Explains my electrical system which is like no other

Featured Posts

That is good to know and I hope it solves the problems. Did Kevin take those dud batteries out and bypass them so the front batteries charge at a decent voltage.

A lesson many boaters could learn from this is that high charging current (like into the duff batteries that were almost certainly shorting out) will reduce the charging voltage quite apart from any volt drop issues. In fact, it was probably the high current   flowing through the duff batteries that caused such a high loss of volts.

• Greenie 1

On 17/05/2021 at 17:50, restlessnomad said:

athy's greenies must be before he became mod.

That's correct. moddies can't get greenoes, so it's some five years since I last got one.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

SORTED

problem identified.

In the deepest recesses of the boat lurked two f****** batteries linked by hidden passages to my nice new agms.

They boiled, they heated, they expelled hydrogen sulphide, and they were determined not to give in.

My new batteries are on overnight charge, time will tell, are they dead or alive  ?

Thank you to those who kept the faith, and who contributed positively, you know who you are.

Jo

That's electrifying news.

59 minutes ago, LadyG said:

SORTED

problem identified.

In the deepest recesses of the boat lurked two f****** batteries linked by hidden passages to my nice new agms.

They boiled, they heated, they expelled hydrogen sulphide, and they were determined not to give in.

My new batteries are on overnight charge, time will tell, are they dead or alive  ?

Thank you to those who kept the faith, and who contributed positively, you know who you are.

Hidden where Jo?

Must either have no sense of smell or eat a lot of eggs......................................................................................................................................How can you miss 2 batteries in a 50ft boat that you live on, do you never clean?

That is one very unusual boat. Four batteries at the bow and three at the stern that as I read it seem to be linked into one large bank in a very unconventional way.

LadyG. I think that if you can, it might be a good idea to document how the batteries and those isolators are connected and how the charging is done because in the future it is likely to confuse anyone you ask to look at it.

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is one very unusual boat. Four batteries at the bow and three at the stern that as I read it seem to be linked into one large bank in a very unconventional way.

LadyG. I think that if you can, it might be a good idea to document how the batteries and those isolators are connected and how the charging is done because in the future it is likely to confuse anyone you ask to look at it.

Yes, that in in hand, 

I won't be asking anyone other than Kevin Knight if I can help it. ?

There were four batteries in the bow and four in the stern plus the starter, and the charging is through the starter battery (in layman's terms). 

Now we have two in the bow and three in the stern plus starter. 

There is a black box under the sink. I'm not going there, it's all too much........ 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

It is surprising what people will do, our boat had 6 leisure batteries and a starter with 5 isolators between them that allowed different combinations of the batteries to be joined together. I could never quite work out why so had all battery wiring removed and rewired as a single bank of 6 with one isolator and a starter with an isolator. I still haven't worked out why the previous owner installed two inverters but I've just left one switched off as a spare.

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

I won't be asking anyone other than Kevin Knight if I can help it. ?

ah!  the valiant chivalrous knight comes to the rescue of the confused and hapless young maiden.    :cheers:   :clapping: 

PS : is Lady G's electrical saviour actually Sir KK ?

On 19/05/2021 at 15:54, LadyG said:

In the bow. 

How can all these electricians miss these extra batteries then you suddenly find them after all these problems. How did everyone miss them?? 4x batteries in the bow takes up a big space? 

Edited by PD1964

Are we the only ones who delve into any new purchase, be it a boat, car or van and find out where everything is and what it does? 

I struggle to see how you can live on a boat for two years and not have at least looked in every nook and cranny of it by now :unsure:

18 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

How can all these electricians miss these extra batteries then you suddenly find them after all these problems. How did everyone miss them?? 4x batteries in the bow takes up a big space? 

I suspect access to the bow space is on one side and those extra batteries were on the other so unless you got your head right into the void you could not see them.

I do have a degree of sympathy for them because if they were hidden who expects a boat to have four batteries in the bow. Come to that, who expects one to have three isolators on one busbar plus another at the front. Its seems a very idiosyncratic electrical system

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect access to the bow space is on one side and those extra batteries were on the other so unless you got your head right into the void you could not see them.

I do have a degree of sympathy for them because if they were hidden who expects a boat to have four batteries in the bow. Come to that, who expects one to have three isolators on one busbar plus another at the front. Its seems a very idiosyncratic electrical system

I’m sure the previous owner may disagree, 

As NG says you look everywhere when you buy a boat especially in lockers. Your telling me that the nine previous electricians never stuck their head in to investigate? I find that hard to fathom.

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

As NG says you look everywhere when you buy a boat especially in lockers. Your telling me that the nine previous electricians never stuck their head in to investigate? I find that hard to fathom.

exactly.   caveat emptor applies, or should do for anyone of average intelligence, although I can accept that a genius (genia in this case?) might not feel the need to .................... (NOT !!).

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

exactly.   caveat emptor applies, or should do for anyone of average intelligence, although I can accept that a genius (genia in this case?) might not feel the need to .................... (NOT !!).

Its more  " Cavity Emptier "  Perhaps they couldn't find them because they were completely flat?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

He may well but there would seem to be much simpler and more conventional way of doing things.

It fine for NC to say that, she is not the wrong side of 70 judging by when they passed me at speed on the Trent and I doubt she has much in the way of health and/or movement difficulties. Both Lady G and myself seem to be of a similar age so I can emphasise with her and understand why she did not feel able to get into the front compartment.

Who said anything about the batteries being in lockers. More likely behind a panel. I don't now the boat so from your comment I assume that you know it in detail, so I would be interested in seeing a sketch that shows why you have no sympathy with those other electricians. You will note I said "some sympathy". Its not a lot but I do have some.

Its all too easy for people not fully aware of all the aspects of something to be critical.

• Greenie 3