i give in !!

crosser

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

When we sold ours a few years ago we had it on Facebook, apolloduck and here. 3 viewings, 1 from here and 2 from apolloduck. Had 2 offers, both from apolloduck and both around the asking price, 1 subject to survey and 1 without. 

Sold  within a couple weeks with no hassle at all. Would advise anyone selling to consider apolloduck as main site for listing on. Didn't get any real time wasting enquires from there unlike Facebook! Most boats including most brokers seem to get listed on there, Facebook seems to be full of chancers!

I can believe it. 

The problem with facebook, is that random scrollers can quite easily happen upon the advert.  These people are pretty much always gonna be timewasters.

On the Duck, anyone looking is much more likely to be a genuine buyer.

17 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

My classic Citroen of choice would be an H van. Every time I see one restored and converted selling teas and coffees I get a pang of jealousy.

If I wasn't so 'big boned' I'd love one as a camper van.

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/vital-stats/citroen-h-van-1947-1981/

There are (or were last time I went there in late 2019) two parked in the forecourt of Cambridge station selling hot drinks and snacks. On close examinaition, one had no driving position. The bloke operating it confirmed that it was a replica.

When I used to work in Normandy in the 1980s there was one which always appeared at the local market. Its body had been sliced in half lengthways and it was a travelling rotisserie selling freshly-barbecued whole chickens. It smelled glorious, but I never fathomed out how it was transported there as I think it had only left-hand-side wheels. 

17 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

My classic Citroen of choice would be an H van. Every time I see one restored and converted selling teas and coffees I get a pang of jealousy.

If I wasn't so 'big boned' I'd love one as a camper van.

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/vital-stats/citroen-h-van-1947-1981/

Citroen DS21 Décapotable for me please.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, Athy said:

Back shelf? That must have been the top-of-the-range model.

They were remarkable cars which inspired great affection. It is one of the sadnesses of visits to modern-day France (when permitted) that their cheery grey presence is now rarely seen on the roads. (Yes I know that they later came in many colours, even 2-tone, but to me the quintessential deuche is grey).

Many moons ago we were camping at a site in Welsh Wales. We saw this 2CV arriving pulling a trailer tent behind it. To get to the pitches there was a slight incline. It tried and tried but couldn’t make it up the incline. We unhitched it and I  pulled it to its destination.(with our car!) Seeing this little car tugging a larger trailer was a lovely combination.

And in similar vein...

Some years ago we were on holiday in the Dordogne and we kept seeing Morris Minors and Travellers. We pulled up into a village car park and there were two or three of them. So I commented to the driver of one of them that there seemed to be a lot about. "Oh yes", he said, "It's the annual Owner's Club outing. We are all staying on a campsite in the next village. The trouble is, the campsite owner thought Morris Minor owners would all be retired vicars and Miss Marples..." . At this point I realised all the male drivers and passengers I had seen had been bearded beer-bellied 30-40-50 somethings, and the women all seemed to be wearing hippy dress.  Apparently they had drunk the campsite bar dry on the first night!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

In the 70's I had a flirtation with Bond Minicars, and went camping often in them. We had booked in to a camp site in Mid Wales and upon arrival found the access was slightly uphill with a cart track. Front wheel drive of a 197cc engine on a raised grass strip in the middle of a track didn't really work. Another time, travelling along the coast road from Portland to Lyme Regis we followed a stone lorry , and on one steep hill when he had changed down for the tenth time, we had to bale out as we couldn't go that slow. Turned round, back to the bottom and started again unimpeded.

4 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Front wheel drive of a 197cc engine on a raised grass strip in the middle of a track didn't really work.

You would probably have been better going up in reverse - low gear ratio and more weight on the front driving wheel.

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

You would probably have been better going up in reverse - low gear ratio and more weight on the front driving wheel.

This was a Mk C, the reversing Ciba control box didn't appear until the MkF., and then they were very unreliable. Reverse was obtained by reversing the cycle of the 2 stroke engine. As the front wheel could be turned virtually 90o, reverse wasn't really a necessity as you could turn withn the diagonal length of the car. If you got really stuck, at about 6cwt two people could easily move it by hand with a bit of lifting in the corners.

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

This was a Mk C, the reversing Ciba control box didn't appear until the MkF., and then they were very unreliable. Reverse was obtained by reversing the cycle of the 2 stroke engine. As the front wheel could be turned virtually 90o, reverse wasn't really a necessity as you could turn withn the diagonal length of the car. If you got really stuck, at about 6cwt two people could easily move it by hand with a bit of lifting in the corners.

Had a Messerschmit KR 200 with the same method,ie the engine was stopped and re started backwards.

Think I only did it once as the engine was a bit reluctant to re start when halfway through a three point turn.

Found it more convienient to go round.

35 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Had a Messerschmit KR 200 with the same method,ie the engine was stopped and re started backwards.

Think I only did it once as the engine was a bit reluctant to re start when halfway through a three point turn.

Found it more convienient to go round.

I bet you wish you still had it!!

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I bet you wish you still had it!!

Yes,and my BSA Rocket Gold Star,and my two Velocette Venoms,and my BSA B31,and my Triumph T100 Bathtub, and my Norton Commando and many others that I can't remember.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes,and my BSA Rocket Gold Star,and my two Velocette Venoms,and my BSA B31,and my Triumph T100 Bathtub, and my Norton Commando and many others that I can't remember.

Me too :(

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Hubby had a rocket gold star that I used to ride on motorways as I couldn't go round corners with it.

• Greenie 1