Welding diesel tank

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, waterworks said:

You cannot safely weld a Diesel tank unless it's been properly purged, no serious welder would even think of it, it's totally against H&S. 

H&S be damned, its done every day in every yard. Done it for years on full tanks without a care but on empty or partially empty tanks I shoot them full of CO2 first.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

H&S be damned, its done every day in every yard. Done it for years on full tanks without a care but on empty or partially empty tanks I shoot them full of CO2 first.

But many yards are equally happy to weld a half empty tank too.

On 19/05/2021 at 11:32, dmr said:

I wanted a BSP boss welded to the top of the tank to achieve this, so this had to be done above the fuel level. Whilst in the drydock at a reputable yard I asked if they would do this.

When I wanted to do exactly this I used an Essex fitting.  No welding needed and a successful job.

19 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

" H&S be damned" 

Why don't you publish that as your business motto and see how far you get ?

4 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

When I wanted to do exactly this I used an Essex fitting.  No welding needed and a successful job.

I did think about that, Ive never used one so would like to have a go. My concern was that I was not keen to use a hole saw on the top of the diesel tank as they produce quite fine particles whilst a good show drill bit used slowly produces bigger lumps that should be less destructive if not all removed.

After drilling the hole I spent ages fishing with a magnet and a lot of metal bits came out, I suspect some was in there since the boat was built.

if you blow holes ,then the white hot drops will fill the tank with flammable fumes and sometimes even set fire to the diesel......A couple of years ago a welder was killed here ,the tank supposedly filled to the top .....but apparently not.....Its also claimed that its impossible to blow holes in a tank below the diesel level.....the fuel cools the plate .

It's basic knowledge in the business that you don't weld tanks, vessels or drums without the proper procedures to make it safe. I'm sure small boat repair yards do it as the industry is totally unregulated, half the welders around the canals aren't even qualified, but no serious engineering firm would even consider it, H&S would go ape.