Another new electrician :(

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Maybe life on a boat isn’t for her and not so easy and joyous as she thought.

The good lady has repeatedly said that she never wanted a boat, and doesn't want to be a boater and doesn't want to be with people.

She sold her flat to get away from people and the city, and thought the boat would be a way of achieving it.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The good lady has repeatedly said that she never wanted a boat, and doesn't want to be a boater and doesn't want to be with people.

She sold her flat to get away from people and the city, and thought the boat would be a way of achieving it.

One has to wonder why she is heading for Lincoln on a boat in that case :unsure:

16 minutes ago, MrsM said:

The marina is pretty quiet and safe in terms of traffic. If you get a hookup for a night or two you will be able to get on charge. 

It would have worked prior to electrician 5 and a half removing the inverter charger which charged the batteries....

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

DAB of course, it only worked sometimes, then died.

DAB can be quite variable. When first introduced a neighbour was given a DAB radio by her children. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a signal in either her house or ours. More recently I was given  DAB set by one of my daughters and it worked. The set kind of works on the boat - sometimes switching lights on can cause it to fail, sometimes it needs moving to a different position or reorientating. 

21 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

DAB can be quite variable. When first introduced a neighbour was given a DAB radio by her children. Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a signal in either her house or ours. More recently I was given  DAB set by one of my daughters and it worked. The set kind of works on the boat - sometimes switching lights on can cause it to fail, sometimes it needs moving to a different position or reorientating. 

DAB signal is very hit and miss. We have  DAB radio at home that will pick up certain channels in one room but move it to another and it won't, move it back and all is fine again.

The van has a DAB radio but it is next to useless when the van is on the move. We stick to FM while travelling and then tune the DAB when we have parked up for the night.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

DAB signal is very hit and miss. We have  DAB radio at home that will pick up certain channels in one room but move it to another and it won't, move it back and all is fine again.

The van has a DAB radio but it is next to useless when the van is on the move. We stick to FM while travelling and then tune the DAB when we have parked up for the night.

When you say van I assume it's a motorhome. The converters are notorious for either covering the original aerial or otherwise blinding it to a signal. Especially so if the motorhome has an extension over the cab.

We've had DAB only on board for 14 years with no real problems anywhere. We use a car DAB stereo with external magmount antenna, originally a Halfords one but found that water penetrated them after a year or so. So made my own magmount which works fine.

There is no substitute for a proper external antenna. Splitters and glass mount ones may work fine in strong signal areas but not in poorer areas.

Edited by pearley

36 minutes ago, pearley said:

When you say van I assume it's a motorhome. The converters are notorious for either covering the original aerial or otherwise blinding it to a signal. Especially so if the motorhome has an extension over the cab.

We've had DAB only on board for 14 years with no real problems anywhere. We use a car DAB stereo with external magmount antenna, originally a Halfords one but found that water penetrated them after a year or so. So made my own magmount which works fine.

There is no substitute for a proper external antenna. Splitters and glass mount ones may work fine in strong signal areas but not in poorer areas.

Yes it's a motorhome and you could well be right. There is some over cab bodywork.

To be honest we will probably just live with it as it is and listen to the FM radio or bluetooth our music to it whilst travelling.

6 hours ago, MrsM said:

The marina is pretty quiet and safe in terms of traffic. If you get a hookup for a night or two you will be able to get on charge. 

Unfortunately an electrician told me I had a big invertor next to my new 375 amp Victron, and we agreed he could remove it, it was sold as an invertor, but it was an inverter charger, so now I can't charge bow batteries via shoreline like normal people do. 

I should have mentioned, in case I have not that Kev  turned out to be very hands on, he turned up as promised, fitted the car aerial on the rear sliding hatch, it looks great, and works.

He sorted all the switches and explained how the power from the rear moves down to the bow batteries, with nearby isolators btw. 

He explained how to work the radio, and how to use it to charge my phone! I think he realises that I don't do Spotify or dongles etc. 

He would not send me another invoice, but I insisted he took some cash, and a pint of real ale in a can (Tesco express) nearby. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

42 minutes ago, Chagall said:

?  ....propose before you lose him!  

Next problem, ring Kev before you bother here.  ...please. 

He's happily married with a ready made family of grandchildren, he'll never be rich, but he sems to like dabbling in various businesses, his car is something weird, think Grunge Allegro, that is his main business I think: customising cars and sorting classic cars, all a but of a mix. Boats are just a diversion.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

He's happily married with a ready made family of grandchildren, he'll never be rich, but he sems to like dabbling in various businesses, his car is something weird, think Grunge Allegro, that is his main business I think: customising cars and sorting classic cars, all a but of a mix. Boats are just a diversion.

Im sorry you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.

Really pleased you have things sorted for now. Do you have a better understanding of your system so that you can answer Tony's questions next time you have an issue, for example with your new bow batteries? While you are in the area can Kev (who sounds like an absolute gem) help you with this? Paying for half a day of his time would be money very well spent imho. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Chagall said:

Wow, it's a good job she's not gay or black (or both), you could be in real trouble

5 minutes ago, Chagall said:

I don’t think anyone on here gives a damn about her problems anymore, as she seams totally incompetent with anything to do with her boat, doesn’t want to listen to any advice as these problems have been going on for over a year and seams incapable of doing anything on the boat and anything for herself. Sad to say but with every post she writes this becomes more apparent.

• Greenie 1