i give in !!

crosser

Featured Posts

Totally different experience for us, I dreaded selling Innisfree, had a few phone enquiries and one viewing, no one seemed to understand just what I'd put into fitting out and the level of equipment. One more call and the buyer said he liked me and that was just on the sound of my voice! He visited for a few hours, had some lunch with us, said he didn't want a survey done, paid in 3 instalments and sailed away.

His trust was well founded, he had the bargain of the century ?

oh i am gutted to be selling my boat but i only sold him as this other boat came up at a price i couldnt refuse otherwise i wouldny have sold...  it was a spur of the moment thing...  i knew my boat inside out and rebuilt engine etc etc...    its strange how you can go through so many idiots then just that perfect buyer comes along...

After reading Crosser's post about selling his boat on Facebook and not being prepared to pay e bay's high fees to sell a cheap boat,I advertised it on Facebook.

To my surprise there were some seventeen queries within a couple of days.

The first viewing was a couple who had had a boat before,and knew what they were looking at.He was a big bloke and it soon became obvious that my boat was too small for him and his wife.He was full of praise for my boat but in his opinion would only sell to an experienced boater,as I have made it a "boater's boat"by removing unecessary stuff (cockpit seats,large bits of upholstery etc) and fitted what I consider essential,(heater,jerrycan rack,tv,solar panel,new rubbing strip etc.)

Most of the queries I suspect have come from inexperienced boaters and if the chap who viewed is correct,new boaters want to see nice fittings,curtains etc.and as my boat is rather spartan inside I may have difficulty selling it on Facebook.

From some of the questions I have received,it is fairly obvious that they know nothing at all about boats.

Ah well,there is always Gumtree.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

After reading Crosser's post about selling his boat on Facebook and not being prepared to pay e bay's high fees to sell a cheap boat,I advertised it on Facebook.

The first viewing was a couple who had had a boat before,and knew what they were looking at.He was a big bloke and it soon became obvious that my boat was too small for him and his wife.He was full of praise for my boat but in his opinion would only sell to an experienced boater,as I have made it a "boater's boat"by removing unecessary stuff (cockpit seats,large bits of upholstery etc) and fitted what I consider essential,(heater,jerrycan rack,tv,solar panel,new rubbing strip etc.)

Most of the queries I suspect have come from inexperienced boaters and if the chap who viewed is correct,new boaters want to see nice fittings,curtains etc.and as my boat is rather spartan inside I may have difficulty selling it on Facebook.

From some of the questions I have received,it is fairly obvious that they know nothing at all about boats.

Give it a London whitewash?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

This is all very true.

I follow some facebook narrowboat selling groups, out of curiousity.  Some of the utter tat you see on there beggars belief.  Of course, they all have nice cushions with 'live, laugh, love' on them.  And pot plants. And clean flowery curtains.  And upcycled taps.  But do they have any insulation?  Or heating?  Or a working toilet?  Or a sensible way of charging batteries?  Frequently the answer is no to all of these, and yet they're a 'perfect liveaboard' and will be asking over £40k.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

This is all very true.

I follow some facebook narrowboat selling groups, out of curiousity.  Some of the utter tat you see on there beggars belief.  Of course, they all have nice cushions with 'live, laugh, love' on them.  And pot plants. And clean flowery curtains.  And upcycled taps.  But do they have any insulation?  Or heating?  Or a working toilet?  Or a sensible way of charging batteries?  Frequently the answer is no to all of these, and yet they're a 'perfect liveaboard' and will be asking over £40k.

Then there are the 'Pot' plants, of which the owners of some of these boats are reeking of it as are the boats

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Ran into some of them dumped in the BCN this week

It's not uncommon all over the place, waste from small scale and large scale production, under lights in a rented room somewhere, grow a crop and move on

On 15/05/2021 at 12:17, Laurie Booth I.S.M. said:

I sold my Citroen 2CV with a coke can as an exhaust, the man who bought the car said the can was over engineered compared to the rest of the car.

:)

That is very unfair - one of my biggest regrets was selling my 2CVs . . .

37 minutes ago, NB Alnwick said:

That is very unfair - one of my biggest regrets was selling my 2CVs . . .

They were quite unique.Frequently driven by a motheaten scoolteacher with a pile of marking on the back shelf.

On 17/05/2021 at 09:05, Mad Harold said:

Ran out of patience with all the questions received on Facebook.

Withdrew my ad and sent apologies to everyone who responded.

My little boat is pretty much the same as any other when cruising,in that you stand at the helm and watch the scenery drifting by.

However the cooking and sleeping facilities leave a bit to be desired.

As I have lived with my boat's shortcomings for two years,I will live with them a bit longer.

A bigger cruiser would be nice,but perhaps next year.

I will take it to a broker next time I decide to sell it!

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

They were quite unique. Frequently driven by a motheaten schoolteacher with a pile of marking on the back shelf.

Back shelf? That must have been the top-of-the-range model.

They were remarkable cars which inspired great affection. It is one of the sadnesses of visits to modern-day France (when permitted) that their cheery grey presence is now rarely seen on the roads. (Yes I know that they later came in many colours, even 2-tone, but to me the quintessential deuche is grey).

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

They were remarkable cars which inspired great affection. It is one of the sadnesses of visits to modern-day France (when permitted) that their cheery grey presence is now rarely seen on the roads. (Yes I know that they later came in many colours, even 2-tone, but to me the quintessential deuche is grey).

I always wanted the Citroen Traction Avante, still lots about at enthusiasts gatherings. Friend had one years ago, took it back to bare metal and painted it bright red. Weeks of hard work, looked better before he started, some things are just supposed to be painted black (or grey)

49 minutes ago, Athy said:

When looking at new cars in 1964, with a limited budget, the best value for money recommendation in one motoring magazine put the Citroen Dyanne (2CV De-Luxe)  joint top with the Skoda Estelle . The Citroen beat the Skoda on economy and ventilation. I bought neither as even the £300-£400 was way above my means.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

When looking at new cars in 1964, with a limited budget, the best value for money recommendation in one motoring magazine put the Citroen Dyanne (2CV De-Luxe)  joint top with the Skoda Estelle . The Citroen beat the Skoda on economy and ventilation. I bought neither as even the £300-£400 was way above my means.

I remember the Dyane - it was an update which was a sort of 2CV without the soul. I think (though I haven't checked) that it was intended to replace the 2CV, but that the deuche remained in production after the Dyane had been discontinued.

9 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

My classic Citroen of choice would be an H van. Every time I see one restored and converted selling teas and coffees I get a pang of jealousy.

If I wasn't so 'big boned' I'd love one as a camper van.

https://www.heritagecarinsurance.co.uk/vital-stats/citroen-h-van-1947-1981/

Trouble is most of them seem to move from venue to venue on trailers, chap down the road brought one home from France a few years back

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Trouble is most of them seem to move from venue to venue on trailers, chap down the road brought one home from France a few years back

The ones we see at French markets trundle (that being the operative word) there under their own steam.

On 17/05/2021 at 17:37, Mad Harold said:

They were quite unique.Frequently driven by a motheaten scoolteacher with a pile of marking on the back shelf.

Depends on the subject they teach does it not? At my old school only the RE teachers drove 2CV's

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

That was clever of them! The Estelle wasn't introduced until 1976. The Skoda was probably a 1100MB.

35 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

That was clever of them! The Estelle wasn't introduced until 1976. The Skoda was probably a 1100MB.

I thought Estelle was it's generic name, but you are right. They were the cars that all the jokes were aimed at. Wasn't it basically the Renault Dauphin?

I bought a 130 in 1989, and was reasonably impressed with it. I later swapped it part ex for a Rapid R(I think it was) which was a much better car unless you were 6' 4". It carried me for 95K miles. They then started to get expensive for what they were, and still are for my mind.

8 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Ran out of patience with all the questions received on Facebook.

Withdrew my ad and sent apologies to everyone who responded.

My little boat is pretty much the same as any other when cruising,in that you stand at the helm and watch the scenery drifting by.

However the cooking and sleeping facilities leave a bit to be desired.

As I have lived with my boat's shortcomings for two years,I will live with them a bit longer.

A bigger cruiser would be nice,but perhaps next year.

I will take it to a broker next time I decide to sell it!

When we sold ours a few years ago we had it on Facebook, apolloduck and here. 3 viewings, 1 from here and 2 from apolloduck. Had 2 offers, both from apolloduck and both around the asking price, 1 subject to survey and 1 without. 

Sold  within a couple weeks with no hassle at all. Would advise anyone selling to consider apolloduck as main site for listing on. Didn't get any real time wasting enquires from there unlike Facebook! Most boats including most brokers seem to get listed on there, Facebook seems to be full of chancers!

• Happy 1