Multi-fuel stove

Zuzanna

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Zuzanna said:

Hello

I'm trying to find the best woodburner for my canal boat. It's 10ft x 45ft. What do you recommend?

Do you really mean 'woodburner' ?

Wood is not easy to obtain and with the new legislation about selling wood (implemented 1st May 2021) it will probably get harder to find.

Most boaters use a multi-fuel stove which will burn both wood (when you can get it) and smokeless fuels (brillo-pad type nuggets) the rest of the time.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

the new legislation about selling wood (implemented 1st May 2021)

What are these? We rarely use the stove on our boat, but we burn wood in the one at home each winter, hence my interest.

I must say that finding wood "not easy to obtain" has not been my experience, up till now anyway.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

What are these? We rarely use the stove on our boat, but we burn wood in the one at home each winter, hence my interest.

I must say that finding wood "not easy to obtain" has not been my experience, up till now anyway.

Wood can only be sold if it is properly dry.

Fresh or wet wood cannot be sold.

Selling wood for domestic use in England - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Compliance checks

Local authorities are responsible for enforcing the rules. An enforcement officer may check:

• small bags of wood are sold with the Ready to Burn logo, certification number and supplier or manufacturer details displayed correctly
  • certification details against the certification list
  • correct information on drying is provided to customers for wood fuel volumes of 2 cubic metres or more
  • sales records (including sales to third-party retailers)
  • how you’re storing wood (so that you aren’t selling it to customers damaged or wet)
  • delivery records to households within smoke control areas

Fines

You could be fined if:

• you sell unauthorised fuel
  • you’ve stored fuel so it has a moisture content of more than 20%
  • the fuel does not have the ‘Ready to Burn’ logo or is not labelled correctly

You could get a:

• £300 fixed penalty fine issued by your local authority
  • fine of more than £300 depending on the severity of the offence issued by the courts
Edited by Alan de Enfield

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wood is not easy to obtain and with the new legislation about selling wood (implemented 1st May 2021) it will probably get harder to find.

Most boaters use a multi-fuel stove which will burn both wood (when you can get it) and smokeless fuels (brillo-pad type nuggets) the rest of the time.

Not sure why you think this?

Our supplier has no issue complying with the new legislation.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

We also burn wood but on a bed of coal  but we have never burnt wood with a moisture content greater than 20% (this being better for the stove and flue) and have always found it easy to locate. The new legislation makes this % a fundamental requirement along with new additional requirements about labelling and storage.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

You can burn whatever you want but suppliers will need to comply with the new regs, as Alan has posted, small suppliers have a years grace but that's all most firewood suppliers will fall foul of the new legislation.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Not sure why you think this?

Our supplier has no issue complying with the new legislation.

I suspect prices may go up, to be frank the MC regs are a touch unrealistic in this damp climate the MC will increase once stored and possibly put the timber outside of the regs.

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apologies I meant multi-fuel stove! Thank you for correcting me!

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

I would certainly make sure that whichever stove you go for make sure that it is Defra approved for use in smoke exempt areas , as the rulings are only going to get tighter. 

I wouldn't bother. You might get a stove that's approved for smoke controlled areas but I don't think you've got much chance of installing it on a boat so that it complies with regulations.

For example, for my stove Morso state that it needs a minimum of 3.5 - 4m combined flue and chimney length in order to draw properly and burn fuels efficiently. I think it's the same for the Squirrel. You can't realistically meet that criterion on a boat but without that it's unlikely to comply with any smoke control regs. 

5 hours ago, Zuzanna said:

Hello

I'm trying to find the best multi-fule stove for my canal boat. It's 10ft x 45ft. What do you recommend?

When considering all these recommendations you need to think about the kW output of the stove. I'd say for your boat you want no less than a stove with a 5 or 6 kW output. 

Edited by blackrose

16 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

The Boatman stove we have works very well and the Back Boiler is very efficient. Available from Eddie at Northern Fabrication Services | (boatmanstove.co.uk)

(no connection to me, just a very satisfied customer)

Thank you for posting that, apologies to derail the thread but I've been looking for a stove with back boiler for a reasonable price and couldn't find anything, that one's perfect! 

2 hours ago, cheesegas said:

Thank you for posting that, apologies to derail the thread but I've been looking for a stove with back boiler for a reasonable price and couldn't find anything, that one's perfect! 

Eddie that makes them is a really nice guy, but don't call him too early in the morning he's not an early riser.He will call you back if you leave a message. We picked ours up so no delivery costs. but there again he is only just around the M60 from me

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2021 at 17:30, Chagall said:

I thoroughly recommend the Chilli Penguin Stove, beautifully made. The guys are very helpful with regard to installation. 

https://chillipenguin.co.uk/products-stoves/

I'll second all of that having fitted a couple. Expensive but the Rolls Royce of stoves ........... and I go back 40 odd years of fitting stoves. And yes, I do own one!

• Greenie 1

A lot comes down to personal preference and where you want to fit the stove/how much space you have etc etc,

Many boaters fit the Morso Squirrel and would not consider anything else. Another faction (myself included) much prefer a stove built from welded steel rather than cast iron.

............Dave

• Greenie 1