Another new electrician :(

Featured Posts

I don't give up too easy but you don't make it easy by not replying to people,  who have knowledge and who are trying to help you, with the information they have requested that might actually help you. Are you asking for help and information or just venting off.

I'm not an expert on anything  boaty and I'm sure I will be on here asking for advice on things at some point. As a leisure boater, I won't always 

have the requested pictures or information at hand immediately but I will recognise people replying to help and respond accordingly, with the respect they deserve for their time, effort and consideration. 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Ianws said:

I won't always have the requested pictures or information at hand immediately but I will recognise people replying to help and respond accordingly, with the respect they deserve for their time, effort and consideration. 

And you'll receive accurate and timely help.  Funny how that works, isn't it ...

OK, the front batteries , the brand new ones are now down to 10.6, I have no idea where  the power has gone, the only thing that was on overnight was the Victron invertor but nothing on it,  and the Webasto, which it seems has its own isolator, not sure how much it ran last night I was asleep. 

I had  cabin lights on in the bedroom, and it seemed to be to be very bright, is that even possible with LED?

Is there a massive short somewhere? Does this tie in with the fact that the two leisure battery banks are now not isolating. I will try to get the electrician to get readings, and write them down , presumably one reading per battery, I don't know where else readings should be taken. All the batteries are fairly inaccesible and I don't know if my multimeter has a battery in it, or know how to work it.

I checked that the engine would start and it did, drawing 30 amps, I have seen it drawing more btw. I turned it off in in case of wakening neighbours and turned  off everything, there is a fourth isolator which turned off Webasto.

I can't get my tablet to connect to internet, and I'm not sure if I can keep charging my laptop, which is low in power. 

Things are desperate, I have little faith in this electrician, but there is no other, available, the Burton Waters Marina guy is £70 per hour, and only works Mon and Tuesday.

I have no idea how to take photos and put them on here, I'l phone the electrician, ask him to to do it, when or if he arrives. I suspect I wont be able to use my inveter to charge the laptop for much longer.

There is a three shop in Lincoln which should discover why I can't get tablet to connect to internet. Message from Three says I have used all my data allowance, wont refresh 6th June. But I have unlimited data on anither Three contract, so surely the tablet should work off that?

I'm starting a new post, about battery problem first all I need to know how to upload photos, I will answer all questions except how big are the cables? I can see some cables, fat ones attach to batteries and to busbar. Others are slimmer and I think they go from stern to bow.

I have just learned how to take photos on my phone, it seems all those apps I have are available if I swipe phone in a vertical direction, how is one supposed to know these things?

There is no manual.

Edited by LadyG

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

Yes there are two speakers in the front, but I'd like one , or two ,( there is wiring for two), but little space in the engine room, 

I have no reason to think I have abused my new batteries, and the old ones had a long life, I just wanted the best for my bucks, so I'd never have to replace them, I was working to an eight year plan, but C has blown all that cc and occasional shorepower to bits,

You have just said in another topic that your new batteries are at 10.4V. That is battery abuse and they won't last long if you keep treating them like that!!

Just to add the expensive batteries you wanted, you can kill them just as quick as cheap batteries. With the way you are abusing them, I think cheap batteries were the way to go for you.

If you have your inverter on have you left an immersion heater or something similar turned on?

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

There is no manual.

Your brand of phone should have a site. First try there, to locate and download a manual for your phone. Or, try search - make/model/ instruction manual; this may turn up a downloadable source. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You have just said in another topic that your new batteries are at 10.4V. That is battery abuse and they won't last long if you keep treating them like that!!

Just to add the expensive batteries you wanted, you can kill them just as quick as cheap batteries. With the way you are abusing them, I think cheap batteries were the way to go for you.

If you have your inverter on have you left an immersion heater or something similar turned on?

I know that they should not be at 10.4 why do you think I am so concerned?

Just now, LadyG said:

Oh, right, immersion, I did notice watervis hot, that might be it!!!!!!!((

• Horror 1

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Oh, right, immersion, I did notice watervis hot, that might be it!!!!!!!((

Its got to be the drink, no sober person is so stupid. Hope all the batteries go flat soon then we can have some peace.

16 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its got to be the drink, no sober person is so stupid. Hope all the batteries go flat soon then we can have some peace.

What are you on about, there is no 'immersion switch' but the water is  hot, but that is to be expected if the fire is on or the engine is on, and either one of these is on every day, every single day, so I never run out of hot water. 

I have found a fuse which is labeled heater, and pulled it, now found a standard house switch which says immersion, it was in the standard On position, but no light in the standard illuminating switch.

The latest electrician mentioned a draw on the power, but he put it down to the 375amp Victron, explaining that all invertors draw power, but could not quantify.

Turned Off the immersion, and pulled a 15amp fuse vaugely labelled heater. 

I am going out to check if the diesel pontoon is free of the plastic boat,  and will phone electrician to see if he can come asap.

I may move to Lincoln today, but I understand it's £10 a night, and I don't think cat will like it, he likes fields.

Edited by LadyG

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

What are you on about, there is no 'immersion switch' but the water is  hot, but that is to be expected if the fire is on or the engine is on, and either one of these is on every day, every single day, so I never run out of hot water. 

I have found a fuse which is labeled heater, and pulled it, now found a standard house switch which says immersion, itvwas in the standard On position, but no light in the standard illuminating switch.

The latest electrician mentioned a draw on the power, but he put it down to the 375amp Victron, explaining that all invertors draw power, but could not quantify.

Red bit - 5 amps would be high when its on standby, more likely half an amp.

Come on folks, I know Lady G can ask some fairly basic questions, but we can't all be experts, especially where fizz bang whirr things are concerned. My brother is a highly qualified electrical engineer, but when it comes to 12 volt DC he takes a step backwards and confesses that it confuses him. Another friend is an accountant, I used to do the books for a couple of companies for his firm to do the income tax, he used to say that he couldn't do the book keeping side of things, it confused him.

I'm sure Lady G has talents we haven't seen, just not electrical!

By the way, pop into a coffee shop, or pub, have a drink, take your time while you surreptitiously plug your laptop into their mains power to charge it - or even ask them, most places don't mind too much. Ebay do 12 volt power supply cables for most laptops enabling you to charge from your 12 volt system .

Edited by manxmike
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's a bit unkind! 

Sad thing is, it may be the truth. If you have read many of the OP’s posts, she gives the impression in most that she likes a drink and a lot of her replies make little sense sometimes.

Maybe life on a boat isn’t for her and not so easy and joyous as she thought.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Sad thing is, it may be the truth. If you have read many of the OP’s posts, she gives the impression in most that she likes a drink and a lot of her replies make little sense sometimes.

Maybe life on a boat isn’t for her and not so easy and joyous as she thought.

It isn't ok to kick someone, when they're down. Best to keep the gob shut. 

• Greenie 1

Why are you only now finding switches and fuses for electrical appliances now?

You’ve been on the boat a while and have obviously learnt little about how it works, or what the switches are for. This is basic stuff and you wonder why people are short with you on here. It’s just one thing after another. Maybe it’s time you gave up as your not getting far.

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

It isn't ok to kick someone, when they're down. Best to keep the gob shut. 

You obviously know very little about this person.

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have found a fuse which is labeled heater, and pulled it, now found a standard house switch which says immersion, it was in the standard On position, but no light in the standard illuminating switch.

I am going out to check if the diesel pontoon is free of the plastic boat,  and will phone electrician to see if he can come asap.

I may move to Lincoln today, but I understand it's £10 a night, and I don't think cat will like it, he likes fields.

There are free CRT moorings in Lincoln just before you get into Brayford Pool. You don't need to pay.

The cat will have great fun around the uni buildings. Lots of places for him to play.