock and Bull Story", his 2006 version of Tristram Shandy

I was an extra in that film did a scene over and over with Mark Williams.

3 hours ago, Pluto said:

Looking at the archive material I copied some years ago, there seems to have been a court case about the Earl of Egremont's land flooding, which may have been one reason for the failure of the navigation to survive. The photo shows what is taken to be the wharf in Thirsk, and there is a second 1767 plan.

Thirsk.jpg

1767 Swale Navigation.jpg

That's a very useful map it show lock cuts.

8 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

I was an extra in that film did a scene over and over with Mark Williams.

Excellent - we need you for the filming of the story of the Swale Navigation, any ideas for a title?

I only "discovered" the Tristram Shandy film recently, but really enjoyed it

8 minutes ago, buccaneer66 said:

That's a very useful map it show lock cuts.

... but not always the ones which were originally planned or actually built ...

2 minutes ago, Richard Carter said:

.. but not always the ones which were originally planned or actually built ...

But does give a pointer where to look on the old OS maps.

I've got to add this to canalmaponline so need to be as accurate as possible.

Edited by buccaneer66

Collating the information in the source material kindly posted by @Pluto and @matty40s for the the lock sites on the Swale and Bedale Beck (sorry, didn't mean to shout ... ?

873224857_SwaleLocks.jpg.45e64dab40b98f70e765de0bb885a43e.jpg

It looks as though after Grundy's report a few things were changed when work started:

1. Grundy's Lock B planned for Thornton Br. replaced by locks at Helperby and Leckby

2. Topcliffe Lock moved downstream from the original site at Topcliffe Mill

3. Grundy's Lock E moved to the next bend downstream

Does anyone know whether Lewty's map was perhaps associated with the second, unsuccessful bid to raise funds after Topcliffe lock was completed and work at Leckby had begun?