River Soar - Advice

Midnight

Featured Posts

So retired at last we're off on our first long term cruise. Been pushing heavy water up the Trent and now sitting at Cranfleet. We really would like to do the Soar through Leicester but with all the predicted rain and not knowing the river not too sure if it's a good idea. Any advice on safe places and not so safe places in a flood would be most appreciated.

Edited by Midnight

45 minutes ago, Midnight said:

So retired at last we're off on our first long term cruise. Been pushing heavy water up the Trent and now sitting at Cranfleet. We really would like to do the Soar through Leicester but with all the predicted rain and not knowing the river not too sure if it's a good idea. Any advice on safe places and not so safe places in a flood would be most appreciated.

Above locks and in lock cuts are ok, as long as the boat is not unattended. Above Kegworth, Zouch cut, Loughborough, Barrow cut, above Junction lock, the pontoons in Leicester. Once you get up King's lock you're back on canal and home safe.

MP. 

2 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Above locks and in lock cuts are ok, as long as the boat is not unattended. Above Kegworth, Zouch cut, Loughborough, Barrow cut, above Junction lock, the pontoons in Leicester. Once you get up King's lock you're back on canal and home safe.

MP. 

Loughborough is very good,with the level through the town largely protected by Pillings Flood Lock.Good service block at the Wharf,lots of options for 14 day moorings and several good pubs in town,my favourite (for it's beer) being the Organ Grinder.It's where I am now.

Edited by Quaffer
  • Greenie 1

The soar is not currently high at all, though of course that can change quite quickly. Plan to do hops between more stable mooring places, so Kegworth, zouch, anywhere between bishops meadow lock and pillings flood lock, (Loughborough is a decent town for shops, pubs, laundrette and market on thursday/Saturday.  Services at the basin but personally I would then go under chain Bridge and moor on the wide towpath stretch, rather than the basin. From there , there is a cut through to aodi, b&q etc. Nice very peaceful mooring just outside Loughborough,  just before miloars Bridge. Above Barrow deep, above Mountsorrel lock (can flood), Sileby has a boatyard and services, but not a place to be in flood. Then above junction lock, another small boatyard and chandlery as you turn off the wreake towards syston. Moorings by watermead are fine , anywhere along that stretch to the weir. Birstall has moorings near the village,  though I've heard there have been some hassles there, never experienced a problem myself,  pubs shops, takeaways. Then off you head to Leicester with 2 secure mooring options.

When the river comes up it soon drops again. Lived on it some 16 years, only ever had one major "eeeek" moment.  

Beautiful river. 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 14/05/2021 at 18:16, Midnight said:

Thank you good people we are currently above Zouch Lock so will take it as it comes, short hops if it rains as predicted. First time ever we are not on a mission - feels good!

Looking at what's coming later and on Sunday, either sit tight until midweek, or if the floodgates are still open, try a quick dash to Loughborough.

We are at Foxton today. The Soar was wonderful and mostly in the green. For some reason it was red at Mountsorrel so we had to stay awhile and take refuge in the Waterside Inn. Best pint of Everards Tiger and a menu to die for. 

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

We are at Foxton today. The Soar was wonderful and mostly in the green. For some reason it was red at Mountsorrel so we had to stay awhile and take refuge in the Waterside Inn. Best pint of Everards Tiger and a menu to die for. 

Glad you enjoyed it, sorry I missed you passing us, have kept a look out but we must have been away from the boat. Locks are amber/red today north of Leicester. 

• Greenie 1