Recommended Boat Brokerage

Hrk1ng

Featured Posts

Thanks @LadyG we are thinking 57ft as there’s us two and two good sized dogs. 

Thank you @Skeg we have been keeping an eye on the ABNB page as we watch the Well Deck Diaries on YouTube and their boat was from there. 

40 minutes ago, mark99 said:

What are you looking for?

I know a beauty coming up for sale soon.

We are looking for a 57ft narrowboat (we think) with a traditional layout but with a cruiser deck. 

2 minutes ago, Hrk1ng said:

Thanks @LadyG we are thinking 57ft as there’s us two and two good sized dogs. 

Thank you @Skeg we have been keeping an eye on the ABNB page as we watch the Well Deck Diaries on YouTube and their boat was from there. 

We are looking for a 57ft narrowboat (we think) with a traditional layout but with a cruiser deck. 

Ok the boat I know is 62 foot with traditional stern. Will not suit you if looking for a cruiser stern.

Budget?

2 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Ok the boat I know is 62 foot with traditional stern. Will not suit you if looking for a cruiser stern.

Budget?

Well we are looking at new builds too so max budget is 120k. However, if we could get away with paying less for a decent used boat this would also be good. It will only be used for leisure purposes but we don’t have the time or the inclination (see post about the damned cottage) to refurb or do up. Needs to be a sanctuary away from work and home chaos. 

Edited by Hrk1ng

You can visit Whilton, Braunston ABNB and probably Dunchurch Pools in a day assuming an early start and not looking at every boat. Other brokers in the area likely with less choice but if you look online you can figure whether there's anything that might be interesting

A lot of brokers in Cheshire too

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

I hate the fact that intelligent and reasonable people like smelly and alan will advice newbie to throw bunch of cash to buy a boat with the hope that nothing bad will happen.

DO NOT listen, it's your money OP. Just because others are mad, you dont need to.

Oy, stop calling me intelligent and reasonable :P be fair I also said its a personal take on risk!! The house I am just purchasing was built in 1890 and I have had no survey whatsoever rather than have some bloke point out the obvious faults there will be with an old house if you look hard enough.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Oy, stop calling me intelligent and reasonable :P be fair I also said its a personal take on risk!! The house I am just purchasing was built in 1890 and I have had no survey whatsoever rather than have some bloke point out the obvious faults there will be with an old house if you look hard enough.

The power of using your own money.

If you are using someone elses money they can tell you what you are allowed to do with it, what rules apply and what security they expect, if you use your own then you get to choose how you spend it. (A bit like something that happened at 11:00pm 31st December 2020)

• Greenie 2

The best broker is the one with the most boats on offer, they are really just second hand car dealers, some better than others. Personally I would rather buy off Apollo Duck, you still have to travel to view it, you still need a survey (Just a hull survey is the important bit) and you still need to negotiate a price but for window shopping just wander round the brokers.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

not everybody is swimming in money, Mr Mcduck.. :)

• Haha 1

When we were looking at boats, we came down from Scotland and stayed 2 nights in a Travelodge at Trentham Gardens. It gave us the opportunity and the time to look at a variety of boats before we found the one that was for us. 

Edited by AllanD
Omitted word
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, AllanD said:

When we were looking at boats, we came down from Scotland and stayed 2 nights in a Travelodge at Trentham Gardens. It gave us the opportunity and the time to look at a variety of boats before we found the one that was for us. 

That's a brilliant idea!

3 hours ago, AllanD said:

That is exactly what we did, we live in the NE but were looking at boats in the Midlands - we stayed at the Holiday Inn in Rugby.