The next breach? G.U Aylesbury Arm.

Nunovyrbizz

Featured Posts

Could the poor state of repair of the towpath on the Aylesbury Arm lead to another breach?

Approx 50 yards away from Circus fields basin I came across this leak(?), there is hardly any surface above the flowing water under the towpath. I can see a couple of bad outcomes here, firstly the possibility of a serious breach of the canal wall collapsing into the Brook below. Secondly, it won't be long before the surface collapses under an unsuspecting walker or cyclist.

The second video is taken approximately 100 yards further on in the Marsworth direction away from town.

If there is a breach it will leave the boaters of Circus Fields stranded again following the lock collapse by the Arla site some year ago.

First video; https://youtu.be/fi1FO3df1KM

Second video;

Edited by Nunovyrbizz
Clarify videos because one is embedded and the other isn't

I've reported a couple on the Ayles to CRT, in 2019, one worse than this which had caused a huge sink hole in the towpath and one slightly less than this one. In both cases they came and got a temporary repair in pretty quickly

I phoned them, took the videos about 5 days ago, called them from the towpath when I first saw it. Have walked the path every morning since.I was expecting at least a reaction on Monday by at least setting up a better cordon around the hole. It’s Wednesday and nothing has happened so I thought I'd put it out to the wider community.

9 minutes ago, Nunovyrbizz said:

I phoned them, took the videos about 5 days ago, called them from the towpath when I first saw it. Have walked the path every morning since.I was expecting at least a reaction on Monday by at least setting up a better cordon around the hole. It’s Wednesday and nothing has happened so I thought I'd put it out to the wider community.

How frustrating! Possibly should have said you were a cyclist who’s got his tyres wet….they might have done something then! 

• Greenie 2