Aberdulais Aqueduct - severe damage

Featured Posts

I've been to Swansea today - first trip into the principality since 2019, 2020 was the first year of my adult life that I didn't set foot in Wales. Anyway, I digress...

On the way back I stopped at Aberdulais, as I often have before. I last saw the aqueduct on the Tennant Canal in October 2018 - safe to say I was shocked by what I saw today.

The floodwaters have hit it hard, tearing up the upstream face and throwing it into the trough. Floods often go over the aqueduct, but this has been the case for 200 years. There are tree trunks blocking the affected arches and the weir upstream is broken focusing the bulk of the flow through just two of the ten arches. 

20210511_131547.jpg

20210511_131759.jpg

Edited by magpie patrick

• 4 months later...

Hi. I work for a waterways charity and would love to use your photo of Aberdulais Aqueduct as part of our heritage campaign - & although we've got photos & have been doing some work there, your photo is from a better angle. If you'd like more info, please email joanne.mass@waterways.org.uk or reply here. Thanks very much.

On 08/10/2021 at 14:38, heritagehunter said:

Hi. I work for a waterways charity and would love to use your photo of Aberdulais Aqueduct as part of our heritage campaign - & although we've got photos & have been doing some work there, your photo is from a better angle. If you'd like more info, please email joanne.mass@waterways.org.uk or reply here. Thanks very much.

I've emailed you