redex anyone?

jenevers

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Anyone use Redex with good results?

If its ordinary Redex upper cylinder lubricant then yes, brilliant for an Italian tune up. The smoke and carbon you blow out of the exhaust pipe is a wonder to watch:giggles:

I think the Redex brand market a number of fuel additive products so which one are you asking about?

Personally with modern oils regularly changed I can't see it would be worth the money in a well running engine. If the engine is not well running it would be better to sort the problem properly rather than use magic potions.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

On our type of diesels it won't do any harm and just might do some good but I can't see one dose in the comparatively huge boat tank doing much good as a one time product.

My 60 gallon tank has only 20 gallons in it at the moment. So I thought now would be a good time. Plus I want to run the tank down to get the old diesel used up rather than keep adding new to old.

For a proper clean of injector pumps and injectors. The almost neat fix. Work fast.  Remove the engines fuel filter, tip out half of the fuel and top up with injector cleaner, bung the filter back on, you might have to bleed a bit. start up on a highish throttle opening. Run engine for a good while. You will notice how clean the exhaust is for a while, and then much cleaner than it was. I've got many diesel vehicles through the MOT like this, and its cleaned up injector nozzles on boat marine engines and got them working again with the engine hitting on all cylinders again. All by this method.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

For a proper clean of injector pumps and injectors. The almost neat fix. Work fast.  Remove the engines fuel filter, tip out half of the fuel and top up with injector cleaner, bung the filter back on, you might have to bleed a bit. start up on a highish throttle opening. Run engine for a good while. You will notice how clean the exhaust is for a while, and then much cleaner than it was. I've got many diesel vehicles through the MOT like this, and its cleaned up injector nozzles on boat marine engines and got them working again with the engine hitting on all cylinders again. All by this method.

With the forte product you can tip out ALL the fuel and run the engine on it neat. It's good, effective stuff but I think it's trade only.

1 hour ago, jenevers said:

... but I’m sure that if these cleaners didn’t work, the world of science would have proved them useless by now. 

Absolutely - it's been a long time since anyone has been sold anything that doesn't work... 

:icecream:

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Absolutely - it's been a long time since anyone has been sold anything that doesn't work... 

:icecream:

Hmm. Wynn’s have been around for 80 years. Think they would have been found out by now if their products didn’t work. NASA uses them so that’s good enough for me.

4 hours ago, jenevers said:

Hmm. Wynn’s have been around for 80 years. Think they would have been found out by now if their products didn’t work. NASA uses them so that’s good enough for me.

I didn't say Wynn's doesn't  work, I was questioning the concept that everything that doesn't work is removed from sale, since that suggests there are no bad or ineffective products on the market.